Are breathing exercises okay?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

peter19220

Jul 24, 2014
Hello everyone! There has been something that bothers me lately. I have been reading a lot of self-help books, trying to improve my grades. There are a lot of methods of visual visualization which I know are New Age stuff and once I know it, I stopped trying it. But lately, I read a book called " The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It. Below are some paragraphs from the book:

“Neuroscientists have discovered that when you ask the brain to meditate, it gets better not just at meditating, but at a wide range of self-control skills, including attention, focus, stress management, impulse control, and self-awareness. People who meditate regularly aren’t just better at these things. Over time, their brains become finely tuned willpower machines. Regular meditators have more gray matter in the prefrontal cortex, as well as regions of the brain that support self-awareness[ not spiritually. It means aware of the fact that you need to keep studying instead of going to the fridge and eat a candy bar]

Meditation increases blood flow to the prefrontal cortex, in much the same way that lifting weights increases blood flow to your muscles. The brain appears to adapt to exercise in the same way that muscles do, getting both bigger and faster in order to get better at what you ask of it. So if you’re ready to train your brain, the following meditation technique will get the blood rushing to your prefrontal cortex—the closest we can get to speeding up evolution, and making the most of our brains’ potential.

Breath focus is a simple but powerful meditation technique for training your brain and increasing willpower. It reduces stress and teaches the mind how to handle both inner distractions (cravings, worries, desires) and outer temptations (sounds, sights, and smells). New research shows that regular meditation practice helps people quit smoking, lose weight, kick a drug habit, and stay sober. Whatever your “I will” and “I won’t” challenges are, this five-minute meditation is a powerful brain-training exercise for boosting your willpower.

Here’s how to get started:

1. Sit still and stay put .
Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the ground, or sit cross-legged on a cushion. Sit up straight and rest your hands in your lap. It’s important not to fidget when you meditate—that’s the physical foundation of self-control. If you notice the instinct to scratch an itch, adjust your arms, or cross and uncross your legs, see if you can feel the urge but not follow it. This simple act of staying still is part of what makes meditation willpower training effective. You’re learning not to automatically follow every single impulse that your brain and body produce.

2. Turn your attention to the breath.

Close your eyes or, if you are worried about falling asleep, focus your gaze at a single spot (like a blank wall, not the Home Shopping Network). Begin to notice your breathing. Silently say in your mind “inhale” as you breathe in and “exhale” as you breathe out. When you notice your mind wandering (and it will), just bring it back to the breath. This practice of coming back to the breath, again and again, kicks the prefrontal cortex into high gear and quiets the stress and craving centers of your brain .

3. Notice how it feels to breathe, and notice how the mind wanders.

After a few minutes, drop the labels “inhale/exhale.” Try focusing on just the feeling of breathing. You might notice the sensations of the breath flowing in and out of your nose and mouth. You might sense the belly or chest expanding as you breathe in, and deflating as you breathe out. Your mind might wander a bit more without the labeling. Just as before, when you notice yourself thinking about something else, bring your attention back to the breath. If you need help refocusing, bring yourself back to the breath by saying “inhale” and “exhale” for a few rounds. This part of the practice trains self-awareness along with self-control.

That’s pretty much it. I think breathing exercises are very similar to meditation. Basically, when I’m practicing this breathing exercise, I just sit still, trying to resist scratching an itch, moving my body and breathing as steady as I can. There is nothing like focusing on the universal mind, Zen, body energy etc. But I don’t know since so many other religions like Buddhism practices meditation which contains breathing exercises. There are many scientific significance for breathing exercises which are not religious but I worried this might conflict with my beliefs.
Thinking further, I control my breath when running; women control their breath during labor.
Is it okay with this breathing exercise? I just want to assure that this practice does not conflict with my beliefs. Thank you!

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Greetings, Peter and welcome!

I think that Tai Chi videos are the best way to go so that I'm focused on the technique rather than the dogma. The instructor sparses in a bunch of Eastern religion, but I ignore it, sometimes even turning off the volume. Reading about meditation leaves too much opportunity to be exposed to nonsense you don't want to be. It's almost like cheating the way we Christians can benefit from these exercises without giving credit to the "universe"!
lol-020.gif

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You cannot involve yourself in something associated with another God like any form of Martial arts techniques. This is because they have a source [god] which is in opposition to the God of the bible. My friends mother [who is not a christian] uses the same technique you are explaining in the O/T, to be a channel for spirit guides [demons]. She is a clairvoyant who dabbles in the occult. I think that Christians are not aware of the dangers of using such techniques...

On a side note; After many years, my friend stopped being involved with martial arts but he was still plagued by idolatry and the demonic forces involved with the art. He has finally become free from those influences and like an alcholic who no-longer drinks, he stays clear of it.
He asked me once if he could keep his gi and perhaps I could pray over it to remove any evil influences involved but I explained that you cannot remove the purpose of the uniform...it is what it is...

