WORLDS.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why was the plural form used in the following from the KJV? ( I have used this translation here because
so many readers will not consider any other.)

Hebrews 1:2 King James Version
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Hebrews 11:3 King James Version
3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Even though worlds or even world is not mentioned in either the Greek Interlinear or the Peshitta.

We can get an inkling of thought from

God and the Other Worlds

The Bible indicates that God chose to also create other worlds: “God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds” (Hebrews 1:2; 11:3).

All these other worlds are un-fallen (Revelation 5:13). Jesus eluded to that in His parable: “What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?” (Luke 15:4). Jesus left these sinless worlds to come to this one lost world to save the creatures that are made in His image (Genesis 1:27).

In the book of Job, the Bible speaks of a heavenly council meeting in which the “sons of God” gathered before the Lord—and Satan showed up to represent our planet (Job 1:6, 7). Job 38:6, 7 also seems to indicate that these “sons of God” existed before our world was made.

Our world is a stage on which the conflict between evil and good, truth and error, is going on before the inhabitants of the universe. “For we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men” (1 Corinthians 4:9).

However, these un-fallen worlds can not contact us because they are restricted from mingling with us. Our planet is infected with the deadly contagious disease of sin, and we are likely quarantined. The only ones that can help the patients in a quarantined hospital ward are the medical staff; in our case, God’s angels.

While the Bible supports the idea that there is life on other worlds, we should be careful to remember that the devil and his angels can easily create illusions to deceive us by posing as aliens or celestial beings from other worlds pretending to help humans. The Bible says, “For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light” (2 Corinthians 11:14) in order to deceive people with his lies. Devils can work incredibly convincing miracles (Revelation 13:13, 14).

We don’t know where these other creations live right now but the good news is that Jesus will come again soon to end the sin problem. After Christ’s second coming, the saved will be able to tour the universe freely and visit all of God’s other worlds.
What say you???

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My translation says Universe.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word used is αἰῶνας (aionas) - plural of aion. "Ages".

Or "Worlds", if you don't go for the Stoic cosmological concept of a sequence of "Ages".

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why was the plural form used in the following from the KJV? ( I have used this translation here because

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Hebrews 11:3 King James Version​

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Even though worlds or even world is not mentioned in either the Greek Interlinear or the Peshitta.

What say you???
Love creates. Appearing as singular to ourselves in God's creative process is not consistent with God having other life forms throughout his multiverses. The combination of a loving God, infinite space and infinite time will only bring me to the conclusion that eternity is not barren or lonely.

PGS11

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The bible was not written in English it was written in Greek which does not translate well to English.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible was not written in English it was written in Greek which does not translate well to English.
The king James translators were well educated and fluent in English, Greek, and Hebrew. They knew very well the intent of each verse when they (47 scholars and clergymen over the course of many years.) translated the King James bible, which is the gold standard to measure by, all the new translations out there today. Bank on it and believe every word.

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It has more to do with "marking periods of time" through eternity, which of course, time doesn't mean much. Save how it corresponds and relates to any particular age, or (an) everlasting.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What say you???
The word typically refers to ages, if it is to mean worlds, we know there are more than the earth in our own solar system.

Romans 8:20-23 KJV
20) For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21) Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22) For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23) And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Colossians 1:20 KJV
20) And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

The whole creation groans, and all things, in heaven or earth, are reconciled to God by Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:18-20 KJV
18) And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
19) To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
20) Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Or "Worlds", if you don't go for the Stoic cosmological concept of a sequence of "Ages".

The Jewish people have a traditional eschatology that divides time into "This World" and "The World to Come". You see this in the words of Jesus:

Jesus said:
29 Jesus said, “Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or farms, for My sake and for the gospel’s sake, 30 but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal life. (Mark 10:29-30 and synoptic parallels)
Or maybe "Ages" is correct.

Getting back to the Hebrews quote, God is of course sovereign over both This World and The World to Come. And apparently the Son is co-creator of (or at least instrumental in creating) both This World and the World to Come. A most remarkable claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What say you???
Well,look at all that astronomers have discovered of late. Other galaxies,planets near in elemental structure to our own, other solar systems. Given our sun is actually a star, imagine how many solar systems could exist.

