Understanding : Acts 2:38

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Reader,

There are some who teach that the "Gospel" is : Acts 2:38.

Now, if you are familiar with Christianity, then you know that everyone is invited to become a Christian......Jews, Gentiles,.........
>"The World"... = John 3:16.

So, one of the things we find out about the NT, is... = if an Apostle does not know something then they can't teach it until they know it.

And Peter, who was the Act 2:38 preacher, did not understand the Gospel of the Grace of God, until Acts 15. = Not until He was taught it by Paul.

Now, How is all that relevant to Paul? and Acts 2:38

Its like this reader, ... Many people and denominations consider Acts 2:38 as the Gospel... and these people are very strong proponents for "Water baptism"..
In Fact they are so into the water aspect that they read that "Noah was saved by water" and can't understand that Had NOAH and Family gotten out of that ARK, then Noah and Family, would have DIED in that FLOOD WATER JUDGEMENT.

See, it was the ARK that kept them OUT of the WATER, is why they LIVED.., as that wooden ARK is not just their Salvation from that water, but its symbolic of the Cross of Christ that was WOOD, (A TREE) , and Christ on it, is our ARK .
How?
Christ on that WOOD, takes the Judgement for our sin, just as Noah's Ark saved Noah and Family from the WATER that was God's Judgment.

Now let me show you a few things..

First, Peter was not water baptized in Acts 2:38. and you can read it for yourself.
So, we could stop right there, as that proves that WATER is not going to save anything, when the very person who is telling those JEWS to get in the water, was not himself water baptized that day.
But lets continue, as some of you, are waking up, and some of you are learning something you need to know.

= NONE in the "upper room" were water baptized in Acts 2:38, and you can read it for yourself.
And Peter and those same were speaking with tongues, yet none were water baptized., in Acts 2:38

Water Baptism, began before Jesus showed up, Reader.
Its a big part of the Jewish OT Situation, and you've read that John The Baptist.. (John the Water Baptizer) was baptizing Jews long before Jesus showed up, and this saved NONE of them.. It washed NONE of their sin away.
So, when The JEW = PETER........ was preaching in Acts 2:38, He preached all he knew, and that was for that day, but it is not for now, regarding water being necessary as a part of the process of God's Redemption.
it wasn't a part of it on that day... or Peter would have gotten water baptized and those in the upper room also..

See that?

So why did Peter Preach it? = Its because its ALL HE KNEW at that time., as at that time if you were a Jew, you repented and John the water Baptizer dunked you... it was a part of the law, and Jesus did it because as He said.>>"Let us fulfill all things".. all things related to the law, as Jesus was born under the Law.

ENTER... Paul the Apostle, who was sent to preach .. ""The preaching of the Cross is the power of God unto salvation, for everyone who Believes"".

And notice this verse.. ."Its pleased GOD by the foolishness of PREACHING.. to SAVE THOSE... who BELIEVE"... (not get in the water).

And "Save those who believe what"?

A.) Paul's gospel...>"The Gospel of the GRACE OF GOD" that is the "preaching of the Cross of Christ".

Now how do you know that Peter didnt know anything about the "Gospel of the Grace of God in Acts 2"?

Its because Peter didnt know that Gentiles could be saved, until 10 yrs after Jesus is back in Heaven.
So, if you dont KNOW that Jews and Gentiles can both be saved, then you dont understand God's Salvation, according to how PAUL was sent to teach it, by Revelation from JESUS Himself.

Read Acts of the Apostles... Chapter 10, written a decade after Jesus is back in Heaven., and discover that Peter didnt know that Gentiles could be saved... YET.. SO....= God had to give Peter a vision, to cause Him to UNDERSTAND this about Gentiles.
So, You can't preach the true Gospel, that includes GENTILES being saved.... if you dont yet know it.
And that is why Acts 2:38, is NOT The Gospel.

And here is one more.
Paul said...>"Christ sent me NOT to water baptize"........and that does not mean that we are not to be water baptized.
I was water baptized 11 yrs after i was born again. I was water baptized, about 5 yrs after i was called into the Ministry by the Holy Spirit.