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Angelina said:
You cannot involve yourself in something associated with another God like any form of Martial arts techniques. This is because they have a source [god] which is in opposition to the God of the bible. My friends mother [who is not a christian] uses the same technique you are explaining in the O/T, to be a channel for spirit guides [demons]. She is a clairvoyant who dabbles in the occult. I think that Christians are not aware of the dangers of using such techniques...

On a side note; After many years, my friend stopped being involved with martial arts but he was still plagued by idolatry and the demonic forces involved with the art. He has finally become free from those influences and like an alcholic who no-longer drinks, he stays clear of it.
He asked me once if he could keep his gi and perhaps I could pray over it to remove any evil influences involved but I explained that you cannot remove the purpose of the uniform...it is what it is...
I disagree. Christians practice yoga and train in martial arts without getting involved in the spiritual aspects. Besides which, these arts are highly beneficial to both the body and the mind. Can you imagine if work everyday started with a gentle Tai Chi session? It reduces stress, lubricates the joints, stretches the muscles, and prepares the body for the stresses ahead. I think these arts are Asia's contribution to the world and should be enjoyed by the world. I disagree with Christians who cede territory to Satan, as if rock music, dancing, and many other things should be avoided altogether because of the way it's abused. It certainly is at loggerheads with Paul's admonishment (everything is permissible to me, but not everything is beneficial) If something is beneficial, it shouldn't be withheld from us. It doesn't belong to Satan because Satan doesn't own anything we don't willingly give him.

Reactions: Tex

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I studied Yang style Tai Chi Chuan (or Taiji quan) for 3 years under a teacher (sifu) Sidney Austin before I trusted Christ for my salvation. I also studied a "Chen" style form for about a year under my teacher's teacher, Master Jou, Tsung Hwa. Since my teacher was a martial artist and black belt in Kung Fu, he taught Tai Chi not simply as exercise, but for the purposes of self defense. Both of these teachers are now deceased, so I don't believe anyone would be offended by my use of their names.
As a form of healthy exercise, its hard to beat Chinese internal martial arts. However, a big part of the training is about learning how to mobilize energies, using the mind and will to guide "chi" flow through the body. I was what you might call a highly motivated student, as I took up the practice while trying to recover from the effects of a compressed disc in my lower back which went without medical treatment for the term of my unemployment between two jobs (which had been at least 3 or 4 months.) Neither my medical doctors or Chiropractor (at that time) expected me to recover and regain full use of my legs (I experienced some muscular atrophy and loss of range of motion), but I did actually recover.
Through meditation, the practice of the Tai Chi "Chi kung" exercise, "negative" breathing technique, and Tai Chi forms (the dance like movements that have given the art its recognition) I became adept at moving energies through my body, at first while in movement, and later while still. Some would claim that these practices are imaginary in their effect, but at that time I had become sensitive enough to what was going on within my skin that I could will individual muscles that were cramping up in my back to relax (though I've lost that sensitivity through lack of regular practice.) Chinese traditional medicine is based upon the activation of Chi movement by various means.
On a certain day about 18 years ago, a brother in the Lord, by the name of Jerome, explained the gospel to me, and I was ready to receive it as true. This brother prayed with me to receive the Holy Spirit, holding my hands and leading me through a prayer of confession of faith and of a request to receive Him. I said that prayer in belief and with the expectation of receiving the Lord and I can tell you that I was never more astonished than at the moment we completed that prayer, because I felt the strongest movement of my "chi" that I'd ever experienced, like an electrical jolt rushing upward through my body to the top of my head and out (there is a critical acupuncture point at the crown of the skull that I would associate with the experience.) In retrospect I perceived that my "chi" was not simply impersonal energies, but something "unclean" which couldn't abide with the Spirit of Holiness.
Since those times I have had reason to begin practicing form and breathing exercises again, mostly because of chronic back problems, and I can still use my will to affect blood flow and muscular tension within my body, but the experience is very different from the time before I believed the Lord; those "energies" are unable to return into the presence of His Spirit and most of what I now experience is simply memory of what I'd previously experienced (the mind is a powerful thing and wonderfully made.) I don't think that there is any harm in practicing the exercises now that I understand the truth behind my experiences (the deception of the demonic doctrines behind the art), but I wouldn't recommend that anyone foreign to such practices should begin them or having done them to continue in them unless they were entirely confident of their relationship with God and in Christ (that is confident and secure in a personal relationship founded in the new birth of the spirit, made alive in Christ.)
Some time ago I began writing a book about the practice of Tai Chi (which I hope to eventually finish), and not as a "Christian" book, but a book for students of the art written from a Christian perspective, allowing me to share my testimony and expose the fundamental deception of the art while still validating the claims of its adherents with regard to experiential phenomena. As an advanced student, I was tasked by my Sifu to assist in teaching forms and practices, so I feel an obligation to help undo the damage that I was responsible for in the minds of people that I thought of as more than just associates and fellow practitioners of the art.
You need to know that if you choose to engage in the practice of meditation (in the eastern sense of the word's usage), you will experience serious spiritual attacks upon your mind. The alteration of the mind's function with either psychotropic drugs, or through endorphins produced by "heightened" mental states will always make the mind more open to external (or internal) stimuli, most of which is intended to challenge your belief and sense of purpose, and primarily to convince you that you are something "special" and somehow above ordinary men. The challenge then becomes to remember at all times that we are no more than animated mud, lifted up by God to be renewed in His image.
We are what we've become by the grace of God, some having presumed upon His longsuffering a bit more than others. We can't undo what we've done, or unlearn the things that we know, but you need to question the wisdom of seeking benefit within the realms of demonic deception. If you desire to receive the health benefits of proper breathing and exercise, I would recommend that you take up the practice of swimming laps in a good sized pool. When you've learned how to coordinate your breathing with your strokes and find a pace that you can continue in for an indefinite period of time, you'll have mastered an exercise that works nearly every muscle in the body with very low impact on the joints, yet with all the cardio pulmonary benefit of jogging, riding a bicycle, quick walking, etc.

