TULIP an open discussion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The promise is to those who have been born again. None of them will fall away. God removes contingency.

That is your philosophy.

The believers are to remain in the faith to the end to inherit the promises. You choose to reject God's Word; so, that is on you.

Hebrews 6:11-12 (WEB) 11 We desire that {{{each one of you}}} may show the same diligence to the fullness of hope even to the end, 12 that you won’t be sluggish, but imitators of those who through {{{faith and perseverance}}} inherited the promises.

Hebrews 10:36 (WEB) 36 You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.

Hebrews 4:1 (WEB) {{{Let us}}} [Paul includes himself as the "us"} fear therefore, lest perhaps anyone of you should seem to have come short of a promise of entering into his rest.

2 Peter 2:10-11 (WEB) 10 Therefore, {{{brothers and sisters}}}, be more diligent to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never stumble. 11 For thus you will be richly supplied with the entrance into the Eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

You are assuming ideas that aren't in the text.

Just quoted the Scriptures, and you object to the Scriptures. Therefore, it is you who is assuming your own ideas into the text.

In Romans 5, Paul is not saying that our love for God is poured out into our hearts. Rather, he is saying that due to God's love for us, he has poured out his Holy Spirit into our hearts.

That is not what Paul stated:

Romans 5:5 and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

setst777 said: What do the Scriptures state?

God is not willing that "anyone" should perish, even those who remain in wickedness, but God is not unjust for punishing those who deliberately refuse to repent.

Romans 2:4-5 ”Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,“

As you can see, God is kind and patient with all mankind, desiring us to repent, leading us to repentance, but not everyone will repent, although God patiently and kindly is leading all mankind to repentance. All this would be hypocritical by God, if God had already planned, determined, decreed and created mankind to think and act according to His will.

Your explanation isn't valid because it dismisses or ignores Paul's argument in Romans 11.

Paul wrote "Romans 2:4-5." Paul does not contradict himself. Paul does not dismiss or ignore what Paul wrote.

Nothing in "Romans 11" refutes what Paul wrote in "Romans 2:4-5."

Romans 2:4-5 ”Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's not overlook the essence of Jesus's argument here. According to Jesus, God is accountable for whether someone has faith in Jesus or not. People believe in Jesus because God has granted them to Jesus. Those who do not have faith in Jesus do so because God has not given them to Jesus.
That is Calvinism ... or predestination 101.
Your explanation isn't valid because it dismisses or ignores Paul's argument in Romans 11.

Not at all. I study the Bible and ignore the so-called "confessions."
When I was younger... knowing the Westminster Confession of Faith was Drafted at the behest of Church of England and then was major in many, if not all Presbyterian churches... especially those of Scottish roots... and that was the church that baptised me ... and some Baptists and other Reformed churches followed it I frankly just thought of it as a part of church rules along with the catechism, and never gave it a thought.
I'm sure I disagree with the confession at various points.

I'm sure you do too as if your church had not been one of those that went by that
it likely would have, if you were aware, struck you that it was akin to the RCC Catechism.

It does after all talk on marriage, and against divorce.

A tremendous amount on faith.

It covers baptism and Holy Communion where they Baptism and Holy Communion
(not to be confused with the RCC, cause the juice and bread stay juice and bread)

It states no one but an ordained minister or elder can perform a baptism....

Ummm... all sorts of rules and explanations of the 5 Solas of Reformation yada yada.

Certainly to a young person this all sounded and seemed to be authentic.
You are to be commended in my opinion. You are not alone. :)
Yes, I did study and learn and question and then i discovered religious forums. NO COMMENT for I could tell you horror stories on what other churches brainwash their flock into believing.
Always speak the truth as I know you already do.

Why not. Do you mind my asking?
Why dont I buy it.... as presented by the self appointed prophet. (He thought himself to be)
and then copied by the Church of England and Reformed churches who chose to use it?

I cannot believe that the God we have always been told is of love would deliberately bar anyone from salvation. Especially at the times that Calvin said they would be sent to eternal hell fire.

I keep bringing this up... Do you remember Karla Faye Tucker???????
On her way to her execution she said this....

Karla Faye Tucker's final statement​

February 3, 1998
Web posted at: 9:35 p.m. EST (0235 GMT)
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (CNN) -- Below is the final statement of Karla Faye Tucker, according to the Texas Department of Corrections' official transcript.

"Yes sir, I would like to say to all of you, the Thornton family and Jerry Dean's family that I am so sorry. I hope God will give you peace with this.

"Baby, I love you. Ron, give Peggy a hug for me. Everybody has been so good to me. I love all of you very much. I'm going to be face-to-face with Jesus now.

"Warden Baggett, thank all of you so much. You have been so good to me. I love all of you very much. I will see you all when you get there. I will wait for you."

Look up any of the links here to see what it was all about

Let me say if her life was planned that she would butcher those 2 people and then have a true conversion while in prison and start a prison ministry... it does not track to me.

She obviously heard or read something that got her thinking and wanting to change.

And I fully believe in free will.

I believe she changed... predestination people will say no, she could not.