See reader to understand the TRUE Gospel..... in "the time of the Gentiles".. and we are in it....
It means that the correct understanding of the process of Redemption, is not about water....its about the BLOOD OF JESUS and the CROSS of Christ and Faith that is counted by God as "righteousness", and water has no part in that, at all.

It was in Acts 15, that Peter learned what Paul knew, that Paul learned from Jesus, and from that point, all the Apostles understood "Paul's Gospel of the Grace of God" that is not related to water baptism.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reader,

There are some who teach that the "Gospel" is : Acts 2:38.

Now, if you are familiar with Christianity, then you know that everyone is invited to become a Christian......Jews, Gentiles,.........
>"The World"... = John 3:16.

So, one of the things we find out about the NT, is... = if an Apostle does not know something then they can't teach it until they know it.

And Peter, who was the Act 2:38 preacher, did not understand the Gospel of the Grace of God, until Acts 15. = Not until He was taught it by Paul.

Now, How is all that relevant to Paul? and Acts 2:38

Its like this reader, ... Many people and denominations consider Acts 2:38 as the Gospel... and these people are very strong proponents for "Water baptism"..
In Fact they are so into the water aspect that they read that "Noah was saved by water" and can't understand that Had NOAH and Family gotten out of that ARK, then Noah and Family, would have DIED in that FLOOD WATER JUDGEMENT.

See, it was the ARK that kept them OUT of the WATER, is why they LIVED.., as that wooden ARK is not just their Salvation from that water, but its symbolic of the Cross of Christ that was WOOD, (A TREE) , and Christ on it, is our ARK .
How?
Christ on that WOOD, takes the Judgement for our sin, just as Noah's Ark saved Noah and Family from the WATER that was God's Judgment.

Now let me show you a few things..

First, Peter was not water baptized in Acts 2:38. and you can read it for yourself.
So, we could stop right there, as that proves that WATER is not going to save anything, when the very person who is telling those JEWS to get in the water, was not himself water baptized that day.
But lets continue, as some of you, are waking up, and some of you are learning something you need to know.

= NONE in the "upper room" were water baptized in Acts 2:38, and you can read it for yourself.
And Peter and those same were speaking with tongues, yet none were water baptized., in Acts 2:38

Water Baptism, began before Jesus showed up, Reader.
Its a big part of the Jewish OT Situation, and you've read that John The Baptist.. (John the Water Baptizer) was baptizing Jews long before Jesus showed up, and this saved NONE of them.. It washed NONE of their sin away.
So, when The JEW = PETER........ was preaching in Acts 2:38, He preached all he knew, and that was for that day, but it is not for now, regarding water being necessary as a part of the process of God's Redemption.
it wasn't a part of it on that day... or Peter would have gotten water baptized and those in the upper room also..

See that?

So why did Peter Preach it? = Its because its ALL HE KNEW at that time., as at that time if you were a Jew, you repented and John the water Baptizer dunked you... it was a part of the law, and Jesus did it because as He said.>>"Let us fulfill all things".. all things related to the law, as Jesus was born under the Law.

ENTER... Paul the Apostle, who was sent to preach .. ""The preaching of the Cross is the power of God unto salvation, for everyone who Believes"".

And notice this verse.. ."Its pleased GOD by the foolishness of PREACHING.. to SAVE THOSE... who BELIEVE"... (not get in the water).

And "Save those who believe what"?

A.) Paul's gospel...>"The Gospel of the GRACE OF GOD" that is the "preaching of the Cross of Christ".

Now how do you know that Peter didnt know anything about the "Gospel of the Grace of God in Acts 2"?

Its because Peter didnt know that Gentiles could be saved, until 10 yrs after Jesus is back in Heaven.
So, if you dont KNOW that Jews and Gentiles can both be saved, then you dont understand God's Salvation, according to how PAUL was sent to teach it, by Revelation from JESUS Himself.