All that God created,planets,would I think qualify as a world.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The king James translators were well educated and fluent in English, Greek, and Hebrew. They knew very well the intent of each verse when they (47 scholars and clergymen over the course of many years.) translated the King James bible, which is the gold standard to measure by, all the new translations out there today. Bank on it and believe every word.
Worlds and ages are interchangeable words. Ages can be translated as lifetimea, generarions, epochs or eras. Think of it, with each age it was a slightly different world. The Pre-Flood world was drastically different than the post-flood world. Then with each era the world evolved into something different. This high-tech world will soon be destroyed and be transformed into a Paradise like in the beginning.
The sentence begins with "in these last days" implying the Christian age/era.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worlds and ages are interchangeable words. Ages can be translated as lifetimea, generarions, epochs or eras. Think of it, with each age it was a slightly different world. The Pre-Flood world was drastically different than the post-flood world. Then with each era the world evolved into something different. This high-tech world will soon be destroyed and be transformed into a Paradise like in the beginning.
I can read the King James bible just fine. No translation I've read has translated the "ye" for plural. They still change it to "you" for some reason. Those small things make translations not as good to me.
Everyone recites the Lord's Prayer from the King James and I've heard many preachers preach from the NLT only to quote "for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" out of the KJB. So 400yrs of the King James bible is still in our bible language.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can read the King James bible just fine. No translation I've read has translated the "ye" for plural. They still change it to "you" for some reason. Those small things make translations not as good to me.
Everyone recites the Lord's Prayer from the King James and I've heard many preachers preach from the NLT only to quote "for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" out of the KJB. So 400yrs of the King James bible is still in our bible language.
I was agreeing with the KJV translation " "worlds". Just added the interpretation to mean ages of mankind rather than the physical planets. The definition of aion and aionios is a period of time: age(s), generation(s), lifetime(s), epoch(s)
, age-lasting age-during and world(s); but when applied to God, His Doman, our salvation, it means eternity. So it has variable meanings

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hebrews 11:3 King James Version

What say you???

NT Scripture speaks to manKIND about “this world” so forty times, which is indicative that “another world beyond the sight of manKIND exists”.

John 18:
[36] Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Further, Jesus sheds a perspective of “another world”, from whence He was, left, came into this world and then returned to the world ABOVE from whence He came.

John 8:
[23] And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. .

Further, the world ABOVE is called Heaven….and later revealed is HeavenS .

Gen 27:
[39] And Isaac his father answered and said unto him, Behold, thy dwelling shall be the fatness of the earth, and of the dew of heaven from above;

Pss 50:
[4] He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that he may judge his people.

Isa 45:
[8] Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.

A third “HEAVEN” is indicative, something included in a “FIRST and SECOND Heaven “ABOVE”, exists.

2 Cor 12:
[2] I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

A study of Scripture reveals Gods FORM (body) and Gods VOICE (sound), is invisible to the EYES, and silent to the EARS of human manKIND.

John 5:
[37] And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

It is my belief, regarding creation (particularly HEAVEN Above this world, per this discussion) and history, God Himself has provided manKIND with “glimpses”…OF HEAVEN…
* Lower Heavens, clouds, that which manKIND can SEE and has VENTURED INTO…atop mountains, in airplanes. (Which BTW is breath-taking).
* Mid Heavens, particularly SEEN, in the day sky, (sun, clouds); in the night sky of stars, moon, planets; (unapproachable by manKIND).
* Highest Heavens, portals, so to speak, of black holes, VOID of light observed entering or exiting. (Unapproachable by manKIND).

Glory to God,
Taken

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As is Easter.:contemplate:

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I like ages. It fits better then worlds. Worlds seem to indicate that in a Galaxy far far away there would be another ball of mud and potentially another life creation... and so on.....

Ages is still plural, and to me could indicate an age before Adam.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter spoke of different worlds:

2 Peter 3:5-7 KJV
5) For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
6) Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
7) But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

2 Peter 3:13 KJV
Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

He seems to be speaking of 3 heavens and earth. The 3rd heaven Paul spoke of was perhaps the new heaven to come?

Much love!

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno