Alive or Dead to Holiness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you Epi,
There is a peace that was never there before, no worries about catastrophes or my roof flying off as, just knowing He would provide a way. I'm also aware that there is much more TO be crucified yet...
Thanks for your explanation and, I so hope to actually walk in His Spirit one day.

Amen! That is my desire as well. And for all who call on Him. :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Teresa of Avila described this! I'm not sure she understood it to be led vs. walking in, but she described a difference in prayer / communion with God that she likened to at first, drawing water up out of a well by hand vs later (after giving up everything), having a water wheel and so not laboring to draw the water because the wheel does the work.

Interesting! Nice analogy. Of course she is going to use an example from the technology of her time! ;) I like using aviation technology. :)

I think we have a common understand...Teresa (of Avila) and I. She also experienced that heart cutting from God. She said she saw an angel with a spear over her cutting into her heart. For me I thought it was a knife...after being held down by invisible hands. But I didn't see anything.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to derail your thread, but did you know Teresa was great friends with John of the Cross? She had a rough go, with her superiors and spiritual advisors convincing her that the things she experienced were from the devil. One of them eventually called on John to meet with and advise her and he was the one who freed her from the terror they had given her by telling her that her experiences were from God.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Epi,
There is a peace that was never there before, no worries about catastrophes or my roof flying off as, just knowing He would provide a way. I'm also aware that there is much more TO be crucified yet...
Thanks for your explanation and, I so hope to actually walk in His Spirit one day.

I think I am where you are...! It was such a struggle for me to finally get to that place and to STAY in that trust without wavering, that I feel He is giving me a time of rest (and a little more light exercise and firming) before any more battles. But lately, I have had some...antsiness? But even that feels like a test, or a temptation, to begin fussing over things again rather than resting and waiting for where He takes me next. I begin to hear a voice saying, oh, you are just being lazy and dissipating. But after 10 seconds or so, I just laugh at and refuse the voice and say, shut up, I will wait for Him.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to derail your thread, but did you know Teresa was great friends with John of the Cross? She had a rough go, with her superiors and spiritual advisors convincing her that the things she experienced were from the devil. One of them eventually called on John to meet with and advise her and he was the one who freed her from the terror they had given her by telling her that her experiences were from God.

You know, when you think about it, so much has changed in the world, but not so much with The Way...it has always been that men who are in positions they shouldn't be in do harm to men who should be in those very positions...

Reactions: faithfulness

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I'm sure in their day that these were accused of making up their own theology. I looked up the waterwheel explanation concerning grace. Nice analogy.

She is very developed in her step by step entrance into deeper grace. She cites 4 different levels of grace. The deepest level...which is the gift of grace in it's fulness is where everything is easy and the grace overflowing. Where grace rains down and we are passive in that we are crucified and it is God tending the garden. This is so true! :)

I would add one more level to that...walking in the light...where we see Zion and things in the Spirit. A knowing that one is seeing into the spiritual dimension. Seeing as Jesus sees. Walking as He walked (although that 4th level of hers also explains that part).

St. Teresa of Avila and Watering the Garden

But that next level (of my experience) isn't necessary to the victorious walk. When we are filled with the Spirit...in the gift of grace we bear His fruit because He is the One tending the garden.

The 2 years that I walked without sin....were at the 4th level....that she states. It was the original 3 days where I experienced the fifth level.

Otherwise I have been bouncing around between level 1 and 2. There is a missing link for my experience. So her explanation is very helpful.

thanks for this...

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something I read of Teresa years ago profoundly affected me, but it wasn't until I recalled it years later that I had that moment. I think of those moments as...a locked door being kicked down. It was where she spoke to the novices of not being tempted to beg for bread from their benefactors or it would not go well with them.

Teresa was taught a lot by John. What she mentions about the memory, intellect and will is straight from him.

But John dealt a lot with the times we are NOT experiencing those graces in our senses. And he also outlines a perfecting in two stages (with many stages within both of them). I guess the major gist would be that in the dark and thirsty times, He is working in us even MORE than in the wonderful and sweet times.

It's like...he deals with a particular thing in depth that Teresa only mentions in passing. He calls the 2 legs of the journey the dark night of the senses and then a further dark night of the soul.

Anyway, after John taught and helped Teresa, she flourished, whereas before, she floundered around and everything was made worse by her superiors and their instruction. After John, she became bold.

I almost can't imagine reading just one of them. You sort of need to read both of them, even though John is more challenging to read in my opinion. He was, at first, confusing to me, even though I could clearly see he was describing what I was experiencing. Teresa kicked down a door for me, but John kicked down many doors. In fact, there have now been three different Johns who did that for me in my life - John in the bible gospel, John of the Cross, and a third John who I won't mention here. :)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sure in their day that these were accused of making up their own theology. I looked up the waterwheel explanation concerning grace. Nice analogy.

She is very developed in her step by step entrance into deeper grace. She cites 4 different levels of grace. The deepest level...which is the gift of grace in it's fulness is where everything is easy and the grace overflowing. Where grace rains down and we are passive in that we are crucified and it is God tending the garden. This is so true! :)

I would add one more level to that...walking in the light...where we see Zion and things in the Spirit. A knowing that one is seeing into the spiritual dimension. Seeing as Jesus sees. Walking as He walked (although that 4th level of hers also explains that part).

St. Teresa of Avila and Watering the Garden

But that next level (of my experience) isn't necessary to the victorious walk. When we are filled with the Spirit...in the gift of grace we bear His fruit because He is the One tending the garden.

The 2 years that I walked without sin....were at the 4th level....that she states. It was the original 3 days where I experienced the fifth level.

Otherwise I have been bouncing around between level 1 and 2. There is a missing link for my experience. So her explanation is very helpful.

thanks for this...

I think John of the Cross might say that missing link is sort of not your concern but is Gods work of purifying and growth in the virtues. John has taught me not to fuss too much but to wait in trust. After all of Johns work and the amazing way he labored over the stages, he sort of ended with dropping it all and summed it up with: I must become nothing, I must desire nothing.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't talk about Teresa without telling my favorite story of hers. She had to travel to one of the houses she had founded and it was some distance. She was ill, a bad cold I think, and it was rainy and miserable and cold. The carriage got stuck in the mud. She said something like...why are you doing this?? God answered, this is how I treat all of my friends. She replied, yes, Lord, and that is why you have so few!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think John of the Cross might say that missing link is sort of not your concern but is Gods work of purifying and growth in the virtues. John has taught me not to fuss too much but to wait in trust. After all of Johns work and the amazing way he labored over the stages, he sort of ended with dropping it all and summed it up with: I must become nothing, I must desire nothing.

I think my lack is in my character...I'm missing something in my self-discipline. So I've never been to level 3 as she puts it. I have parachuted into higher levels...but only by the mercy of God. Never by sheer maturity. So these levels give me something to pray about! :)

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One cannot read the bible as just another book. There is a perspective that needs to be taken into account. God's perspective. That perspective is so often lacking in the private interpretations of bible readers...instead people tend to read the bible from their OWN perspective. But this distorts the message beyond any semblance of clarity or accuracy.

And because of this lack of understanding, many on this thread will misunderstand what I'm saying...and therefore miss the message just as in their own reading of the bible.

I would like to begin by the perspective itself. That perspective being God's...and concerns holiness.

Look at what Jesus says here...

"without Me you can do nothing" (John 15)

We can do nothing? We can't feed ourselves or go places or build things?

AH...but we see here that Jesus isn't talking about things in this world...but holy things...eternal things. So then we need to enter into Christ in order to be partakers of His holy things..the eternal things.

Heb. 12:10 "For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness."

We never get our own holiness. We partake of His holiness when we abide in Him. neither can we grow into His holiness. It is always His...never ours. So then we need to be taken to Him...translated into Him. So then holiness is about LOCATION...being IN Him.

So we are either in Him or out of Him.

Now comes the hard part... :)

Many claim to be in Him but are not bearing a holy fruit. Well then such are mistaken....these are in error. This kind of error leads to lies....and they who profess such lies become liars. And this happens because people want so badly to not seem to be lacking in any way...in a prideful kind of way. Pride gets in the way of understanding the truth.
God makes us Holy. How?
What is purity? Cleansing our hearts, becoming pure, opening our hearts, learning to love in Christ and with Christ. So many believers neither want this or believe they need it. But in truth without a pure heart we will not see God.
So many claim to know God but are impure. Paul says simply the impure will not inherit the kingdom. How many fear this, know how severe God is. Prophet's have died for less, eaten by a lion, for just eating a meal when commanded not to.
Paul knows the King. Pure, blameless, righteous is our goal.