OK... thats enough on this

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We have been Born Again by the Living word of God, Born Again a Living Supernatural/ Spiritual rebirth that only God can do, never ever to be un- birthed, whoever the Father gives to the Son he won’t lose one of them...being Born Again of imperishable/ incorruptible seed...is “ mind blowing “ then it would be....Spirit gives birth to spirit.....He births our spirit into His....we are His Spiritual Children, without the Living word of God that gives birth to our spirit....we are nothing...nothing without His Spirit residing in our spirit, we have the Living witness all day every day, witnessing that truth to our heart/ spirit..

Working to keep one self saved is work based and not biblical for a “ Born Again “ just as Gods word says, Born Again of imperishable seed that “ Liveth and abideth forever.....abideth forever in our hearts, where it will flourish and grow, because it was planted by Gods “ Living seed”....Praise God.

1 Peter 1​

King James Version​

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.
10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:
18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

2 Peter 1:3
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

New Living Translation
By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence.

English Standard Version
His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,

Berean Standard Bible
His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through the knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.

Berean Literal Bible
Accordingly, His divine power has given us all things toward life and godliness, through the knowledge of the One having called us by His own glory and excellence,

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A = Father gives people to Jesus.
B = They believe

A causes B.
Amen!!...

We must be Born of The Spirit to be able to believe .....without being Born Of The Spirit, no one could possibly know who Jesus was, they would only know in their intellect/ mind....

We need to know in our spirit, only God can grant that ,via His Living word who is the Holy Spirit... which he does , by His mercy and grace, that we don’t deserve.

A Born Again was chosen and predestined by God, for His purpose and plan....a Born Again gives all Glory to God regarding the Spiritual rebirth......no one can freely choose to becoming Born Of The Spirit......we are Born Again by Gods Living word, which is backed up by His written word.....that’s how we are Born Of The Spirit....just like the wind...you never know the time ,or the day, that Spirit will give birth to spirit..

When He does Spirit gives birth to spirit.....you will NEVER forget the Living word , as Gods word is Alive and Active and accomplishes what His word is set out to do....nothing can stop the will of God.

Freewillers assume that God forces his will onto us, because they can only understand in the intellect, they can’t understand in the Spirit, imo...hence Born Of The Spirit....only then do we start our spiritual journey with God via His Spirit......we go from intellect understanding ( the flesh) to understanding in the Spirit, we grow and mature in our spirit...as long as we are Born Again by the Living word of God.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CadyandZoe

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. Jesus tells us what made the difference between those who believed him and those who didn't. The reason why some believed while others didn't believe is because the Father gave them to Jesus. He isn't saying that the Father gave them to Jesus because they believed. He is saying that they believed because the Father gave them to Jesus.

B = They believe

A causes B.
How do I know God the Father gave me to Jesus?

Has to be more then "I believe"

From before grade school I believed. I believed because my mom told me as did the church and Sunday school I attended.

I believed even when my RCC friends were not allowed to go to my church with me because their church forbade it. And why did I believe. I was told it was true.

And this was before I ever took the classes to join my church around the age of 12... where we "THEN" accepted Jesus.

But at that time my belief did not increase... it was only confirmed.

So I repeat.

You say
B = They believe

A causes B.

So I ask you when did Father God give me to Jesus? At confirmation or at birth?

Because my belief came and always has been....

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You can’t believe in Jesus without being Born Again of imperishable seed, then you have the Living witness, witnessing to your spirit all day every day Gods truth...took me many years to understand that in the spirit.

Spirit must give birth to spirit...all Glory goes to God as he brought me to that understanding via His Spirit, that’s how a Born Again communicates with God, via our spirit, then what we hear him speak, we go to his written word to check it out..if it’s not there, then it wasn’t from God, His Living word never contradicts his written word.

Last edited:

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have been Born Again by the Living word of God, Born Again a Living Supernatural/ Spiritual rebirth that only God can do, never ever to be un- birthed, whoever the Father gives to the Son he won’t lose one of them...being Born Again of imperishable/ incorruptible seed...is “ mind blowing “ then it would be....Spirit gives birth to spirit.....He births our spirit into His....we are His Spiritual Children, without the Living word of God that gives birth to our spirit....we are nothing...nothing without His Spirit residing in our spirit, we have the Living witness all day every day, witnessing that truth to our heart/ spirit..

Working to keep one self saved is work based and not biblical for a “ Born Again “ just as Gods word says, Born Again of imperishable seed that “ Liveth and abideth forever.....abideth forever in our hearts, where it will flourish and grow, because it was planted by Gods “ Living seed”....Praise God.

:Thumbsup:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is your philosophy, because that is not what the author is saying.
Exegesis of a passage seeks to understand the passage at hand. If you want to argue with my interpretation of John 6, then use John 6 to make your case.

Read carefully the Passages above which plainly teach repeatedly that God grants, calls, and commands both the Jews and Gentiles to repent and believe to be saved, and God shows no favoritism.\
None of the passages you quoted disprove my interpretation of John 6.
Lord Jesus plainly stated that those whom the Father gives him are those who believe in the Son.
I agree, but you think Jesus meant to say, "The Father is giving the Son believers because they believed." That is not what Jesus is saying.

