Was Jesus Orthodox? (or Baptist?)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Jesus orthodox?
Or did he operate outside the realm of the orthodoxy of his day?
Was he a heretic by their standards?

Perhaps being heterodox is WAY underrated. Do we worship the status quo?

• Acts 24:5
    For we have found this man to be a troublemaker,
    one who stirs up riots among all the Jews throughout the world,
    and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes.

• Acts 24:14
    But I confess this to you, that I worship the God of our ancestors
    according to the Way (which they call a sect), believing everything
    that is according to the law and that is written in the prophets.

• Acts 28:22
    But we would like to hear from you what you think,
    for regarding this sect we know that people everywhere speak against it.”

]

Last edited:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Jesus orthodox?

• Acts 24:5
    For we have found this man to be a troublemaker,
    one who stirs up riots among all the Jews throughout the world,
    and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes.

• Acts 24:14
    But I confess this to you, that I worship the God of our ancestors
    according to the Way (which they call a sect), believing everything
    that is according to the law and that is written in the prophets.

• Acts 28:22
    But we would like to hear from you what you think,
    for regarding this sect we know that people everywhere speak against it.”

]

You are asking about Jesus, but referencing Paul?

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't it seem? Or? Mebbe tis my own Unorthodoxic mind that these days are quite similar to the "Tower of Babel" incident. Eh?
So many people are speaking the same language (english), yet? All the words MEAN different things to different people!

I suspect that this is what happens when people feel/believe/WANT "LOVE" to cover more sin then that for which it was intended to cover?

Far as Jesus of Nazareth being unorthodox? Well? In the eyes of His Father and God? He wasn't!
In the eyes of what Judaism and tribal elders had digressed to? A very definite YES!!!

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was before you had a working definition of orthodox.

So, was Jesus orthodox?
Was giving this direction an orthodox position? and the other...

23 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not

Matthew 8:4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

Were these directing of things orthodox to you?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Follow-up to the "Is Universalism Orthodox."[?] topic.

What is this thing with accusations of unorthodox, heretic, heterodox, pagan, etc.
Seems like blatant tribalism to me. Us versus them. When will we ever learn?

So, was Jesus orthodox?

What is obvious to many but baffling to some is how Jesus FULFILLED THE LAW.
It was not about living an unorthodox lifestyle. Jesus kept to many societal conventions. He broke a few...but it was not many. (Handwashing and water walking)

The Old Testament Law was given so that man would know how to live a life pleasing to God. It was added to stop the sinning people did in supposed loopholes in the Law.

But Jesus demonstrated how to live a sacrificial life and lifestyle that is pleasing to God and fulfilling all of the Law. Jesus was sinless and became the perfect sacrifice for our sins.

Basically we killed him for being perfect.

We didn't kill him because he was popular
We didn't kill him because he said things we enjoyed hearing.
We didn't kill him for being subversive to the government.
We didn't kill him because of his healing miracles.
We didn't kill him because he told people to not follow the Law of Moses.

We killed him because he lived a sacrificial life and lifestyle...fulfilling the Law of Moses and perfectly pleasing to God.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
An Orthodox Jew ! do you all know what that means ? It does not resemble Othodox at all !

An Orthodox Christian ? is totaly different thing. it means true !

If one is not Orthodox you are a simplton wayward or a fool ! Heretical.

Orthodox means the true or good standards are set !

Buying a new car, should have set standards to abide by, so as not to play any cunning games when dealing, so you look at the papper work before signing anything ? yes i can see all is worthy of such and if not i ask, why have you put such that in such a way, it does not look right !

I have bought many new cars and i have had to say, hey what the hell is this rubbish, in the contract, some of it it's jibberish ? that's not orthodox ! why ! or i am out of here period !

Standards are set in contracts that are orthodox.

I was working for the owner of a Ford dealer at his place and he said come see my man and he will fix you up with a new Ford, well we got on real well but not with his man at all ! it came down to a LSD that say is mandatory with V8 and the dealer says no it's an option ! I say how can it be an option if it's manatory on a V8 ! No ! period ! i am not swallowing that at all, you are being deceptive ! GM does not play games like that in their workings. no deal !
I have had plenty of heated arguments with Ford dealers, i totaly dispised them, bar only two that were worthy people to deal with. never a problem with any other dealer ships at all ever.

But as to Jesus he was the Son of God ! and sent here to deal with the bastards who is set down in the Vineyard story, who were not worthy of God in fact, for they were killing all of Gods Prophets in fact and then killed Gods only begotten Son ! So God Vomited them out of the Land.
Jesus was seen as the Christ Jesus when he went to Heaven by the worthy Jews, who became born again = for they were the first Christians !

Jesus only did the will of the father, so that act would be Orthodox ! in regards to God in fact.
Christ Jesus on the other hand is God the Alpha and the Omega ! as no one comes to the Father but throught his only begotten Son ! You can not bypass Christ Jesus to the Father in fact !
So Christ Jesus our Lord and Saviour ? is the begining and the end, as far as Man.

So is God Orthodox ? he has to be Orthodox it's self ! because that's were it comes from. it's set solid in fact, such will not change.