Another New Comet

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Another new cometCOMET Yi-SWAN: It's up all night long. Northern circumpolar Comet Yi-SWAN is gliding through the constellation Cassiopeia where it can be seen at almost any hour of the night through amateur telescopes. Working at his backyard observatory in Ellisville, Missouri, Gregg Ruppel took this picture on April 9th:At the moment, the green, fuzzy comet is about as bright as an 8th-magnitude star--too dim for the naked eye. If predictions are correct, it will remain a telescopic comet, brightening only a little as it approaches the sun for a 190 million kilometer not-so-close encounter on May 8th. Astronomers will get a better look at the comet in the evenings ahead as the bright light of the full Moon fades. Comet Yi-SWAN was co-discovered by amateur astronomers Dae-am Yi in Korea and Rob Matson in the USA. Yi photographed the comet himself using a Canon 5D and a 90 mm lens. Matson noticed it in images taken by the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory's SWAN sensor. Because of naming traditions (which should probably be modified) the comet bears SWAN's name, not Matson's. This appears to be Comet Yi-SWAN's first visit to the inner solar system. A fresh comet exposed to intense sunlight for the first time can behave in unexpected ways. Will it grow a tail, fragment, brighten ... ? Stay tuned for updates

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yi-Matson would sound better.
wink.gif
The technology didn't find it, he did. It would be like naming Yi's part after the camera - so you'd have the Cannon-Swan comet which sounds a lot like a Nascar idea. I guess one day they'll be the tide detergent-ford focus comets.

blazearmstrong

Jan 27, 2010
There's practically an inumerable number of comets out there. I hope I discover one. I'm gonna name it after my dad.