John 6:39-40 (WEB) 39 This is the will of my Father who sent me, that of {{{all}}} he has given to me I should lose nothing, but should raise him up at the last day. 40 {{{For}}} this is the will of the one who sent me, that everyone who sees the Son, and believes in him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

The word "For" tells us that Lord Jesus gives an explanation that identifies who the "all" are that God gives to the Son - "everyone who believes." And that is what Lord Jesus teaches throughout, and that is the Gospel.
Yes, we talked about this before. Jesus indicates those whom the Father has given him. But contrary to your conclusion, he is not saying that belief was a prerequisite to being gifted to the son. Jesus is saying that belief is a marker, an identifier of the one whom the Father has given to the son. They believe BECAUSE they were given to the son, not the other way around.
Lord Jesus stated that the will of God is to give to the Son those who believe.
No, he didn't say that. He said that all that the Father gave to Jesus wouldn't be lost. They are believers, yes, but the Father's promise is that they won't fall away from the faith. If someone does fall away from the faith, then that person was not given to Jesus by the Father.
Just read what the Passages state. Lord Jesus said nothing about cultivating the soil.
He mentions the good soil, which is cultivated soil. And who cultivates the soil if not the farmer.

Lord Jesus said that some seeds fell on different types of soils.
Yes, the parable is based on real-life farming practices. One such practice is called "broadcasting," where a farmer takes a handful of seeds from a bag and throws them in a semi-circular motion over a patch of land. Broadcasting seeds is not a very accurate way of planting, so the seeds end up falling on different types of soil. Traditionally, farmers prepare soil by tilling it. This involves plowing, disking, or harrowing to break up the soil, remove weeds, and create a seedbed. Given this background, we can draw a few conclusions

Soils:
Road = land subjected to a high degree of compaction and not subjected to tilling.
Rocky = land containing rocks, which keeps the seed from falling into deeper soil.
Weeds = land containing weeds and other noxious plants.
Good = a tilled field, where the soil is broken up, and the rocks and weeds are removed.

The good soil represents a good and honest heart. And just as a farmer prepares a field to accept the seed, God prepares the heart to accept the word. Consequently, a heart that the Father prepares will believe the word and endure to the end.

If you discount cultivation, then you don't know about farming.

The Scriptures plainly state that the Spirit indwells those who believe first to give the believer life.
The indwelling of the Spirit is correlated with belief, but correlation does not imply causation.
Zero Scriptures state that we receive the Spirit so we can believe; so, that is nothing more than your philosophy.
Zero Scriptures mention the existence of refrigerators, but this doesn't mean refrigerators don't exist. There are many scriptural references as to why some people don't believe when it seems like they should. And what is the stated reason for why some believe while others don't? Let's look at the passages.
Ephesians 1:13 (WEB) 13 In him you also, having heard the word of the truth, the Good News of your salvation - in whom, having also believed, you were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit
How does Paul know this? Think about it. One lesson we learn from the Parable of the Sower is that not all those who believe will continue to believe under trial and temptation. But somehow Paul knows that his readers have been "sealed" and what does that mean? To be "sealed" in this context is to be guaranteed the expected inheritance of eternal life. There must be something distinctive about these particular Ephesians, setting them apart from other believers such that Paul can confidently conclude that these believers have been guaranteed the inheritance.
John 7:38-39 (WEB) 38 He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive.
Again, while Jesus is correlating belief with being given the Spirit, he has not committed to a direction in this passage. He doesn't say which causes the other or if they both have the same cause.
setst777 said: The born-again Elect Christian is instructed to endure in the faith.
Yes, and born-again Elect Christians are guaranteed to endure.
God chooses to save those who believe, according to all the Scriptures.
Correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation. According to other scriptures, God is not a selector of individuals. Rather, he is a creator of individuals. We talked about this earlier. God is not like the man who goes to the store to buy a pot, selecting one pot from among all the other alternatives. If God were to save those who believe, he would be like the man who selects pots based on whether the pot's features match a set of criteria.

But Paul argues that God forms pots, making them according to a fitting design. God isn't selecting believers, he is creating believers.

You want to refute God, but God wins hands-down.

1 Corinthians 1:21 (WEB) For seeing that in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom didn’t know God, it was God’s good pleasure through the foolishness of the preaching to save those who believe.
I am not refuting God. My argument is with your interpretation of passages taken out of context. Let's bring in more of the context here.

1 Corinthians 1:22-25
For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Do you recall Paul's viewpoint that he shared here? As I mentioned earlier, the Bible provides many reasons why individuals reject the Gospel. Paul notes that the message of Christ's crucifixion is a stumbling block for the Jews and foolishness for the Gentiles. Hence, if not for the assistance of the Spirit of God, no one would believe it.

Paul distinguishes a specific group of people, consisting of both Jews and Gentiles, whom he calls "The called." Through the power of God, the message that is usually a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles becomes wisdom to those who are included in this group.

All one needs to do is understand passages of scripture where the verses appear.

Reactions: Ritajanice

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is your philosophy.
I based my argument on the scriptures.
The believers are to remain in the faith to the end to inherit the promises. You choose to reject God's Word; so, that is on you.
My argument is based on God's word. Remember the passage in Ephesians where Paul mentions that the Ephesians were guaranteed the inheritance, sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise?

Remember in Romans, where Paul argues that hope will not disappoint those who have a tested faith and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?

Remember in 1 Peter, where he confidently asserts that we were born again to a living hope, guaranteed by God's power?

Just quoted the Scriptures, and you object to the Scriptures.
I disagree with the spin you put on them.
That is not what Paul stated:

Romans 5:5 and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
Here we see the disadvantage of taking a verse out of context. There is more to what Paul said than this. Even so, we can use this verse to formulate a series of questions based on your view. According to your view, as I understand it, salvation is a contingency that might happen in the future as long as the believer maintains genuine belief for his or her entire life.

