A Divided Law?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question going around is, are the 10 commandments separate, or part of, the Covenant God made with Israel at Mt. Sinai?

So here is my question.

What was Jesus talking about here, the 10 commandments, or the entire Law?

Matthew 5:17-19 KJV
17) Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18) For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19) Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Much love!

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question going around is, are the 10 commandments separate, or part of, the Covenant God made with Israel at Mt. Sinai?

So here is my question.

What was Jesus talking about here, the 10 commandments, or the entire Law?

Matthew 5:17-19 KJV
17) Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18) For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19) Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Much love!
We should refrain from doing what God has revealed to be sin regardless of which commands were included as part of the covenant that God made with Israel at Sinai. For example, it was a sin to commit adultery in Genesis 39:9 long before Sinai, so we should refrain from committing adultery regardless of whether it was included in the Mosaic Covenant. In Matthew 5:17-19, the phrase "Law and the Prophets" refers to a collection of books, such as by saying the "Gospel and the Epistles", so that phrase refers to everything commanded in the Mosaic Law, including the Ten Commandments. "To fulfill the law" means "to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be" (NAS Greek Lexicon: pleroo) so after Jesus said that he came to fulfill the law he then proceeded to fulfill it six times throughout the rest of the chapter by teaching how to correctly obey it as it should be. We would do well to heed his warning against relaxing the least part of the law against teaching others to relax the least part of it.