bud_break

Jul 15, 2014
Greetings,

The meditation technique, described, following the breath, is ancient. It was known, predates, and was practiced by Siddhartha Gautama prior, during, and after his awakening to the level of arhat (full enlightenment
), soon after becoming The Buddha. The technique is called Vipassana (insight) Meditation and is the pillar of Theravada Buddhist practice. This body (lol) has awareness of the above from experience. If you would like an elaboration, just ask. Either on this thread or via private message.

I would now however like taking this opportunity pointing out two facts I believe directly link the above contributing to the dilution of Christianity.

One being ecumenism in the post-modern Church. With another being a concentrated and not too unrelated an effort incorporating gnosticism - mystery school teachings into Christian practices. Educated, dedicated, and concerned Christian theologians are suspicious this is consistent with an effort to concoct a one world religion. Under the heading of many guises. There is more than abundant information available on these topics. I can send links.

If you are seeking advise on weather or not to meditate, however one cares to define it, I humbly refuse to be one to offer it as I am not qualified. There are ways motivations can be revealed and ways to focus etc, and I would be lying to report that Insight Meditation is not one of them. But, to be forthright, Jesus just called.
I hung up the phone on Buddha. There are mentions of meditation and contemplation in Christian practice referenced in commentaries I've read, coinciding with prayer. I do not know how Matthew Henry defines meditation.

You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.
Buddha

Jer. 29:8 Do not let your prophets and your diviners who are in your midst deceive you, nor listen to your dreams which you cause to be dreamed. 9 For they prophesy falsely to you in My name; I have not sent them, says the Lord.

bb

ajdiamond

Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
Of course, bringing attention to the breath is OK. Not only is it OK, it is, for many that have attained or are attaining, the most important spiritual tool that they have. I'm being 100% serious. We're talking about 2 things here: your awareness/attention and breath. These are the two fundamentals of human experience that everyone shares. To be afraid of breath awareness arises out of religious bondage, false doctrine and an ignorance of spiritual things. So, here's some notes on the subject.

1. Both the Hebrew word for spirit (Ruach) and the Greek word for spirit (pneuma) also mean breath. Our breath and Spirit are interrelated in ways that one has to experience to understand.

2.We learn from Paul about being "in the flesh" and "in the spirit". The most effective way to get "in the spirit" is bringing attention to the breath.

3. It is said, the original Aramaic meaning of the first beatitude--blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven--carries the meaning of blessed are those who make their home in the breath... (spirit and breath, interrelated)

4. Most people make their home, the place where attention/awareness is centered, in their carnal minds. This is the default setting we are born with. Centered there, they cannot know the Father or spiritual things. They cannot know Truth. They cannot worship the Father in Spirit and in Truth from the carnal, natural, default mind. Breath awareness is a most effective tool to get out of the carnal mind and to see and understand and know how it works. You cannot think about the carnal mind with the carnal mind and get anywhere.

5. You must see the carnal mind in operation. Then, you can overcome it. Most people see no distinction between awareness and the carnal mind. They think that they are one thing. They are not. By the experience of breath awareness you will realize that you can be aware of thoughts moving through the mind. You will see the distinction between awareness and thought. And when seen and known, then, you can comprehend why Jesus advised to "Take no thought". Reactive thought in the carnal mind is the source of ALL of your suffering. You are deceived by it. Through breath awareness, you can know the Truth that sets you free; rather than believing everything the thoughts say. You are not your thoughts.