Questions:
  1. Why does Paul say hope does not disappoint? If salvation is conditional, and a person must meet the conditions for a lifetime, then his or her hope might disappoint. Someone in your position has no confidence, assurance, or security with regard to being saved, because you are the agent of your own security.
  2. What does the love of God have to do with it? Many Jewish people love God. Are they saved based on their love for God? What if they love God but reject Jesus?
  3. If salvation is granted to those who believe, why does Paul mention the heart? If belief is a rational decision, and it is, why must I believe in my heart? What's up with that?
The following text has been corrected and simplified for clarity:

These questions expose the weakness of your perspective. If salvation is something that may or may not happen, then Paul's statement that our hope will not disappoint us would be false. If our salvation depends on our personal strength or ability to endure trials, we might lose faith during moments of weakness. We could become disheartened, disillusioned, or distracted by everyday problems at home or work. Faith is subject to failure, and as such, so is hope.

It is important to understand that our hopes may not always be fulfilled in every circumstance. However, Paul believed that hope can be guaranteed if certain conditions are met. If these conditions apply to me, then I can rest assured that my hope will not disappoint me.

What is the basis for a confident expectation if not a proven faith?

Romans 5:3-5
And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

The Parable of the Sower teaches us that faith can be tested and challenged by various trials, temptations, and distractions. However, the Apostle Paul presents an exceptional situation that provides us with a basis for assurance. Paul asserts that hope becomes certain when faith endures and perseveres through tribulations. When we persevere through difficult times and develop a proven character, we can be confident that the things we hope for will surely come to pass.

You are missing an important element in Paul's statement. Biblical hope is a conviction based on reason, a confident expectation that God will keep his promise. In Romans 5, Paul establishes the rational basis for our confidence.

setst777 said: What do the Scriptures state?

God is not willing that "anyone" should perish, even those who remain in wickedness, but God is not unjust for punishing those who deliberately refuse to repent.
He is hypocritical if he claims to wait patiently for repentance while at the same time making it impossible for them to repent.

Reactions: Ritajanice

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is Calvinism ... or predestination 101.
Maybe. I don't know. But did I base my argument on a passage from Calvin? Or any of the other Reformers? I don't think so.
I cannot believe that the God we have always been told is of love would deliberately bar anyone from salvation.
I agree. God doesn't bar anyone from salvation.
And I fully believe in free will.
I once heard a joke about this. :)

A man passed away and went to heaven. Upon his arrival, he noticed two signs at the gate. One sign said, "Stand here if you believe in Free Will." The other sign read, "Stand here if you believe in Predestination." The man turned to someone in line and inquired, "Which line should I be in? I believe in both." The person he asked replied, "Well, if you believe in free will, you might as well stand in this line with us." A little while later, St. Peter approached the man and asked, "Why did you choose to be in this line?" The man responded, "Someone told me to stand here." St. Peter then said, "Well, you belong in the Predestination line, then."

These are difficult issues, no doubt about it. But the predestination passages of the Bible are meant to be encouraging, especially for those who are currently under persecution and subject to doubt and heavy strain. It's as if the Apostles are saying, "you've been tested before and you got through this. You can make it. Keep going. Don't give up. God has got you and he won't let you fall.

Vang me voor ik val.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do I know God the Father gave me to Jesus?

Has to be more then "I believe"
You are right.
From before grade school I believed. I believed because my mom told me as did the church and Sunday school I attended.
Yes, she was helping you learn to trust the trustworthy.
So I ask you when did Father God give me to Jesus? At confirmation or at birth?
God tests the faith of those he calls to confirm it. These tests can be easy or hard, and even Jesus was tested. Satan once tempted Jesus by offering him an easier path to avoid all pain and suffering if he bowed down and worshiped him. Jesus had to choose between suffering and death on the cross or becoming the ruler of the world by bowing down to Satan. It was a tough decision, but Jesus made the right choice by choosing the path of pain and suffering.

Each time we make the right choice, our confidence grows until one day, the question is settled. The New Testament calls this "maturity" in the faith.
Because my belief came and always has been....
complete the sentence. :)

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right.

Yes, she was helping you learn to trust the trustworthy.

God tests the faith of those he calls to confirm it. These tests can be easy or hard, and even Jesus was tested. Satan once tempted Jesus by offering him an easier path to avoid all pain and suffering if he bowed down and worshiped him. Jesus had to choose between suffering and death on the cross or becoming the ruler of the world by bowing down to Satan. It was a tough decision, but Jesus made the right choice by choosing the path of pain and suffering.

Each time we make the right choice, our confidence grows until one day, the question is settled. The New Testament calls this "maturity" in the faith.

complete the sentence. :)
except when the coC came at me and questioned if I was saved as they did not believe I was.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What can you tell me about this passage:

John 1:12-13 KJV
12) But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13) Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Much love!
Simply that when born again you are spiritually alive to God. The Spirit leads you to Christ teaching you so that you believe in His Son. When you do believe in your heart you are sealed by the Holy Spirit and have eternal life.
Those who are led by the Spirit, they are the sons of God, who believe in His name. First off Jesus says John 3 that you must be born again to see the kingdom of God. If you are not born again, you will never see it. See means to perceive it with the heart. That is why the things of God are foolishness to them who do not believe. Jesus also you must be born to enter the kingdom. If you are not first born again, you will not enter.

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exegesis of a passage seeks to understand the passage at hand. If you want to argue with my interpretation of John 6, then use John 6 to make your case.

Yes, to understand we use exegesis. Changing the meaning, or adding your own assumptions, is not exegesis.

As for John 6, I already gave an exact explanation of the Greek used for the word "For" in "John 6:40," and I also showed to you the context, beginning at "John 6:37" in post: TULIP an open discussion

None of the passages you quoted disprove my interpretation of John 6.

You will see only what you want to see, even if a Passage states the exact opposite of what you are seeing.

I agree, but you think Jesus meant to say, "The Father is giving the Son believers because they believed." That is not what Jesus is saying.

That is what Lord Jesus explained in "John 6:39-40," and the word "For" in "verse 40" shows that the explanation follows. This is simple communication, and that is what "for" means.

Yes, we talked about this before. Jesus indicates those whom the Father has given him. But contrary to your conclusion, he is not saying that belief was a prerequisite to being gifted to the son. Jesus is saying that belief is a marker, an identifier of the one whom the Father has given to the son. They believe BECAUSE they were given to the son, not the other way around.

Show me one Scriptures that states that:

"They believe BECAUSE they were given to the son."

No, he didn't say that. He said that all that the Father gave to Jesus wouldn't be lost. They are believers, yes, but the Father's promise is that they won't fall away from the faith. If someone does fall away from the faith, then that person was not given to Jesus by the Father.

We all agree that all the Father gave to Jesus will not be lost. The Father gives to the Son those who believe (present and continuously believing) in the Son. That is God's will and desire.

John 6:40 For [Lord Jesus now identifies who the Father gives to the Son] this is the will of the one who sent me, that everyone who sees the Son, and believes in him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

No guarantee is made in Scripture that the believer will remain in The Faith guaranteed.

Lord Jesus repeats this Good News throughout the Gospels, including the famous "John 3:14-16" and "1 Corinthians 1:21".

We do not pass out of spiritual death onto spiritual life so we can believe, but because we do believe.

You got it all backwards

John 5:24 (WEB) 24 Most certainly I tell you, he who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and doesn’t come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

John 20:31 These are written, that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name.

He mentions the good soil, which is cultivated soil. And who cultivates the soil if not the farmer.

Lord Jesus already interpreted "The Sower," three times (Matthew 13:18-23, Mark 4:13-20, Luke 8:11-15) giving it the meaning he intended. In his explanation, Lord Jesus himself does not state that his parable of "The Sower" has anything to do with cultivating. That is your addition that you are assuming.

You are dissatisfied with Lord Jesus' three explanations, and you desire to add your own assumptions to what he taught. Do not add your assumptions to the Gospel (Galatians 1:8-9).

The indwelling of the Spirit is correlated with belief, but correlation does not imply causation.

There is no correlation; rather, the Scriptures plainly state that we are to believe so we may receive the Holy Spirit.

John 7:38-39 (WEB) 38 He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive.

Galatians 3:2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard?

Galatians 3:14
That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit {through faith}.

Ephesians 1:13 having also believed, you were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit

This teaching is repeated throughout the NT.

Notice that you will reject very plain to understand Scriptures just to hold onto your philosophy.

Zero Scriptures mention the existence of refrigerators, but this doesn't mean refrigerators don't exist. There are many scriptural references as to why some people don't believe when it seems like they should. And what is the stated reason for why some believe while others don't? Let's look at the passages.

Psalms 91:4 (WEB) He will cover you with his feathers. Under his wings you will take refuge.

The Scriptures do not state that God is a flying pink elephant with feathers and wings, but if I was to tell you that God is a pink elephant, would you believe me?

You should believe me, because, according to your reasoning, "Zero Scriptures mention" that God is a pink elephant.

1 Corinthians 4:6 (NIV) 6 Now, brothers and sisters, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, “Do not go beyond what is written.”

Yes, and born-again Elect Christians are guaranteed to endure.

That is not what the Scriptures teach - just the opposite is repeated throughout the Bible, starting with Cain and Able.

God isn't selecting believers, he is creating believers.

No such Scripture.

Last edited:

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not refuting God. My argument is with your interpretation of passages taken out of context. Let's bring in more of the context here.

1 Corinthians 1:22-25
For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Do you recall Paul's viewpoint that he shared here? As I mentioned earlier, the Bible provides many reasons why individuals reject the Gospel. Paul notes that the message of Christ's crucifixion is a stumbling block for the Jews and foolishness for the Gentiles.

What Paul is plainly teaching in "1 Corinthians 1:21-25" is that the Gospel is the power of God onto salvation to all who believe (1 Corinthians 1:21), to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile, just as Paul also wrote in "Romans 1:16-17."

Romans 1:16 (WEB) 16 For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, because it is the power of God for salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first, and also for the Greek.

Hence, if not for the assistance of the Spirit of God, no one would believe it.

I do not deny that the Spirit works with the Word; however, many people will resist the Spirit and will refuse the Gospel Word being preached, persecuting those who preach it, and so these remain lost.

Acts 7:51-57
51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit! As your fathers did, so you do. 52 Which of the prophets didn’t your fathers persecute?

