Where did the Bible come from? - Shot out of a canon

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your initial claim was that God wrote the Bible.
This statement about Paul isn't helping your case.
Paul writing more Books in the Bible than anyone isn't helping my case? It's your opinions against Paul. What are your credentials? Paul has plenty!

2 Peter 3:15
15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation--as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you,

Acts 13:9
9 Then Saul, who also is called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him

Acts 15:25-26
25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 18:9-10

9 Now the Lord spoke to Paul in the night by a vision, "Do not be afraid, but speak, and do not keep silent;
10 for I am with you,

Acts 19:11

11 Now God worked unusual miracles by the hands of Paul,

Acts 23:11
11 But the following night the Lord stood by him and said, "Be of good cheer, Paul; for as you have testified for Me in Jerusalem, so you must also bear witness at Rome."

Reactions: The Learner

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
I'm not familiar with that acronym. ???
What does it mean?

/
rth usually means, rock the house.

It isn't unusual to find many people aren't aware the gospel books were anonymous in the original form.

Most scholars believe Paul's letters are his own writing because he signed his name to them.

It also isn't unusual to find there are those who do not know how today's final Bible product arrived.
That it was the result of over 40 different authors and numerous councils convened over many years to determine the canonical Bible of our 21st century version.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Where did the Bible come from? - Shot out of a canon​

Nah, nah, nah....it blew outta the desert......a leaf at a time, and just so we don't get confused, they were numbered!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Where did the Bible come from? - Shot out of a canon​

Nah, nah, nah....it blew I outta the desert......a leaf at a time, and just so we don't get confused, they were numbered!
I guess that old folk song was correct...
"... The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind; the answer is blowin' in the wind."

/

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
rth usually means, rock the house.

It isn't unusual to find many people aren't aware the gospel books were anonymous in the original form.

Most scholars believe Paul's letters are his own writing because he signed his name to them.

It also isn't unusual to find there are those who do not know how today's final Bible product arrived.
That it was the result of over 40 different authors and numerous councils convened over many years to determine the canonical Bible of our 21st century version.
Personally, I don't have any issues with the bibles in existence. But I do for those who insist that these books contain everything that God wants to reveal to us. That they refer to it as God's Word = God's only words to us or the word of God = the only words of God to us.

I'm so glad they are wrong. The greatest revelation I've received from God is not in the pages of the bible.

• Love

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ever wonder why Yahweh did not preserve the original manuscripts for us? Why, I wonder why it seems like knowing the truth now takes a diligent search and careful study. We have the resources now to dig deeper than our forefathers did, yet so few people ever do it.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ever wonder why Yahweh did not preserve the original manuscripts for us? Why, I wonder why it seems like knowing the truth now takes a diligent search and careful study. We have the resources now to dig deeper than our forefathers did, yet so few people ever do it.
I think having a Bible in print has crippled us from hearing from God directly.

/

Reactions: Hepzibah and Spyder

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

/
It is possibly true - for so many people. It truly depends on whether the person seeking true clasps on to what has already been taught or has released the things taught and humbled himself (or herself) to rely on God to give conviction. I think the wall we face is in opening our hearts and minds to realizing that we may have been wrong for a very long time.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is possibly true - for so many people. It truly depends on whether the person seeking true clasps on to what has already been taught or has released the things taught and humbled himself (or herself) to rely on God to give conviction. I think the wall we face is in opening our hearts and minds to realizing that we may have been wrong for a very long time.
The only one that I recall that was told to write something down was the Apostle John and his revelation.
Although perhaps Moses was too, in reference to the law.

But for most of history the common folk were illiterate. Teaching was mostly by oral traditions.
The writing dates on the Gospels shows that decades had passed before they were written.

And there are even questions about authorship. Did Matthew, Mark, Luke and John write these accounts?
The synoptic Gospels seem to work from (copies of) an earlier work with only minor changes and rearrangement.

It wasn't until the fourth century that the western/Latin Church of Rome decided to authorize a canon of scripture.
We Protestants use one of the canons as our Bible and reject the others. (the Apocrypha, for instance)
Nor are most Protestants even aware of other early church writings that weren't canonized.
Have you read the Didache? (teachings of the Twelve Apostles)

\

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

/

The Bible actually helps us to hear from God. What he said is something that people who dont want to read the bible say. From what I understand, after we are close enough with God that we have no problem hearing from God directly, the bible is still an essential tool for us to use. Those who wont read are usually the same ones who will never listen to their conscience either. It just works out that way.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible actually helps us to hear from God. What he said is something that people who dont want to read the bible say. From what I understand, after we are close enough with God that we have no problem hearing from God directly, the bible is still an essential tool for us to use. Those who wont read are usually the same ones who will never listen to their conscience either. It just works out that way.
Good points, thanks.
My concern is with those who claim the Bible is the ONLY way to hear from God.

/

Reactions: Spyder and MA2444

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good points, thanks.
My concern is with those who claim the Bible is the ONLY way to hear from God.

/

Hey you're talking to me again! I only said that because it sounded to me like you were holding the bible in not such a good light. And it's practically the key to it all for it lets us search out the ways of God...(and then God will surpise you one day with His presence!) It's not God itself though though it does have it's place!

Like a Field Manual in the army. Who would go into the army and then not read the manual?! No one. Besides, what if Jesus asks us one day...so, did you read my book?

That would be embarassing to have to say no! Most people dont show their bibles much attention...but it says to seek the Lord while He may be found, so that's what we do. And we read the Field Manual along the way!

Reading scripture (every day) first thing in the morning is the best for me. My brain is fresh and I am rested so I can open the Field Manual and look at the state of my soul every morning. It's like looking into a mirror to read it. I rad and think, hey that sounds like me. (Yikes) I need to repent this morning and ask forgiveness again. Then I can start the day clean and in the company of the Holy Spirit. It's the best way to start a day!

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You see the good thing about reading the bible along the way is that you can do it confidently (read and walk). For He shall give His Angels charge over thee in case you dash your foot against a stone. (It doesn't happen!)

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey you're talking to me again! I only said that because it sounded to me like you were holding the bible in not such a good light. And it's practically the key to it all for it lets us search out the ways of God...(and then God will surpise you one day with His presence!) It's not God itself though though it does have it's place!
Thanks for your reply.
And yes, I usually ignore you. (due to problems in our past communication)

And to be clear, I agree with your points about the Bible, and I actually love the Bible.
I use it every day; BUT I do NOT worship it. (as some seem to)

Question for you:
What would the Christian life be like now if we didn't have a Bible?
Can you imagine that?

And to be clear, I don't see it as a matter of taking something away from you
as much as things working differently to COMPENSATE for not having a Bible.
(if that makes sense) Hard to imagine, I know.

What would the Christian life be like?

/

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply.
And yes, I usually ignore you. (due to problems in our past communication)

And to be clear, I agree with your points about the Bible, and I actually love the Bible.
I use it every day; BUT I do NOT worship it. (as some seem to)

Question for you:
What would the Christian life be like now if we didn't have a Bible?
Can you imagine that?

And to be clear, I don't see it as a matter of taking something away from you
as much as things working differently to COMPENSATE for not having a Bible.
(if that makes sense) Hard to imagine, I know.

What would the Christian life be like?

/
Maybe so, but it's going to be a very small percentage of Christians who worship the bible. Most wont even pick it up.

What would Christian life be like without a bible? Like it was pre-Moses probably. Of course it had to work differently then. But I remember a testimony I heard from a missionary that went to some sort of never contacted tribe before, and they didnt have a bible but they knew about God and about Jesus. When the missionary asked him how he knew these things, he was told...from the teacher who comes to us. And he described a divine being.

SO yeah, God did something different with those people, but they still knew God.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great post. Thanks.
Personally, I don't have any issues with the bibles in existence. But I do for those who insist that these books contain everything that God wants to reveal to us. That they refer to it as God's Word = God's only words to us or the word of God = the only words of God to us.
Well said.
I love my Pastor. But it does bother me when he asks everyone to
grab their copy of "God's word" for the scripture reading.

I'm so glad they are wrong. The greatest revelation I've received from God is not in the pages of the bible.
Would you be willing to share the greatest revelation you've received from God? (not in the pages of the bible)

\

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a good conversation! I like it.

Yes, there are a great many who treat their version of the Bible as a truncheon. They beat their bothers and sisters over the head with it.

The Bible is a "starting point" for growth. Unless we turn our hearts and minds over to God to learn from Him, the Bible remains simply a book that is the seed for verbal combat.

Unless Yahweh is in our classroom, we can't learn very well.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love my Pastor. But it does bother me when he asks everyone to
grab their copy of "God's word" for the scripture reading.

WHy? It always helps retention if you read along at the same time.

The Bible is God's word, but what does that mean? Is it the end all be all of God's words? It can't be because God is alive and surely has spoken sine He wrote the Bible.

But what does that mean to us? Well the Bible is God's word that He has spoken to us in the past and made sure that it got written down and reproduced for all. The word of God is of a spiritual nature because God is a spirit and speaks in the spiritual realm. The Bible is the manifestation of God's spiritual realm spoken word in the natural realm for us. Something we can hold. Something we can see, and read. Something that is connected with the spiritual realm and God through His Spirit. But you have to read it for it to work on you.

I noticed that a lot of people have a story about a divine encounter or revelation and they become a Christian. Maybe even get baptised. Then they go home and attend church on sunday and their Bible collects dust for the rest of the week. Sometimes they'll say, I've never seen a miracle! And they dont even realize that because they dont study their Bible that Christianity doesnt open up for them. So they dont see miracles or signs much if any.

Be not conformed to this world but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind...remember that? (Romans 12:2). Well the reality is for Christians not that one day God comes and does a spiritual shazaam on you and you get transformed, but rather you cooperate and do it yourself inasmuch as you read and study His word (Bible). When you read His word, you are in His presence because His Spirit is there and begins His transforming work on you for as long as you are reading & studying. When you are not reading then He cant work on you!You must be in His presence and the Bible.

Now that in no way means that the Bible is God or to be worshipped in and of itself but it is the manifested word of God to us in our natural realm enviroment that allows us diect access to the Spirit of God. Through His Spirit, you find Jesus. Through Jesus is the only way that one can find the Father.

So when your reading your Bible and a verse or a passage seems to speak to you...and you think, that sounds like me in that one situation...that is the Holy Spirit speaking to you and working on you to transform your mind inside to out with the knowledge and will of God, and provides our access to God's Holy Spirit.

So you cant ignore the Holy Spirit by not reading! You want to see more signs and wonders? More miracles? Try drawing closer to God through His word and He will draw closer to you.
And then one day you will wake up and have a different reaction to a situation in life that you've had before and never reacted that way before (that happened to me!) and you begin to be able to see that, I am being transformed by the renewing of my mind because I've never had that reaction before!

It's not about the signs wonders & miracles, it is about the Lord Jesus and walking with Him in spirit always. And when you do that, all these things shall be added unto you, so you will start seeing miracles. Seeing miracles and stuff is normal Christianity. Real Christianity.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is the beginning of knowledge and Gods words are written down. Study the bible and live longer.

Proverbs 9-9-11 -
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
Teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
10 “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
11 For by me your days will be multiplied,
And years of life will be added to you

Reactions: MA2444