The False vs True Gift Of Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, really, seems like you've not seen my posts. The gift of tongues is alive and being manifest in countless church groups. Just because your church isn't one of them don't make the mistake of generalising without knowing the full facts.
The facts are in the bible. Because people are babbling some incoherent nonsense that no one understands is not validation.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The facts are in the bible. Because people are babbling some incoherent nonsense that no one understands is not validation.
I personally do not 'babble some incoherent nonsense'. Why do you just dismiss people's testimonies? If you were actually interested you would want to know the facts.

• Love
Reactions: Rita and amadeus

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mr 16:17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
You're casting out devils, healing the sick and the lame, performing miracles, prophesying, along with speaking in unknown earthly tongues, too, right?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gift is for a purpose just like all the others from the Holy Spirit and not just blabbing unintelligent with no understading, it had to be able to communicate the gospel not just nonsense noises.

Isaiah 66:18
For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.

Acts 2:4-8
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Acts 2:11
Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

1 Corinthians 14:23
If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

The gift of tongues was the many languages that were there at the time of the different nations, so it was given for this purpose, and it has been distorted with the babbling many use today.
It's not a gift. It's the manifestation of the spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:7
But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man...

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, I think that people who believe what you say @Hobie have never had the gift and so assume that because you don't have it then it must be obsolete. I have had it for many years and so do many people I know.

I was thanking God only this morning for my gift of tongues. I love to sing in tongues, as well as pray, as singing was my very first experience of the gift. And I have to tell you that it is not 'babbling'. My gift manifests as beautiful tunes - always different - with verses and choruses and a natural end.

Also when I pray in tongues there is a pattern as in ordinary speech, with commas and full stops - i.e. a proper syntax.

If you have only ever heard 'babbling' maybe that's why you don't believe, but there are some real languages that may sound like babbling, one even sounds like clicking.

So please don't generalise and dismiss what God has given. Instead you could ask Him to give you the gift.

There have been similar threads on every Christian site I've belonged to and things can get nasty very quickly as those of who do have the gift are ganged up on. Even called heretics or liars. So I hope this thread doesn't descend into such negativity.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reader,

Here is how to understand this "tongues" issue...

There is the "Gift of a foreign language" that God gives , for the purpose of ministering to people who can't understand your language..

Notice, that during Pentecost, in Acts 2... Peter is using the Gift of Tongues.. and its explained like this... "we heard Him preach in OUR Language"... said some of those JEWS who were there that day, listening.
Notice also that Peter was never water baptized that day, and yet, he received this spiritual Gift.

So, that is the "GIFT of Tongues"..

Now why is this such a confused mess... in the body of Christ, regarding understanding it..????

Its because there is also a "prayer language" that is for "self edification"...
This is a spiritual phenomenon... a manifestation... that is real, but is often faked by people who want to make you believe that they are "spiritual"....
Watch out for these nut-bars, as they have some issues in their head that lead them to behave like that, and its not good.

The "tongues" CONFUSION< is created by the Charismatic and Pentecostal movement, who do not make or understand the distinction between a prayer language manifesting , that is for personal self edification, and the GIFT of a Foreign Language, that is the #9 Spiritual Gift on Paul's List of Spiritual Gifts.

Notice that it's always PAUL who is teaching all the deep doctrinal aspects regarding doctrine for the Church.
Paul is your Teacher.... Study His Epistles.

Start here..

Hebrews 13:8
Romens 3:21-28
2 Corinthians 5:19
Romans 4:8

Now, there are those who will say that "all this Apostle stuff" , all "" the early Church Stuff, is no longer in process""", based on a couple of NT verses.
And i know the verses, but that is not this post., so, those of you who know those verses, dont need to get upset.
Just relax.
You can start your own Thread on those verses regarding this topic, .... if you feel the urge, and i'll meet you there, if i see it.

However...= This post is to show you the distinction between a "SIGN" gift, that is "The gift of Tongues" "that are for a SIGN">..... and a spiritual manifestation that is a "prayer language" that is not the "Gift of Tongues".