Read Acts of the Apostles... Chapter 10, written a decade after Jesus is back in Heaven., and discover that Peter didnt know that Gentiles could be saved... YET.. SO....= God had to give Peter a vision, to cause Him to UNDERSTAND this about Gentiles.
So, You can't preach the true Gospel, that includes GENTILES being saved.... if you dont yet know it.
And that is why Acts 2:38, is NOT The Gospel.

And here is one more.
Paul said...>"Christ sent me NOT to water baptize"........and that does not mean that we are not to be water baptized.
I was water baptized 11 yrs after i was born again. I was water baptized, about 5 yrs after i was called into the Ministry by the Holy Spirit.

See reader to understand the TRUE Gospel..... in "the time of the Gentiles".. and we are in it....
It means that the correct understanding of the process of Redemption, is not about water....its about the BLOOD OF JESUS and the CROSS of Christ and Faith that is counted by God as "righteousness", and water has no part in that, at all.

It was in Acts 15, that Peter learned what Paul knew, that Paul learned from Jesus, and from that point, all the Apostles understood "Paul's Gospel of the Grace of God" that is not related to water baptism.
The point to Acts 2:38 and the gospel is the fact that the gospel of Christ is the power of God.

Reactions: amadeus

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The point to Acts 2:38 and the gospel is the fact that the gospel of Christ is the power of God.

Peter, nor those in the upper room were baptized in water during Pentecost...., yet HE spoke about water Baptism.

So, that is not a "confused Holy Spirit"....that is a Jew Apostle who is ultimately familiar with John The Baptist and the LAW, preaching the extent of his understanding, at THAT Time.

My Thread is concerning the fact that Peter didn't yet completely understand God's "Gospel of Salvation./.(GRACE)""", in Acts 2, but would later come to understand it... starting in Acts 10, and then fully understand it, in Acts 15, after He met Paul.

So, we see that when an Apostle does not know something, then that explains why they can't teach it or preach it.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
This teaching that Acts 2:38 "is the Gospel" is very much believed by Catholics, and many on this Forum, and many on every forum.

Many Denominations teach "Acts 2:38" as "The Gospel".

Its not.

Many who believe in "baptismal regeneration" use ACTS 2:38 as their "go to" verse.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Phillip and the EUNUCH.

Phillip said..>"yes you may be water baptized......IF = you have believed with all your heart.. .FIRST">

See what comes FIRST? Before the DUNKING?

And this is why you have this verse..

"""He that believeth and is water baptized, shall be saved, but He that BELIEVETH NOT.. = shall go to HELL... (Shall be Damned)"""""

Notice that the "Damnation" is only related to the BELIEVING or not...and the water is left out...

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Peter told those Jews......In Acts 2:38

"Jesus rose from the Dead"

"you have slain your Messiah"..

Then the Jews said..

"what shall we do"..

Peter said..

"repent and be baptized".

And THAT is not the Gospel.

Here is the Gospel..

"The Gospel of the Grace of God"... "The Preaching of the CROSS, is the Power of GOD...unto SALVATiON, to/for, EVERYONE who Believes".

See that "Gospel"?

Its "Faith is counted as righteousness".

That is """ Paul's Gospel""", and Peter didn't know it, in Acts 2.
He learned it in Acts 15.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And with the gift of the Holy Ghost, what is impossible? And to whom is the promise? What promise is that? Perhaps "for the remission of sins" as well as to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost?

Ac 2:38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Ac 2:39For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
And with the gift of the Holy Ghost, what is impossible? And to whom is the promise? What promise is that? Perhaps "for the remission of sins" as well as to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost?

Peter received the Holy Spirit before Acts 2:38.

Read John 20:22, and notice that Peter received the HS, and also was not water baptized at that time, exactly as He was not water baptized in Acts 2:38

@amadeus wrote.... """""Act 2:38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you""""

Acts 2:38 that is not Paul's Gospel, as Paul does not require water as a part of the Gospel that was Given to Him by JESUS.
This is why Paul told us that.."Jesus sent me NOT to water baptize".. which means... "im not sent for that, as my Gospel, is not related to John The Baptist's Jewish water baptism."

Peter didnt know any of this in Acts 2, but Paul was able to teach Him, in Acts 15

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter received the Holy Spirit before Acts 2:38.

Read John 20:22, and notice that Peter received the HS, and also was not water baptized at that time, exactly as He was not water baptized in Acts 2:38

@amadeus wrote.... """""Act 2:38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you""""

Acts 2:38 that is not Paul's Gospel, as Paul does not require water as a part of the Gospel that was Given to Him by JESUS.
This is why Paul told us that.."Jesus sent me NOT to water baptize".. which means... "im not sent for that, as my Gospel, is not related to John The Baptist's Jewish water baptism."

Peter didnt know any of this in Acts 2, but Paul was able to teach Him, in Acts 15

I only asked questions. Does God ever use the mouth of anyone to speak His message without explaining everything to the messenger? What is the Word of God?

Reactions: Nancy and JunChosen

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Does God ever use the mouth of anyone to speak His message without explaining everything to the messenger? What is the Word of God?

Of course.

Notice..

Numbers 22

'"""The donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?”""""

God never explained to this Donkey anything, as God only needed His Mouth to get the message out.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course.

Notice..

Numbers 22

'"""The donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?”""""

God never explained to this Donkey anything, as God only needed His Mouth to get the message out.
Do you suppose that the Apostle Paul ever wrote anything in his epistles that he did not fully understand?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is about the power of the Spirit at Pentecost.

We now are in this day and age, where the power of the Living Spirit is very much Alive and Active .

Born of water is the flesh birth, water cannot bring our spirit Alive, impossible.

Only the Living Spirit Of God in this day and age can birth our spirit into his, as in...” Spirit gives birth to spirit “ that is Gods Living word....that we receive when the Spirit beareth witness with our spirit that we are Gods children...the Holy Spirit is the only person who can bring our spirit from death to live...spiritual life...understanding the written word in spirit, as it’s written in the Spirit...my opinion/ testimony and belief.

• Love
Reactions: JunChosen

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I only asked questions. Does God ever use the mouth of anyone to speak His message without explaining everything to the messenger? What is the Word of God?
I believe he does, his Living word just flows out of the mouth of a Born Again....the Spirit takes us over and speaks the will of God from our mouths.....how would I know what the will of God is, only the Spirit knows the will of the Father and of what words to speak, God speaks to us in Spirit always, we are spiritual children,we aren’t worldly children, we belong to the Living Spirit Of God...

Jesus had to die so that we can become children of God...by His will.

My opinion/ testimony and belief.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you suppose that the Apostle Paul ever wrote anything in his epistles that he did not fully understand?
I believe he did, as it was the Spirit Of God guiding Paul on what to write via His Spirit....God used Paul as his vessel to get his Living word written down...which can only be understood in the Spirit as it’s a Spiritual book full of spiritual knowledge from the mouth of the Living God.

The written word is the back up we need , when we have been Born Again of imperishable seed, which is Gods Living word.

We are Born Again of imperishable/ incorruptible seed, which is Alive and Active in our spirit, that is the Living word of God.

We are not Born Again of the written word, the written word backs up Gods Living word, which is His Spirit and truth.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Paul is a "unique case".

His Ministry, is unlike the situation where you had Jesus the JEW, come only to the JEWS, (House of Israel).
And those original 12 Apostles were the same MINISTRY.

In Paul's situation, regarding His Call to be an Apostle..... The Cross was raised and now Salvation is given to : John 3:16... the World, everyone......All who will come.... ALL who will BELIEVE IN JESUS by Faith.

Also, Jesus chose Paul to be "the apostle to the GENTILES" in a season, that precedes God's resuming His dealing with the JEW.
That is the TRIB.. when God will again be dealing with the JEW,.. and that TRIB starts after the "time of the GENTILES" has ended.

So, in this "Time of the Gentiles" that is really "the Church" being Birthed.......>You only have PAUL as the One Apostle that Jesus chose to deliver the "GOSPEL"< that Paul's refers to as "MY Gospel" 3x.
Paul is your "body of Christ" teacher. Its Paul's Doctrine that is Church Doctrine.

