When we die, do we ……

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ervinp

Dec 14, 2023
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi, I was wondering when we die, do we go straight to heaven or hell or we are simply dead and wait for resurrection?

PGS11

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I will stick to the bible Jesus went to hell to get the souls that don't belong there it also says in the bible the the Saints were seen leaving their tombs I am assuming the bible is speaking of their souls rising.The bible seems to indicate it happened right after the sacrifice after Jesus had risen.The word Saint means someone who is saved.

In traditional Christian theology, the Harrowing of Hell, or "the descent of Christ into Hell" or Hades, is the saving act of Christ to the souls in Hades between His Crucifixion and Resurrection. In triumphant descent, Christ preached and bestowed salvation to the souls held captive there since the beginning of the world.

Matthew 27:52-53 American Standard Version (ASV) and the tombs were opened; and many bodies of the saints that had fallen asleep were raised; and coming forth out of the tombs after his resurrection they entered into the holy city and appeared unto many.

Remember we were all condemned to hell in the fall every last one of us for any sin.The only ones who were not are the ones God rewarded for their faithfulness and took them straight to heaven.Enoch is one that was taken without dying.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Daniel 12:2-3 answers this question for you.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, I was wondering when we die, do we go straight to heaven or hell or we are simply dead and wait for resurrection?

Philippians 1:23 KJV
For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

Here Paul appears to believe that departing from here means going to be with Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:6-8 KJV
6) Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
7) (For we walk by faith, not by sight)
8) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Here, Paul wrote that being at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord, and he'd rather be absent from the body, to be present with the Lord, so again, I'd say Paul presents the view that when we are no longer here, we are there with Jesus.

This seems like the right answer to me, considering in Colossians 3, "we are hid with Christ in God". In Ephesians 2,

Ephesians 2:6 KJV
And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Our citizenship is in heaven. But are we actually absent from the Lord now? Isn't He living in us? But we don't see Him. We see through our terrestrial senses. But when these eyes close, I believe we will see Him.

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy