A Peculiar People - 1 Peter 2:9

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
A Peculiar People - 1 Peter 2:9 Dr. Dan HaydenHave you ever known any peculiar people? I could tell you many stories of people I have known who were just plain odd. Like the man who said to the psychologist, “People think I’m weird because I like potato pancakes.” To which the psychologist responded, “That’s not weird, I also like potato pancakes.” At that point, the man became excited and said, “That’s wonderful, Doc. Listen, why don’t you come over to my house — I have closets and closets full!”When the King James translators used the word “peculiar” in 1 Peter 2:9, identifying Christians as a “peculiar people”, this is not what they had in mind. According to A. T. Robertson, the word “peculiar” comes from the Latin word, “pecus” which means “flock”. The KJV translators were simply reflecting the idea that believers in Christ are the unique possession of God — they are His flock.Actually the word in 1 Peter 2:9 is the Greek word peripoiesis, which has the idea of possession, or personal property. It is the preposition peri, which means “around” — connected to the noun poiesis, which refers to something that is made, or done. Kenneth Wuest, the Greek scholar, says “the Greek word means literally ‘to make around,’ that is, to make something and then to surround it with a circle, thus indicating ownership.” Thus, the New American Standard version translates this phrase as “a people for God’s own possession.” The NIV says, “a people belonging to God” and the NKJV says “His own special people.” The verb form of this word (peripoiéomai) is found in the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the Old Testament) to translate the words of God through the prophet Isaiah, when He said, “This people have I formed for myself” (Isa. 43:21) — [emphasis mine]. It is a strong statement of personal possession — the people belong to God. They are His. So this word peripoiesis is certainly a special word to describe how unique we, as believers in Jesus Christ, are as the personal possession of God. He made us a new creation in Christ Jesus (2 Cor. 5:17) and then He put a circle around us to indicate His ownership, and said in effect “these people belong to Me.” We are indeed a “people for God’s own possession” (1 Peter 2:9 - NAS).Christian friend, I hope that you are encouraged to know that you really are “peculiar”. You belong to a special group of people who are the unique possession of God. You are a member of His eternal family. And that means, of course, that you are the special object of His love and care. It also means however, that we are to live consistent with who we are.We’re not like other people in the world. We’re more than different — we’re unique. And so, we live unique lives to the glory of God who has given to us His Holy Spirit “as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession (peripoiesis), to the promise of His glory” (Ephesians 1:14). ■

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
The KJV translates "pecus" as "purchased possession" in Ephesians 1:14. That's very much in keeping with the view that we are have been purchased by the blood of Jesus.If you are in Christ, you really are God's possession, his child. Amen.

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
(Christina;59158)
A Peculiar People - 1 Peter 2:9 Dr. Dan HaydenHave you ever known any peculiar people? I could tell you many stories of people I have known who were just plain odd. Like the man who said to the psychologist, “People think I’m weird because I like potato pancakes.” To which the psychologist responded, “That’s not weird, I also like potato pancakes.” At that point, the man became excited and said, “That’s wonderful, Doc. Listen, why don’t you come over to my house — I have closets and closets full!”When the King James translators used the word “peculiar” in 1 Peter 2:9, identifying Christians as a “peculiar people”, this is not what they had in mind. According to A. T. Robertson, the word “peculiar” comes from the Latin word, “pecus” which means “flock”. The KJV translators were simply reflecting the idea that believers in Christ are the unique possession of God — they are His flock.Actually the word in 1 Peter 2:9 is the Greek word peripoiesis, which has the idea of possession, or personal property. It is the preposition peri, which means “around” — connected to the noun poiesis, which refers to something that is made, or done. Kenneth Wuest, the Greek scholar, says “the Greek word means literally ‘to make around,’ that is, to make something and then to surround it with a circle, thus indicating ownership.” Thus, the New American Standard version translates this phrase as “a people for God’s own possession.” The NIV says, “a people belonging to God” and the NKJV says “His own special people.” The verb form of this word (peripoiéomai) is found in the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the Old Testament) to translate the words of God through the prophet Isaiah, when He said, “This people have I formed for myself” (Isa. 43:21) — [emphasis mine]. It is a strong statement of personal possession — the people belong to God. They are His. So this word peripoiesis is certainly a special word to describe how unique we, as believers in Jesus Christ, are as the personal possession of God. He made us a new creation in Christ Jesus (2 Cor. 5:17) and then He put a circle around us to indicate His ownership, and said in effect “these people belong to Me.” We are indeed a “people for God’s own possession” (1 Peter 2:9 - NAS).Christian friend, I hope that you are encouraged to know that you really are “peculiar”. You belong to a special group of people who are the unique possession of God. You are a member of His eternal family. And that means, of course, that you are the special object of His love and care. It also means however, that we are to live consistent with who we are.We’re not like other people in the world. We’re more than different — we’re unique. And so, we live unique lives to the glory of God who has given to us His Holy Spirit “as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession (peripoiesis), to the promise of His glory” (Ephesians 1:14). ■
Christina, There is even more to being a peculiar people than you have stated. The term, peculiar means a people different even from those who are supposed to be of the same kind. Can you honestly say that ALL who call themselves Christian are really. Remember that Jesus said many will say to him, LORD, LORD, that they had done many powerful works in his name, but he would say to them; Get away from me, I never knew you, Matt 7:21-23. Consider also, what Titus said, Many will say they know God, but disown Him by their works, Titus 1:16. Consider Rom 2:23,24, which says that the people who claim they are obeying the law cause the people of the nations to Blasphemy the name of God because of not obeying their own teachings. Do you understand what a terrible example this nation, who claims to be a christian nation, sets for true Christianity?? This country is the most immoral nation on earth, we have the most abortions, the most murders, and we have bombed the most nations in this century and the last one. The Bible says that true Christians would be footstep followers of Jesus, 1Pet 2:21. Jesus is the Prince of Peace, not war!! The Bible also tells us we must walk just as Jesus walked, 1John 2:4-6. Can you just imagine Jesus in a foxhole shooting at his apostles who just happened to live in another country, and a nation that you live in has determine that they might be a danger to this nation, someday, so we bomb them. Is that your idea of true Christianity? Jesus said that everyone would know his disciples by the love they showed to people, John 13:34,34. Is bombing showing love?? The Bible says that love is the law's fulfillment, that love does not do evil to his neighbor, Rom 13:8-10. The Bible tells us that those who turn away from God's laws, even their prayers are detestible to Him, Pro 28:9, also Isa 1:15,16. Contrary to what people in this country want to believe this country is no more a Christian Nation that Russia is. Many countries do not even want our movies or songs in their nations for fear of corrupting their youth. A Christian nation would search for peace and pursue it, 1Pet 3:11, Rom 12:18, would be honest in all things, Heb 13:18.

Job one

Jan 9, 2008
Western USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great post Christina!

You might also examine this topic with an expanded view as quoted below:

I Peter 2:6-12”6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.
11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

What great responsibility we have to be honest and by our good works, set an example worthy of emulation, that "whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.:)

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
I love that we're a pecuilar people, God's children, a royal preisthood the bible says, i like to remember that we have royal and holy blood running through our vains :).