Paul is the only Apostle who told us to.. "Follow ME, (in behavior, in Faith, in Doctrine), as I follow Christ".

And until a CHRISTIan, understands all this, regarding Paul, they'll be following something else..

Like : CALVINISM

Like "The cult of the Virgin" = Catholic

Like "Mormonism

Like "JW".

And many other Cults that pretend to be "the truth".

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Short commentary.

Why do we hold to Paul’s writings as inspired, inerrant, and infallible? I think he was clearly wise, had the Spirit, and was an incredible teacher. But how do we trust that everything he says is the Word of God? Is it simply because that’s how it’s been and because it has always worked for us?

Also a lot of what John Calvin teaches that I have recently read....lines up with the written word of God.

I don’t believe God makes people evil, I do believe that only God can choose who he makes Born Again by His Spirit....that is biblical.

Which doesn’t make those who followed his teachings a cult.

Personally I had never heard of him and have never followed his teachings.

I go by the Living word of God that lines up with His written word, Spirit led, not man made religion led, imo, testimony and belief.

Some teachers want to take Glory and recognition....imo.

Only God gets Glory and recognition from me. “ NOW” in the past I have worshipped those who were teachers..God showed me that was wrong...all Glory goes to Him he is the teacher through some men/ woman...

Last edited:
  • Love

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
. But how do we trust that everything he says is the Word of God?

"those who are spiritual discern all things"..

"the word of God, is spiritually discerned".

"those who have not the Spirit of Christ in them, are none of Gods"..

"the Spirit beareth witness that these things are TRUE".

The Holy Spirit ("God is A Spirit").... who created all things, and who is TRUTH, has given us the "word of Truth:"

And when a person has the Spirit of God in them, then the HS reveals what is true, and that revelation is to know the truth.

So, Paul said...that the Revelation that He teaches, that are his Letters, that Peter said are "SCRIPTURE">......>Paul said that Jesus gave all of this REVELATiON, to Him, personally.
And that Revelation, are the Pauline Epistles. And from this revelation, the Believer is taught by the Spirit of Christ, "Paul's Doctrine".

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"those who are spiritual discern all things"..

"the word of God, is spiritually discerned".

"those who have not the Spirit of Christ in them, are none of Gods"..

"the Spirit beareth witness that these things are TRUE".

The Holy Spirit ("God is A Spirit").... who created all things, and who is TRUTH, has given us the "word of Truth:"

And when a person has the Spirit of God in them, then the HS reveals what is true, and that revelation is to know the truth.

So, Paul said...that the Revelation that He teaches, that are his Letters, that Peter said are "SCRIPTURE">......>Paul said that Jesus gave all of this REVELATiON, to Him, personally.
And that Revelation, are the Pauline Epistles. And from this revelation, the Believer is taught by the Spirit of Christ, "Paul's Doctrine".
The problem with that is not everyone agrees.

We also can’t have spiritual discernment unless God gifts us it,I’m sure all true Born Agains must have spiritual discernment from the Lord...because they have been Born Again by the Living word of God.

We can’t be spiritual without the Living Holy Spirit testifying that we=are Gods children...Spirit gives birth to spirit needs to happen..the supernatural rebirth.

Last edited:

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No need to limit this to apostles. EVERYONE who does not yet know something cannot yet teach it. Duh!

Well, Peter did not understand the need to reach out to Gentiles until the Cornelius incident (not learned from Paul). That doesn't render every word he preached prior to that incident worthless! It doesn't render his Pentecost speech in Acts 2 false in any respect, nor indicate that he didn't understand a single element of "the Gospel of the Grace of God" at that time.

If you want to attack water baptism, have at it -- but this argument limps badly. Although not as badly as

How?
If this is an argument against water baptism, it just doesn't float!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The problem with that is not everyone agrees.

Jesus faced that also.

Truth is always going to face constant opposition, when people's opinions are their God.

Truth is always going to be reviled by Heretics like John Calvin whose Theology is one of the Devil's finest works.