Premarital sex is a sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A husband accused his newlywed wife in Deuteronomy 22:

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.
If a woman had premarital sex and her new husband complained about it, she could be stoned to death.

If a man has sex with a married woman:

22 “If a man is found lying with the wife of another man, both of them shall die, the man who lay with the woman, and the woman. So you shall purge the evil from Israel.
If a man has sex with an unmarried woman, Exodus 22:

16 “If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife. 17 If her father absolutely refuses to give her to him, he must still pay the bride-price for virgins.
In the OT, there was a double standard due to polygyny.

In the NT, premarital sex is under the general umbrella of sexual immorality, 1 Corinthians 6:

18-20 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
Legal sex is described in 1 Corinthians 7:

2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.
Today, in Canada where I live, polygyny is a crime and marrying a non-virgin woman is not. So we cannot apply these OT laws in Canada. In any case, Jesus fulfilled the Law already. There is no need to be legalistic about it. My point is a spiritual one: sex outside of a husband and wife relationship is sin, then and now, in the eyes of God.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A husband accused his newlywed wife in Deuteronomy 22:

If a woman had premarital sex and her new husband complained about it, she could be stoned to death.

If a man has sex with a married woman:

If a man has sex with an unmarried woman, Exodus 22:

In the OT, there was a double standard due to polygyny.

In the NT, premarital sex is under the general umbrella of sexual immorality, 1 Corinthians 6:

Legal sex is described in 1 Corinthians 7:

Today, in Canada where I live, polygyny is a crime and marrying a non-virgin woman is not. So we cannot apply these OT laws in Canada. In any case, Jesus fulfilled the Law already. There is no need to be legalistic about it. My point is a spiritual one: sex outside of a husband and wife relationship is sin, then and now, in the eyes of God.
I have to restrain myself from being too judgmental on some of these matters. The woman who has had sex and marries, only to be discovered, is obviously someone who has deceived her new husband. That is different from marrying somebody, with earlier relationships already being out in the open.

And secondly, what about the woman who consents to have sex with a man while yet unmarried, and the two ultimately marry. Who can say that is Sin if they in the act of sex are consenting to a kind of marriage?

Deceit is wrong, and adultery is wrong. Premarital sex, in my view, is not always a sin, particularly in a society that is not of faith, and legal marriage may not be defined according to biblical standards. If a couple make a subconscious choice to live as though legally married, then for me it is no different than biblical marriage.

I say all this not because I want to be controversial, but only in recognition of the fact my own society is no longer Christian overall. So definitions of what is Sin must come from the Lord, and not from the State. Nor should people be condemned for what they don't know, but only for what they actually do that is immoral.

And that involves deception and abuse. A couple "living together" can't be said to be deceiving one another or abusing one another necessarily. My opinion only.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
16 “If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife. 17 If her father absolutely refuses to give her to him, he must still pay the bride-price for virgins. (Exodus 22:16-17)

You devalued the father's property. "You broke it, you bought it".

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
16 “If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife. 17 If her father absolutely refuses to give her to him, he must still pay the bride-price for virgins. (Exodus 22:16-17)

You devalued the father's property. "You broke it, you bought it".
I should not laugh but I did :)

I told my sons: "You kiss her: you marry her. That was what I did."