Paul distinguishes a specific group of people, consisting of both Jews and Gentiles, whom he calls "The called." Through the power of God, the message that is usually a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles becomes wisdom to those who are included in this group.

God calls Jews and Gentile sinners to Lord Jesus by the preaching of the Gospel (Romans 10:17-21). The ones who believe the Message are "the called" according to His purpose.

Romans 10:17-18 (WEB)
17 So faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. 18 But I say, didn’t they hear? Yes, most certainly,
Their sound went out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.” [Psalm 19:4]

God calls the world to believe by the preaching of the Gospel, which is the reason why Lord Jesus commanded the "Great Commission."

Mark 2:17 (WEB) When Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are healthy have no need for a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

Luke 24:44-47 (EWEB) 46 He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name to all the nations, beginning at Jerusalem.”

Those who are "The Called" and "Elect" are to endure in their faith to the end to be eternally saved - no guarantee is given that they will endure.

2 Peter 2:10-11 (WEB) 10 Therefore, {{{brothers and sisters}}}, be more diligent to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never stumble. 11 For thus you will be richly supplied with the entrance into the Eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

All one needs to do is understand passages of scripture where the verses appear.

Exactly. No need to add your own philosophy into the text. No pink elephants please!

What is the basis for a confident expectation if not a proven faith?

Romans 5:3-5
And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Paul did not say that the Spirit of God was poured out within our hearts in "Romans 5:5,", as you previously kept insisting.

"the Love of God has been poured out within "our" hearts through the Holy Spirit."

The love of God is poured out within the hearts of the "our" - those who already believe.

Remember that the sinner is "justified by faith," and the sinner "gains access" into this grace - by faith (Romans 5:1-2).

Those who are "The Called" and "Elect" are to endure in their faith to the end to be eternally saved.

Lord Jesus taught the same thing:

Luke 21:34-36 (WEB) Teaching His followers
36 Therefore, be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

You are missing an important element in Paul's statement. Biblical hope is a conviction based on reason, a confident expectation that God will keep his promise. In Romans 5, Paul establishes the rational basis for our confidence.

No one disagrees, but that is only for those who remain in the faith - not every Spirit-indwelt Christian will remain in The Faith.

We (true Believers) are encouraged to persevere so that we might have hope.

Romans 15:4 For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that through perseverance and through encouragement of the Scriptures we [Paul includes himself] might have hope.

Paul offers no guarantee, but rather, admonishes true believers to continue in hope firm to the end that is held out to us in the Gospel.

Colossians 1:23 {{{if you}}} continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel.

Hebrews 3:6 We are his house, if we [Paul includes himself] hold fast our confidence and the glorying of our hope firm to the end.

Hebrews 10:23 Let us [Paul includes himself] hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering; for he who promised is faithful.

Peter instructs us to soberly set our hope fully on that grace in Christ Jesus, which is an admonition, not a guarantee that we will.

1 Peter 1:13 Be sober, and set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ

He is hypocritical if he claims to wait patiently for repentance while at the same time making it impossible for them to repent.

Exactly my point. Patience gives way to judgment at some point in response to sinners who refuse to repent, obeying the Truth.

Romans 1:22-28 (WEB)
22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.
24 Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. 25 For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26 For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper

Romans 2:2-10 (WEB) 4 Or do you despise the riches of his goodness, forbearance, and patience, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Romans 5:5
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

New Living Translation
And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

English Standard Version
and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

Berean Standard Bible
And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.

Berean Literal Bible
And hope does not make us ashamed, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, the One having been given to us.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, to understand we use exegesis. Changing the meaning, or adding your own assumptions, is not exegesis.
I haven't changed the meaning.
As for John 6, I already gave an exact explanation of the Greek used for the word "For" in "John 6:40," and I also showed to you the context, beginning at "John 6:37" in post: TULIP an open discussion
You translated the Greek word but gave no explanation as to why you think it defeats my view or why it even matters to our discussion. As I say, before we can properly understand verse 40 we need to consider verses 36 and 37.

John 6:36-37
But I said to you that you have seen Me, and yet do not believe.
37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.

Verse 37 contrasts with verse 36 and explains why some people believe in Jesus while others don't. According to verse 37, those who trust in Jesus are the ones given to him by the Father. In contrast, those who have seen Jesus but still don't believe in him are not part of the Father's chosen group.

This idea informs our interpretation of verse 40.

John 6:40 For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.”

Taking the verse alone, it would be easy to misunderstand Jesus to say, "Someone must behold the son and believe in order to receive eternal life." But taking the verse in context, we understand that Jesus is talking about something else. First of all, none of us have beheld the son, so Jesus is focused on his contemporaries. Secondly, since it is the Father choice who will believe and who won't believe, then Jesus is indicating those who will never fall away. Those who are in the Father's chosen group will have eternal life.

