Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Suit yourself. I explained the difference between "carnal regulations" and "carnal men." Regulations are not men. You can believe as you wish.

And your explanation is diametrically opposite the Scripture in question.

Verses 16 & 18 of Hebrews 7 directly apply the descriptors "carnal," "weakness," and "unprofitableness" to the very commandments in question ("men" are not mentioned at all), themselves, unquestionably disqualifying them as being synonymous with the "holy, just, and good commandments" of Romans 7:12.

The "law changed" was the law regarding the priesthood, which is so obvious in the context of the text that the temptation to mock attempts to prove otherwise is nearly overwhelming.

I apparently bypassed that question and failed to see the validity of your question. 7th Day Adventism has been rejected for many years. Pelagianism has been rejected for many years. We're talking centuries, and not just a few years!

Another non-answer—how long, personally?

Pelagianism is just a superfluous straw man distraction and consensus has rejected all forms of Christianity for millennia.

You suit yourself.

Reactions: BlessedPeace

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Sabbath commands in the New Covenant! NONE!

Colossians 2:16
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,
Often repeated,always ignored.

Jesus kept the Sabbath.

The thing is,the anti-Sabbath position is postulated by how many people who go to church on Sunday?

Why do they go to church on Sunday?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Often repeated,always ignored.

Jesus kept the Sabbath.

The thing is,the anti-Sabbath position is postulated by how many people who go to church on Sunday?

Why do they go to church on Sunday?
Actually, Christians are the Church.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The SDA peoples think the cross was incomplete, and Christ suddenly, in 1844 had extra work to do. View attachment 42865

And Big Troll peoples are desperate to find new and curious monkey wrenches to toss into the machinery of Truth.

What do you think all of the furniture—besides the brazen alter that typified Calvary—in the ancient Hebrew Sanctuary service represented—busywork for children of Israel "peoples?"

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Big Troll peoples are desperate to find new and curious monkey wrenches to toss into the machinery of Truth.

What do you think all of the furniture—besides the brazen alter that typified Calvary—in the ancient Hebrew Sanctuary service represented—busywork for children of Israel "peoples?"

Go ahead,give the Trolls busy work Googling Calvary,and brazen.

OK,they already exemplify brazen,but still.

• Haha
Reactions: BarneyFife

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Barney and BlessedPeace, I am obviously not convicted and denying of God's gift of the Sabbath,
Because I did what Jesus said to do instead of Moses.

I may be misunderstanding what you both are saying, perhaps you could clarify for me exactly how one is supposed to keep the Sabbath.
Is it something one keeps for themselves, or is it a gift we give to others?

I keep hearing, Sin is lawlessness, and implying that I denied a gift from God and am not convicted that keeping the sabbath is a serious matter. So I'm asking the experts:
Did I break the law?

Hugs

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Barney and BlessedPeace, I am obviously not convicted and denying of God's gift of the Sabbath,

I may be misunderstanding what you both are saying, perhaps you could clarify for me exactly how one is supposed to keep the Sabbath.

I keep hearing, Sin is lawlessness, and implying that I denied a gift from God and am not convicted that keeping the sabbath is a serious matter. So I'm asking the experts:
Did I break the law?

Hugs
You do what Jesus said to do?Jesus kept the Sabbath.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Did I break the law?

Hugs
Another thing. You keep hearing sin is lawlessness?

You don't know what the word of God says of the Sabbath ?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And your explanation is diametrically opposite the Scripture in question.

Verses 16 & 18 of Hebrews 7 directly apply the descriptors "carnal," "weakness," and "unprofitableness" to the very commandments in question ("men" are not mentioned at all), themselves, unquestionably disqualifying them as being synonymous with the "holy, just, and good commandments" of Romans 7:12.
Really? Let's look at the passage itself, though you seem to be conflating Heb 7 with Rom 7:

Heb 7.11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? 12 For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also...
15 And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, 16 one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life. 17 For it is declared:
“You are a priest forever,
in the order of Melchizedek.”
18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

If you will read the entire context of Hebrews 7, the author is arguing for the need for a *change in law,* namely for a change from the OT Law to Law associated with NT Grace. And why is that? It is because Human Sin under the OT Law was exposed, but only partially redeemed. The ceremonies were perennial because they could never finish the job under that system!

So what was it that rendered the Law "weak" but it's inability to do any more than put a band-aid on the problem of human sin? After redemptive ceremonies and offerings took place, the record of human sin remained undealt with. The record would always return and didn't lie!

Only with Christ's final redemption does our record of sin go away. Even though we still have sin in our lives the record is wiped clean at the cross. We are hidden "in him." We rely on *his record* of sinlessness--not ours.

Rom 7.11 For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. 12 So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

The Law was good, but it could not resolve the problem of sin because sin was lodged in us! The Law itself was "weak" not in the sense of it being bad, but only in the sense it was intentionally given in the knowledge it would not fix the problem for all time. It was a temporary bandage! A "temporary bandage" is not "carnal" in the sinful, or evil sense!
The "law changed" was the law regarding the priesthood, which is so obvious in the context of the text that the temptation to mock attempts to prove otherwise is nearly overwhelming.
Not true. The "law" was the *Law of Moses.* The priesthood was flawed by human sin. As well, Israel as a whole was flawed by human sin.

The priesthood just exemplified the incapacity of sinful Man to self-justify, to self-atone. To limit this truth to the priesthood misses the whole point, that sinful man cannot redeem himself--he must be redeemed by Christ alone.
Another non-answer—how long, personally?

Pelagianism is just a superfluous straw man distraction and consensus has rejected all forms of Christianity for millennia.

You suit yourself.
An answer is an answer. You don't like anything that challenges your opinions. So be it. That's your choice.

Pelagianism is directly at issue since it represents a historic insistence that Man can keep the Law and self-justify. That is essentially what you're saying by requiring of sinful Man adherence to a Sabbath command that is purely an earthly command, having no basis in the redeeming work of Christ.

Putting out various laws and traditions as necessary for our Salvation is elitism at its worst. Some would sell their souls for their denomination.

I hope that's not you? Sell your soul to Christ alone. Get your doctrines from the Holy Spirit and the Scriptures, and not from denominational interpreters who have a vested interest in protecting their denomination!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No answer then.
Thanks.
I'm not sure I understand what you want. The day the church assembles doesn't matter. I've been to good assemblies that meet on Sunday, Monday, Wed, Thur, Fri, doesn't matter.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another thing. You keep hearing sin is lawlessness?

You don't know what the word of God says of the Sabbath ?
I already showed you but I will share it again.

Mat 25:34
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mat 25:35
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mat 25:36
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Mat 25:37
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mat 25:38
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mat 25:39
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mat 25:40
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isa 58:5
Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?
Isa 58:6
Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isa 58:7
Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Isa 58:8
Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.
Isa 58:9
Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
Isa 58:10
And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:
Isa 58:11
And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already showed you but I will share it again.

Mat 25:34
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mat 25:35
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mat 25:36
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Mat 25:37
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mat 25:38
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mat 25:39
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mat 25:40
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Hugs
Everyone picks the passages they want to believe sustains their tradition.