2 aspects to the Kingdom

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Gospel of the Kingdom and the definition of the Kingdom of God is a favorite subject of mine. I'm likely to have some disagreement with my position because my view is the product of years considering different positions. But I'll share nonetheless. I've shared this message elsewhere, as well.

The Kingdom of God is what I often call the "Hope of Israel," or the "Hope of the Messianic Kingdom." In the OT prophecies Israel was pointed towards the future when they would never be at war or oppressed again. The Messiah would come and establish an eternal Kingdom of peace.

This is, I believe, the "Gospel of the Kingdom." Jesus had come to provide the eternal atonement necessary for this to take place some time in the future. He did not come to establish the Kingdom immediately because it would mean the destruction of Israel and the destruction of the pagan nations.

And God had promised that this would not happen--a catastrophe like the Flood of Noah--until nations had been prepared for Abraham and for his faith. The Kingdom of Christ would await the preaching of the Gospel and the preparation of many nations for this event.

I do believe that there is a "present" aspect of the Kingdom--otherwise, Jesus would not have said "the Kingdom is in your midst." But what he meant was that he was already among them in his own person. Furthermore, he would leave his Spirit with them when he left. The Kingdom would indeed be *spiritually* in their midst.

I don't believe Jesus meant to create an actual dichotomy in the "Gospel of the Kingdom"--one spiritual and one physical. But I do think he established these distinct separate aspects to his Coming Kingdom, because part of preparing for the future Kingdom is getting ready for that Kingdom now, spiritually.

Some, both Pharisees and Jesus' Disciples, had thought that the Kingdom of God was about to arrive--a false sense of "imminency." Jesus corrected this by telling parables of the King's son going off into a distant land to return much later. He was not coming back *imminently.*

But the true imminency of the Kingdom is its present historical aspect, which brings judgment to bear in each individual's life and in each generation. There is always hanging over our heads the prospect of God's blessing or curse, depending on how we respond to the Gospel of the Kingdom. If we respond to it we will receive the Holy Spirit and be saved. If we reject it, and oppose it, judgment will come upon us like a thief in the night.

The Pharisees were misinterpreting Messianic Deliverance in their own time, thinking God would send a political and military leader to deliver them from the Romans, much as the Maccabees had done earlier in history. Jesus warned about "False Christs" and "False Prophets of Peace," because this would be a time of judgment--not peace.

Israel had cloaked great sin in religious garb, and God had seen and would judge their internal violence and corruption. Judgment would come in that very generation, and the temple would be destroyed. The capital and holy city of Jerusalem would be destroyed and oppressed from without for the rest of the age. Israel would struggle among the nations before the Kingdom of God arrives to deliver them.

So Jesus focused his Disciples' attention on the spiritual aspect of the Gospel of the Kingdom, to get them to prepare for the real Coming of the Kingdom, which was still far off in the future. The time for them to prepare was now. Righteousness begins today, and not in the last days. Even though the Kingdom was far off, they could get right with God now, and not be distracted by the Pharisees who had misinterpreted the Kingdom of Christ.

Anyway, this is how I see it. There are two aspects to the Kingdom, one spiritual and one physical, one immediate and one far off. Jesus said the Kingdom is "near," but not *here.*

And so, I don't think we should create a dichotomy between these 2 aspects of the Kingdom. Nor should we create a dichotomy between the physical and the spiritual. The present spiritual aspect of the Kingdom has a "physical" aspect to it as well, inasmuch as our current blessings and curses in history are real, and not purely "spiritual."

When God judges nations in history, He brings real, physical judgment--not "spiritual" judgments. When He saves us in our current lives, He brings real changes. The spiritual aspect to the Kingdom brings material changes, such as changes in our lives, and sometimes even real healings.

There has even been real physical nations in history that have politically changed into "Christian nations." I know--they weren't perfect--like Israel, they were mixed. But these were real, material changes in these countries. We should expect that when we preach the Gospel of the Kingdom, real changes will emerge. It will bring either salvation or judgment--both will be needed, even before the Kingdom of God actually comes.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church is the new covenant
New Israel
Matt 21:43

seek ye first the kingdom of God matt 6:33
Peter has the keys (authority) of the kingdom Matt 23:18