You will see only what you want to see, even if a Passage states the exact opposite of what you are seeing.
I am willing to hear what you have to say, but so far you haven't said anything except quote verses.
That is what Lord Jesus explained in "John 6:39-40," and the word "For" in "verse 40" shows that the explanation follows. This is simple communication, and that is what "for" means.
My view doesn't change the meaning of the word "for." If you think it does, it would be helpful if you would explain why.
Show me one Scriptures that states that:

"They believe BECAUSE they were given to the son."
That is what John 6:34-40 is saying. As I pointed out above, verse 37 explains verse 36. Some have seen Jesus and did not believe him. Why? "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me."
We all agree that all the Father gave to Jesus will not be lost. The Father gives to the Son those who believe (present and continuously believing) in the Son. That is God's will and desire.
Verse 37 stands in contradistinction to verse 36. Jesus is speaking to those who beheld him but did not believe him. Why? "All that the Father gives me will come to me."
No guarantee is made in Scripture that the believer will remain in The Faith guaranteed.
The guarantee applies to those whom God has chosen.
You got it all backwards.
I don't have it backward. You simply don't see it yet. :) One only needs to grasp how difficult it is to believe in Jesus to understand why divine aid is necessary. Perhaps you might recall the Apostle Paul's words, "But we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness." There are many barriers to belief. But with divine aid, one will believe and endure. "But to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God." So then, for those who are NOT called, the gospel is a stumbling block or foolishness. But for those who ARE called, the gospel is the power and wisdom of God.

What is the factor that determines the outcome? Being Called.

Lord Jesus already interpreted "The Sower," three times (Matthew 13:18-23, Mark 4:13-20, Luke 8:11-15) giving it the meaning he intended. In his explanation, Lord Jesus himself does not state that his parable of "The Sower" has anything to do with cultivating. That is your addition that you are assuming.
I told you, the Lord mentions good soil, which by definition is cultivated soil. His meaning depends on a common understanding of farming practices.
Notice that you will reject very plain to understand Scriptures just to hold onto your philosophy.
On the contrary, our disagreement centers on your interpretation of the scriptures.
That is not what the Scriptures teach - just the opposite is repeated throughout the Bible, starting with Cain and Able.
I already showed you that the scriptures promise eternal life to those whom God has chosen. You seem to like Peter, so let's look at Peter again.

1 Peter 1:3-4
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

born again to a living hope
Do you know what Peter means by a "living" hope?

1. New Birth: Peter states that our living hope comes from being "born again" through Jesus' resurrection. Just as an infant does nothing to be born, our rebirth is a gift from God, not based on our actions.

2. Eager Expectation: Unlike wishful thinking, this hope is confident and energizing. It's anchored in Jesus' resurrection—past, present, and future. We live with great expectation because of Him.

3. Secure Future: Our living hope encompasses everything God has promised but hasn't yet fulfilled. It's imperishable, undefiled, and guarded by God's power for our salvation.

to obtain an inheritance
Peter has correlated our being born again with obtaining our inheritance. All of those who have been born again to a living hope shall be given their inheritance.

No such Scripture.
We already talked about this. Paul depicts a potter making pots according to his purpose for the pot.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Paul is plainly teaching in "1 Corinthians 1:21-25" is that the Gospel is the power of God onto salvation to all who believe (1 Corinthians 1:21), to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile, just as Paul also wrote in "Romans 1:16-17."
You missed the point. Paul first points out that the gospel is a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to the Gentiles. He doesn't qualify his statement. He doesn't say "some Jews" and "some Gentiles." Once he sets up his point, he says, "But to those who are called, the gospel is the power and wisdom of God."

Do you not see that being "called" is the factor that makes the difference between rejecting the gospel and believing the gospel?
I do not deny that the Spirit works with the Word; however, many people will resist the Spirit and will refuse the Gospel Word being preached, persecuting those who preach it, and so these remain lost.
When discussing belief and unbelief, as well as endurance and falling away, it is important to consider the factors or situations that make the difference. I have been explicating texts from three different Apostles and even Jesus himself who identify the Father and his work through the Holy Spirit as the reason for the positive response to the Gospel and the guarantee of salvation to those whom he chose.
God calls Jews and Gentile sinners to Lord Jesus by the preaching of the Gospel (Romans 10:17-21). The ones who believe the Message are "the called" according to His purpose.
Yes, they believe because they are called.
Paul did not say that the Spirit of God was poured out within our hearts in "Romans 5:5,", as you previously kept insisting.

"the Love of God has been poured out within "our" hearts through the Holy Spirit."
The phrase "love of God" can have two distinct meanings: "Our love for God" or "God's love for us." In this case, Paul is specifically referring to God's love for us when explaining why our hope will not disappoint. We can have unwavering hope because it doesn't depend on us; it's guaranteed to be granted to those with proven faith.

The term "love" mentioned in the Bible has two distinct meanings. Firstly, it refers to a subjective feeling, and secondly, it represents an objective beneficent act. In this context, the beneficent act of God means that He pours out the Holy Spirit into our hearts. Paul is conveying the same message as Peter, but using different phrasing. Those who possess a proven faith are reborn with a living hope.

Remember that the sinner is "justified by faith," and the sinner "gains access" into this grace - by faith (Romans 5:1-2).
Yes, justification by faith gives us access. But only those with a proven faith will have a hope that will not disappoint.
Those who are "The Called" and "Elect" are to endure in their faith to the end to be eternally saved.
And they will, guaranteed by the power of God.
No one disagrees, but that is only for those who remain in the faith - not every Spirit-indwelt Christian will remain in The Faith.
You have provided NO scriptures that make your point.
We (true Believers) are encouraged to persevere so that we might have hope.
And true believers will persevere.
Paul offers no guarantee, but rather, admonishes true believers to continue in hope firm to the end that is held out to us in the Gospel.
Three Apostles and Jesus himself talk about the guarantee.