Reader.....These 2 are not the same, and a few denominations don't make this distinction, and that is what causes a lot of confusion, regarding this topic, worldwide.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You're casting out devils, healing the sick and the lame, performing miracles, prophesying, along with speaking in unknown earthly tongues, too, right?
Not me personally but I know people who do.

It's a shame you don't have the fulness of the Holy Spirit to help you understand that when Jesus left His Spirit on earth He is still here, being helper, guide, counsellor, giver of gifts, advocate, and paraclete. He also encourages, inspires.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not me personally but I know people who do.

It's a shame you don't have the fulness of the Holy Spirit to help you understand that when Jesus left His Spirit on earth He is still here, being helper, guide, counsellor, giver of gifts, advocate, and paraclete. He also encourages, inspires.
So these people you know perform miracles, straighten crooked, deformed legs, give sight back to the blind, heal diseases, and more?

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, really, seems like you've not seen my posts. The gift of tongues is alive and being manifest in countless church groups. Just because your church isn't one of them don't make the mistake of arrogantly generalising without knowing the full facts. Just because you personally don't do it or believe in it does not mean other people still use the gift of tongues every day. God knows our hearts and he sees your unbelief.

Read my posts 2 and 4.
The thing is, the members dont test to see if it is from God or from evil, and the devil is very cunning and deceiving many with these false tongues. We have to test the spirits, and that means that one must examine the scriptures and see that those using the 'tongues' are truly followers of God. Rather than accept their word, look at their lives and see what they are, of self or really lifting up the things of God. Need to discern my sister...

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So these people you know perform miracles, straighten crooked, deformed legs, give sight back to the blind, heal diseases, and more?
Yes. And brought a dead baby back to life and seen a woman's eye grow in an empty socket. I myself have had miraculous healings at least twice. God is awesome. He is the same today as he always was. Get to know that truly awesome God and stop grieving His Holy spirit by deny His power.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The thing is, the members dont test to see if it is from God or from evil, and the devil is very cunning and deceiving many with these false tongues. We have to test the spirits, and that means that one must examine the scriptures and see that those using the 'tongues' are truly followers of God. Rather than accept their word, look at their lives and see what they are of self or really lifting up the things of God. Need to discern my sister...
I can see your point, but conversely a true Christian is given discernment and if somebody says they speak in tongues they should look at that persons life/posts to see if they are of self or really lifting up the things of God. They/ you should look at my posts.

To consistently refuse to accept my testimony that I speak and sing in tongues - and know many others who do - is to cast aspersions on my honesty and virtually call me a liar or even deluded. I am neither and your accusations are disrespectful.

You started this post - and there have been many before on the same subject - from the position of being an unbeliever in the fact that the gift of tongues is still alive and well in some of todays Church. Obviously your own church fellowship does not teach that which is a shame because it is a vital part of the full gospel.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally do not 'babble some incoherent nonsense'. Why do you just dismiss people's testimonies? If you were actually interested you would want to know the facts.
I am afraid that this is what it amounts to if its not a language that someone has so you can communicate with. That is what Christ asked us to do, preach the Gospel to all the nations and peoples, not waste our time saying we can 'speak in tongues' that no one can speak or edify with truth..

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1 Corinthians 12:1 : "now concerning spiritual GIFTS"

Romans 11:29 " :
For the GIFTS and calling of God are without repentance.
Yes, I received the gift of tongues after I became Born Again...

Do you speak in tongues @Behold ?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am afraid that this is what it amounts to if its not a language that someone has so you can communicate with. That is what Christ asked us to do, preach the Gospel to all the nations and peoples, not waste our time saying we can 'speak in tongues' that no one can speak or edify with truth..
I was given the gift of tongues....I never speak in tongues, even though I have that gift.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
See post number 4. There more than one manifestation of tongues. Don't suppose you'll even look. I'm done here, being doubted.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
See post number 4. There more than one manifestation of tongues. Don't suppose you'll even look. I'm done here, being doubted.
I’m interested, what does that mean Pearl?

Do you know why I don’t use my gift of tongues?

Sis...stay strong and speak Gods truth as you do.