Anyone still use the anointing oil?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
kaotic profit said:
If we can't verify that any Spiritual gift (or the experience of it) is truly authentic and from God, then that means we can't tell the difference between which spirit gives the utterance! Is it an utterance of man, of Satan, or of God? Every spiritual gift is verifiable. If it cannot be, then there's no way to determine if the gift truly is of the Holy Spirit.

I agree, we can indeed tell the difference by the spiritual gift of discerning of spirits.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
jiggyfly said:
You should read what Paul in 1Cor.14:2
2 For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious.
1 Cor 14:2 (NLT)

kaotic profit said:
This is a better translation.
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Uh, the KJV isn't a better translation, because nowhere in the Greek manuscripts does the word unknown appear in 1 Corinthians 14.

If you read that chapter carefully, you will see that Paul is describing a person who speaks in tongues as a person who is praying to God. Thus, any interpretation of tongues has to be a prayer to God. Otherwise you have either a case of false tongues, a case of false interpretation or both.

1 Corinthians 14:2, 16-17:
For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God . . . Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer, say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.
In Acts 2:6-11 we read the following:
When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!"
So, the gift of biblical tongues is the ability to pray to God or to praise God in a known human language that one has not learned through natural means.

Also in 1 Corinthians 12:7-14 we read the following:

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines. Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.

For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.
1 Corinthians 12:17-19:
If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
1 Corinthians 12:28-31:
And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?

In these verses, the Apostle Paul tells us that all Christians have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit, but that the Holy Spirit does not give the gift of biblical tongues to every Christian.

Now, getting back to the topic of this thread, during biblical times, olive oil was used as a topical medication. Thanks to God's gift of modern-day medicine, we can use modern-day medicine to cure illnesses instead of olive oil.

Alanforchrist said:
How dare you call God's most Holy gift, "Babblings".
Alan, your above-quoted statement is an example of begging the question.

zhavoney

Son Of Man
Aug 25, 2013
rockytopva said:
Didn't the bible say...

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. - John 14:12

If it was only meant for the Apostles then I believe that the Lord would have emphasized that point!
Yes He did and He was talking to "He that Believes in Me". From the first to the Last and the Last First.

Matthew 19
30 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I have tidied this thread up...
3vul2.gif

Thank you!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not a thread about tongues. If you want to talk about tongues start a new thread. This is a thread about the anointing oil and its modern day applications. In most Christian Forums I have been to getting off topic is a quick way of getting banned. The direction of this thread went was off topic in which the appropriate action was taken.

BLACK SHEEP

May 24, 2013
Arnie Manitoba said:
Are you deleting posts again ?

That is censorship , not moderation

Hammerstone .... can you step in here ?
She did the right thing and did it upon my request. AlanforChrist accused me of very inappropriate things simply because we disagree. I didn't want to see all the post go. But I think that was the only way to do it with all the quotes.

I would have left the forum AGAIN if they were not deleted. That's just the kind of guy I am!

rockytopva said:
This is not a thread about tongues. If you want to talk about tongues start a new thread. This is a thread about the anointing oil and its modern day applications. In most Christian Forums I have been to getting off topic is a quick way of getting banned. The direction of this thread went was off topic in which the appropriate action was taken.
Thanks for reminding us. It's all too easy for us to hijack threads.

Yes I occasionally go to one Pentecostal Church that does use the anointing oil. I like it!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Arnie Manitoba said:
Are you deleting posts again ?

That is censorship , not moderation

Hammerstone .... can you step in here ?
Arnie,
I am not just a moderator...I am acting admin, representing HS when he is not on-board...As Rocky has pointed out already...this thread is not about tongues. Please keep to the O/P

Thank you

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I am able to understand James 5:14 where the elders of the church quietly gathering around the sick , anoint them with oil and pray for them ... seems pretty straightforward to me.

But when I watch Schambach and Associates , it appears to be theater and sensationalism , and emotionalism .... bonking people on the head , people falling over , arms waving , bodies swaying , supposing some "miracle" is happening.

And if there was a healing , I expect it would be because of the prayer of the righteous elders , not the oil itself , nor any staged theatrics .

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My spiritual domain...

John Wycliffe
King James Version of the Bible
John Bunyan
Jacobus Arminius
John Wesley
William Seymour
Smith Wigglesworth

In which doctrine formed with the Pilgrims Progress...

Beginning the Journey - Justification by faith
Wicket Gate - Salvation
Interpreters House - Sanctification
***An emotional experience as the pilgrim catches glimpse of the cross***
Difficulty Hill - The tough journey towards witness of the Spirit.
The Porters House - Witness of the Spirit.

In which not everyone shares my spiritual domain, which is OK. As far as Schambach, he took the Gospel to the poorest part of the country, in which I have respect, and which testimonies bare out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmOnGx3zNto

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I know thousands of Mennonites who spend their whole lives in third world countries serving the poor and teaching the gospel

I am glad that Schambach goes there too.

But if we brought him 10 sick people , had him anoint them with oil , pray for them ,,, would they all be healed ?

I doubt it .... and I doubt he would want to subject himself to such a test.

I wish he could heal,
I wish you could heal ,
I wish I could heal.
I wish all of us could heal.

But it appears that the genuine article is few and far between and probably decided by the Lord himself when it does happen. I think we should pray always , and trust God for healing , .... and hope for the best.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
James 5:14-15 (NIV): "Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven."

So, it is not the oil that takes away the sickness.

For what it's worth, there is a dispute about who is an elder.