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't changed the meaning.

You translated the Greek word but gave no explanation as to why you think it defeats my view or why it even matters to our discussion. As I say, before we can properly understand verse 40 we need to consider verses 36 and 37.

John 6:36-37
But I said to you that you have seen Me, and yet do not believe.
37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.

Keep reading the context and pay attention to the conjunction: "For."

John 6:40 For [Lord Jesus now identifies who the Father gives to the Son] this is the will of the one who sent me, that everyone who sees the Son, and believes in him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Question: God gives to the son who?
Answer:
Those who believe.

The will of God is that "everyone" who sees the Son, and believes in him, should have eternal life.

Verse 37 contrasts with verse 36 and explains why some people believe in Jesus while others don't. According to verse 37, those who trust in Jesus are the ones given to him by the Father. In contrast, those who have seen Jesus but still don't believe in him are not part of the Father's chosen group.

"Verse 37" says nothing about believing.

John 6:37 states: All those the Father gives me will come to me. He who comes to me I will in never cast out.

Question: Who does the Father give to the Son? What does Lord Jesus say?

For
the will of God is that "everyone" who sees the Son, and believes in him, should have eternal life (vs. 40)

The believers
are, therefore, the "everyone" whom God grants to come to the Son.

What is the factor that determines the outcome? Being Called.

Exactly. Everyone is called to Christ Jesus by the Gospel so that whoever believes in him has eternal life. That is the Will and Good Pleasure of God.

1 Corinthians 1:21 (EWEB) 21 For seeing that in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom didn’t know God, it was God’s {{{good pleasure}}} through the foolishness of the preaching to save those who believe.

John 6:40 For [Lord Jesus now identifies who the Father gives to the Son] this is {{{the will}}} of the one who sent me, that everyone who sees the Son, and believes in him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

God always leaves the choice to believe or to refuse His grace completely on each individual, and many do refuse God's gracious invitation - even many within God's elect people Israel. Lord Jesus came to save the Jews first, but most of them refused.

Matthew 22:3 (NIV) He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 (NIV) They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

Acts 7:51 (WEB) 51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit!

A sinner passes out of death onto life (regeneration) by faith, not so he can believe.

John 5:24 (WEB) 24 “Most certainly I tell you, he who hears [listens] my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and doesn’t come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

I told you, the Lord mentions good soil, which by definition is cultivated soil. His meaning depends on a common understanding of farming practices.

Lord Jesus mentions other places the seeds fell too.

In his Parable of the Sower, Lord Jesus is not talking about farming practices; rather, he is talking about a farmer who is sowing the seeds, and the results of the seeds depending on where they land. That is all he is addressing in his Parable, just as Lord Jesus explains three times in "Matthew 13:18-23," "Mark 4:13-20," and "Luke 8:11-15."

In Lord Jesus own interpretation of "The Sower" he does not describe farming practices such as:
  • buying seeds,
  • cultivating the soil,
  • fertilizing,
  • pulling the weeds,
  • watering, or
  • harvesting.
That was not the purpose for his Parable of the Sower. Just accept what Lord Jesus explains as the meaning of the Parable without adding your own assumptions. All Lord Jesus meant for the Parable regards the sowing of the seeds and the result. That is it.

On the contrary, our disagreement centers on your interpretation of the scriptures.

Earlier you said I was not interpreting, but just quoting Scripture. Now you say your disagreement centers on my interpretation.

Yes, I quoted the Scriptures for you, and I introduced those Scriptures, giving attention to Greek Grammar and Context as appropriate. I did not have to interpret anything because the Scriptures I quoted are plain to understand.

The Gospel revelation is already revealed and fully explained in writing by the command of God so as to give complete understanding - no need to add your assumptions, as if you can improve on God.

Romans 16:25-27 (NIV) 25 Now to him who is able to establish you in accordance with my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ, in keeping with the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, 26 but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience that comes from faith — 27 to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.

Ephesians 3:8-9 (NIV) 8 Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ, 9 and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things.

No need to reinterpret what God already fully revealed to give us understanding.

1 Corinthians 4:6 (NIV) 6 Now, brothers and sisters, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, “Do not go beyond what is written.”

I already showed you that the scriptures promise eternal life to those whom God has chosen. You seem to like Peter, so let's look at Peter again.

1 Peter 1:3-4
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Question: Peter wrote those words of encouragement to who?

Answer: Peter wrote and addressed those words of encouragement to those who believe - the chosen by the grace of God (Romans 11:4-5) that is accessed by our faith (Romans 5:1-2; Romans 4:16).

Peter offered no guarantee that the called and elect would remain faithful; so that is all in your imagination.

1 Peter 1:10-11 (WEB) 10 Therefore, {{{brothers and sisters}}}, be more diligent to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never stumble. 11 For thus you will be richly supplied with the entrance into the Eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 3:17 (WEB) 17 You therefore, beloved, knowing these things beforehand, beware, lest being carried away with the error of the wicked, you fall from your own steadfastness.

Born Again

A sinner passes from death onto life (Born Again) by faith.

John 5:24 (WEB) 24 “Most certainly I tell you, he who hears [listens] my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and doesn’t come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

The sinner receives the Spirit to give him life inside (Born Again) by faith.

John 7:37-38 (WEB)
38 He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive.

Last edited: