A Personal Relationship

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
In a discussion with a Roman Catholic the following reply was made to a post that contained a statement about “a personal relationship with God.”“”I have to disagree. These 'external things', help us focus on something far more important than a 'personal relationship' (90's terminology, not Biblical).””*****First let me make it clear that without Jesus shedding His blood on the cross there would never have been the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Nor would it be possible for mankind to have a personal relationship with God. So the blood is not the issue under discussion. This discussion is about going on from salvation to a personal relationship with God in our hearts.Heb 6:11 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,(NKJ)**Relationship = a connection, being related, connection by blood or marriage: kinship.**Fellowship = companionship, brotherhood.Let us consider Biblical relationships with God.The scriptures say, that in the Garden of Eden, God walked and talked with Adam and Eve. Adam and Eve had a personal relationship with God.When Jesus spoke "to" God what did He call Him? Was it God? Was it Lord? Or was it Father?What kind of relationship is spoken of in these verses?John 17:1111 "Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are.(NKJ)John 17:20-2620 "I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word;21 "that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.22 "And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one:23 "I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.24 "Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.25 "O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me.26 "And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them."(NKJ)Jesus was the Son of God. His relationship with His Father was a personal one. His prayer is that we are as close to the Holy Father in a relationship as He was. His desire is that we become one in a personal relationship with both of them.The scriptures teach that we are children of God and have a Father to child relationship.John 1:12-1312 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.(NKJ)Rom 8:16-1716 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,17 and if children, then heirs-- heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.(NKJ)I Jn 3:11 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.(NKJ)Rom 8:14-1614 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father."16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,(NKJ)A fellowship is a relationship.1 Cor 1:99 God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.(NKJ)I Jn 1:33 that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.(NKJ)A personal relationship with God is our calling as children of God. It is a "fellowship" with Him. The scriptures "do not" teach that a personal relationship with a religion is a substitute for a personal relationship with Jesus in the heart.Let it be seen, that to SAY “a personal relationship with God” is not taught in the scriptures is an extremely false statement.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
QUOTE (RichardBurger @ Mar 17 2009, 02:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70984
...A personal relationship with God is our calling as children of God. It is a "fellowship" with Him. The scriptures "do not" teach that a personal relationship with a religion is a substitute for a personal relationship with Jesus in the heart....
Agreed! Without a personal relationship, Christianity is just another religion.

Vickie

Feb 26, 2009
QUOTE (RichardBurger @ Mar 17 2009, 02:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70984
In a discussion with a Roman Catholic the following reply was made to a post that contained a statement about “a personal relationship with God.”“”I have to disagree. These 'external things', help us focus on something far more important than a 'personal relationship' (90's terminology, not Biblical).””*****1 Cor 1:99 God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.(NKJ)I Jn 1:33 that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.(NKJ)A personal relationship with God is our calling as children of God. It is a "fellowship" with Him. The scriptures "do not" teach that a personal relationship with a religion is a substitute for a personal relationship with Jesus in the heart.Let it be seen, that to SAY “a personal relationship with God” is not taught in the scriptures is an extremely false statement.
Let me I agree with you on that last statement. It is not about a physical church, for the body is made of up of many people. Acts 17:24-25 The God who made the world and everything in it "IS THE LORD OF HEAVEN AND EARTH". and does not LIVE IN TEMPLES MADE BY HUMAN HANDS. For any one to build there Love for God on a temple or church constructed by human hands has been deceived. For as God himselfsays, he does not live there. Christ our new High Priest dwells in us and no longer in buildings. It not about a religious ideology, but the great God himself being in us and intimacy with him and the Father. It is real He is living in each of us and all we have to do is start acknowledging and speaking to Him, in all areas of our life for help, guidanceGod wants intimacy with us and we must have this with him. Enjoyed your post so very much because you spoke truth in the scriptures.Vickie