Anathema: can you help me explain to someone how a pastor cannot curse you to hell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free

Aug 25, 2021
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

This "church" I know has members who believe that their "Apostle" can anathema them (curse them to hell).

How can I explain that he cannot do that? There are people who are too afraid to leave because they think he will curse them even when they don't believe most of what he teaches.

Please watch the video for context and why they would be terrified of leaving. The video shows a section where this "Apostle" is threatening sending members to hell for disobedience and sin.

Please help me help them...

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can I explain that he cannot do that? There are people who are too afraid to leave because they think he will curse them even when they don't believe most of what he teaches.

You can't. I have dealt with deprogramming a good bit and when dealing with someone who ( for any number of reasons) has committed to the (belief, organization, individual) thing- mere "words" seldom work.

Its a double edged sword because on the front side, there is the difficulty of releasing a core belief and on the back side there is always either separation anxiety or fear of retribution (often both).

The best you can do it pray the Lord "gets their attention" in a way that makes them receptive to the truth then give it to them. Then be supportive if they do get out.

You would best serve in the mean time by being a source of correct doctrine on salvation and showing them the error of what they are being fed.