“This Old Man”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are times when the believer feels something is wrong; and it seems often related to possibly doing something wrong, but we can’t immediately identify the wrongdoing. Well, something is wrong, and it’s always the same thing which is wrong—it’s just the “old man” again (Eph 4:22; Col 3:9)—knocking on the door and asking, “What are you going to do about it?”

It’s always trying to reach us with bad news; but there is never really any bad news, just it making it more difficult for us to be “exhorted” (Heb 10:25). I believe it’s the Enemy using the old man (sin nature), making repeated attempts at interfering with the encouragement of our growth in Christ! Continue to exercise your innocence in the Lord Jesus—and be encouraged!
NC

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are times when the believer feels something is wrong; and it seems often related to possibly doing something wrong, but we can’t immediately identify the wrongdoing. Well, something is wrong, and it’s always the same thing which is wrong—it’s just the “old man” again (Eph 4:22; Col 3:9)—knocking on the door and asking, “What are you going to do about it?”

It’s always trying to reach us with bad news; but there is never really any bad news, just it making it more difficult for us to be “exhorted” (Heb 10:25). I believe it’s the Enemy using the old man (sin nature), making repeated attempts at interfering with the encouragement of our growth in Christ! Continue to exercise your innocence in the Lord Jesus—and be encouraged!
NC
There are many times when I have what I call an artificial feeling of dread. It seems as if something is wrong, but the truth is--nothing is wrong. It's just that God has turned my world upside down, and I have to trust Him to put things together.

We cannot hope to bring balance to the universe, let alone balance to our own lives. We live in constant dread in the sense we are completely reliant on Him, for our circulatory system, for our brain function, for our health, happiness, and sense of fulfillment. Dread is kind of normal, come to think of it!

Knick Knack paddy whack give a dog a bone, this old man came rolling home (to the Kingdom).

Saint of Light

Aug 22, 2023
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NC

When I first saw your post, I thought you were referring to a nursery rhyme that teaches children to beware of child predators. Instead you are talking about an intuitive sense of wrongness. It’s hard to reply to your post because you weren’t specific enough. What exactly are referring to that feels intuitively wrong?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I first saw your post, I thought you were referring to a nursery rhyme that teaches children to beware of child predators. Instead you are talking about an intuitive sense of wrongness. It’s hard to reply to your post because you weren’t specific enough. What exactly are referring to that feels intuitively wrong?
;) Obviously, that's what I thought of too--the nursery rhyme! lol! But I know, from knowing the brother, that he is dead seriously about dealing with our carnal nature--the Old Man. But I'll let him answer for himself...

Saint of Light

Aug 22, 2023
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
;) Obviously, that's what I thought of too--the nursery rhyme! lol! But I know, from knowing the brother, that he is dead seriously about dealing with our carnal nature--the Old Man. But I'll let him answer for himself...

The nursery rhyme “This Old Man” was taught to children as a way of teaching them to keep away older pedophiles who might hurt them. At least that is what the lyrics seems to convey, I think.

I haven’t heard anyone use “the old man” as idiomatic language for carnal nature. Am I not getting something?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The nursery rhyme “This Old Man” was taught to children as a way of teaching them to keep away older pedophiles who might hurt them. At least that is what the lyrics seems to convey, I think.

I haven’t heard anyone use “the old man” as idiomatic language for carnal nature. Am I not getting something?
The "old man" is in Scriptures, and in no way relates to the Nursery Rhyme. My understanding is that the Rhyme was designed to be a teaching tool for children, helping them to learn how to count. ;)

Rom 6.6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.

Saint of Light

Aug 22, 2023
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "old man" is in Scriptures, and in no way relates to the Nursery Rhyme. My understanding is that the Rhyme was designed to be a teaching tool for children, helping them to learn how to count. ;)

Rom 6.6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.

The NIV Bible translates that as “our old self.” It’s the KJV that uses the unfamiliar term. It was written in 1611. English today is much different.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many times when I have what I call an artificial feeling of dread. It seems as if something is wrong, but the truth is--nothing is wrong. It's just that God has turned my world upside down, and I have to trust Him to put things together.

We cannot hope to bring balance to the universe, let alone balance to our own lives. We live in constant dread in the sense we are completely reliant on Him, for our circulatory system, for our brain function, for our health, happiness, and sense of fulfillment. Dread is kind of normal, come to think of it!

Knick Knack paddy whack give a dog a bone, this old man came rolling home (to the Kingdom).
It's ok to dread if your certain you're always secure in God! One can also avoid dreading, as He wants us as much as possible in peace--even through the trials!

Always appreciate your replies Brother.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

You live in dread, is what you mean... @Randy Kluth
Try not to reflect that on real believers who exist in God's "peace that passes all understanding" or as Jesus told the believers "My Peace i give unto you".

See, there is no FEAR or DREAD FOUND there.

Reader,

I'll tell you where the dread comes from...

It comes from wondering if you are really right with God, and not being certain.
Its this "living in uncertainty" about your Salvation that drives the dread, unrest, and fear.
It comes from being led to believe the lie, that Jesus only started your salvation, and now its up to you to finish it.
It comes from not being eternally secure in your understanding of the Grace of God..... as this will pollute your faith with fear.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You live in dread, is what you mean... @Randy Kluth
Try not to reflect that on real believers who exist in God's "peace that passes all understanding" or as Jesus told the believers "My Peace i give unto you".

See, there is no FEAR or DREAD FOUND there.
I have no wish to put dread on others--they're simply going to experience it. It's part of this world's experience--yes even for Christians, and I would have them to learn to maintain "peace," as you say, even in the midst of the storm.

Jesus did that--right in the midst of the storm. But the storm was real, brother. It was not something Jesus wanted to put on his disciples to destroy them, to upset them. He just wanted them to learn to turn to him when things get crazy.

I just attended a memorial service the other day. My nephew--a wonderful, and intense guy, suffered the loss of 1st his wife (who left him for another man), and now a child, by a new marriage. For 53 days the premature daughter held onto life, and finally died. It was one of the most beautiful, emotional memorial services I've been to. It was like looking into the face of Jesus.

We won't always understand. But we can always learn to trust in Jesus, as the song goes. Try to be less critical of others who outwardly appear to use language of fear and distrust. It may not be what they really feel.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I have no wish to put dread on others--they're simply going to experience it.

That kind of talk/teaching is not related to Real Christianity.

Better get a check up from the theological neck up, and figure out that "living in Dread" or "God is going to cause dread" is very theologically Satanic.

You seem to want to define the Devil's work, as if God is doing it to you.

Guess again.
He's not.

A.) God is good all the time.

AA.) The born again is under the blessing of Abraham

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I have no wish to put dread on others--they're simply going to experience it. It's part of this world's experience--yes even for Christians, and I would have them to learn to maintain "peace," as you say, even in the midst of the storm.

Reader,

We can trust God and His word.
What you can't do, is speed up the solution that He's bringing as the answered prayer, and in that.... is how you learn "Experience" and "HOPE".

Right there is the "fiery Trial" that is the "testing".... This is where a lot of spiritual growth occurs.
Its not fun.

See, you are not growing spiritually in the good times.. You are growing in the hard times.

Paul said "I have finished my COURSE"... and that is not an E-Z chair.... that is a obstacle course, that has some devils on it.

Notice, .... = just like the judgment that is executed against sin, is coming.... so is the answer to the prayer, "on the way"...
In most cases.

So, what we do, is hold on to the word, and allow God's Grace to keep us holding on calmly, while we wait.

Paul said that he learned how to have it good, have it bad, have it up, have it down... "in ALL things, He learned to just rest in God".

And that is for us also.

Here are some verses to help you hold on, when you need the answer, and you have to wait for it.

1.) '"""God has not given us the spirit of fear (worry /Dread), but of power, and of love and a sound mind."""

"sound mind" means to not be double-minded, or dread minded with fear, as fear is the opposite of Faith.

Reader.... .remember when Yeshua and the Apostles were on the boat, and Jesus is asleep and a storm came up that was rocking the boat with huge waves. Well, Yeshua is still sleeping and the apostles are "climbing walls"... .and THEY wake Him up......Not the Storm.
He says...>"where is your FAITH".........as their FEAR had lost their faith.

2.) Jesus said ""'be careful for nothing", This means........"do not worry""

Let me show you how to not worry about a problem.

Go to God and give Him the Problem, and thank Him for the answer.
That's it.
Then go and have some tea, and forget about it.
Why? Because you just gave your problem to the Almighty problem solver, and now you leave it there.
You can't worry a solution.
You have to give it to God, who told us to "cast all your cares on me".....'come boldly to the Throne of GRACE and find HELP in your time of Need"....
Then leave it, and Give Him THANKS, and nothing else, if you think about it later.

3.) ""And we know that all things work together for good to them (the born again) that love God"""

See that?
That is "God's timing"......and we have wait for it, and noone likes to wait.
Thats a fact.. But when you have a problem, a big one, it usually has a lot of moving parts, and God has to change the entire circumstance, and that takes time.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reader,

We can trust God and His word.
What you can't do, is speed up the solution that He's bringing as the answered prayer, and in that.... is how you learn "Experience" and "HOPE".

Right there is the "fiery Trial" that is the "testing".... This is where a lot of spiritual growth occurs.
Its not fun.

See, you are not growing spiritually in the good times.. You are growing in the hard times.

Paul said "I have finished my COURSE"... and that is not an E-Z chair.... that is a obstacle course, that has some devils on it.

Notice, .... = just like the judgment that is executed against sin, is coming.... so is the answer to the prayer, "on the way"...
In most cases.

So, what we do, is hold on to the word, and allow God's Grace to keep us holding on calmly, while we wait.

Paul said that he learned how to have it good, have it bad, have it up, have it down... "in ALL things, He learned to just rest in God".

And that is for us also.

Here are some verses to help you hold on, when you need the answer, and you have to wait for it.

1.) '"""God has not given us the spirit of fear (worry /Dread), but of power, and of love and a sound mind."""

"sound mind" means to not be double-minded, or dread minded with fear, as fear is the opposite of Faith.

Reader.... .remember when Yeshua and the Apostles were on the boat, and Jesus is asleep and a storm came up that was rocking the boat with huge waves. Well, Yeshua is still sleeping and the apostles are "climbing walls"... .and THEY wake Him up......Not the Storm.
He says...>"where is your FAITH".........as their FEAR had lost their faith.

2.) Jesus said ""'be careful for nothing", This means........"do not worry""

Let me show you how to not worry about a problem.

Go to God and give Him the Problem, and thank Him for the answer.
That's it.
Then go and have some tea, and forget about it.
Why? Because you just gave your problem to the Almighty problem solver, and now you leave it there.
You can't worry a solution.
You have to give it to God, who told us to "cast all your cares on me".....'come boldly to the Throne of GRACE and find HELP in your time of Need"....
Then leave it, and Give Him THANKS, and nothing else, if you think about it later.

3.) ""And we know that all things work together for good to them (the born again) that love God"""

See that?
That is "God's timing"......and we have wait for it, and noone likes to wait.
Thats a fact.. But when you have a problem, a big one, it usually has a lot of moving parts, and God has to change the entire circumstance, and that takes time.
A big LIKE for that! :)