6. To be still and know God is to still, calm, and quiet the mind. This is most effectively done through breath awareness. Notice one time when your mind is racing, doing it's perpetual commentary and judgment thing, going blah blah blah--Stop and take some deep breaths. What happened? The mind went still. Do that one time and have that experience. You are aware that the mind went calm. That, my friend, is it's natural state. Now experiment further with breath awareness and realizations will come. Congratulations, you're on The Way.

7. We hear about the mind of Christ? We hear of being centered in the heart? The street that awareness travels from carnal mind to heart is the breath.

8. Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. In other words, Where you focus attention, there will your heart be also. Most focus attention in their natural minds and see through that glass, darkly. Thus, their treasure is their carnal minds and they are blind to spirit. They *believe* stuff about spiritual things and form a morass of doctrines, but know very little. Breath awareness exercises will get you out of that state and into a state where one can hear Spirit. You are either listening to your thoughts all day; or, you have stilled them so that you can actually hear from Spirit.

That's all for now. I could make 100 more points but they would be of none effect unless you are actually doing breath awareness exercises. Satan and/or your carnal mind will fight you on this very hard. Fear not.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
You have to appreciate the question you're asking and who you're asking it of. When you bring up something like meditation, yoga, or martial arts to fundamentalist Christians, of course they're going to answer in the negative; that's what fundamentalists do. You may as well ask an Amish person if it's OK to use electricity or a Muslim if it's OK to eat pork.

I'd suggest you pray about this question and discuss it with your pastor or other leader who's more in line with your beliefs. And naturally in the end, it's your decision.

Reactions: ajdiamond

ajdiamond

Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
River Jordan said:
of course they're going to answer in the negative; that's what fundamentalists do.
Nice post. Actual spiritual things are foolishness to the religionist; neither can he even know that this topic is a(n essential) spiritual thing.
---
To the reader, Watch what happens within you regarding this topic.
Your mind will take the subject "breath awareness exercise" and put it in a mental-classification memory-box (Tai Chi, Buddhism, martial arts, yoga, etc.) that the natural mind has previously judged to be "bad". Thus, you will be unable to hear anything that is being said now. And sadly, this action happens over and over again, daily, hourly. And that's why some have ears to hear and some don't.

Tex

Jun 29, 2014
If you're "experiencing Zen, the universal mind, and body energy", you're doing it wrong. None of those things are Christian, in any sense. If you're doing breathing exercises because it relaxes you, is healthy, etc, you're fine.

Breathing exercises are fine. Pantheism is not.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ajdiamond said:
Nice post. Actual spiritual things are foolishness to the religionist; neither can he even know that this topic is a(n essential) spiritual thing.
---
To the reader, Watch what happens within you regarding this topic.
Your mind will take the subject "breath awareness exercise" and put it in a mental-classification memory-box (Tai Chi, Buddhism, martial arts, yoga, etc.) that the natural mind has previously judged to be "bad". Thus, you will be unable to hear anything that is being said now. And sadly, this action happens over and over again, daily, hourly. And that's why some have ears to hear and some don't.
Not everything spiritual is good. I once heard Dr. Yang Jwing Ming speaking in a seminar at a festival at Master Jou's Tai Chi farm in Warwick, NY. While speaking he identified Adolf Hitler as a very spiritual man, and in the worldly sense of the word he was quite right. There is a spirit which is in the world, which is the spirit of anti-Christ, and which holds sway over the world. That spirit connects people in ways that they are unable to commonly perceive, but that spirit is fallen, corrupted, and under condemnation. I have known or read the works of very "spiritual" men (by such definitions) who wouldn't hesitate to cut a person in two if challenged with the sword, or leave a man's body crumpled on the ground in response to a perceived threat. The spirit of anti-Christ deceives men into believing that they are superior and more significantly that they are alive when in fact they are dead (spiritually) and separated from God. Breathing is not the way to godliness, but Jesus Christ is. It isn't until God has breathed new life into us and renewed our spirits that we can be genuinely spiritual and not "spiritually" deceived.
Your soul is in jeopardy if you really believe what you're saying, but we all stand condemned before God and must receive His grace, given by faith in His Son. Before my salvation I was able to manipulate "chi" outside of my body and make others experience unreal things, just as I had experienced non physical manipulation by others, but now there is a pure Spirit within me that protects me from all of that which is unclean and allows me to discern the unclean spirit in others. I'm quite willing to stand against any because I know that greater is He that is within me than he who is in the world. You have my prayers and I call upon the saints to add their own to them. May the Lord grant you grace to believe Him to the salvation of your soul. Amen.

ajdiamond

Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
Michael V Pardo said:
Not everything spiritual is good. I once heard Dr. Yang Jwing Ming speaking in a seminar at a festival at Master Jou's Tai Chi farm in Warwick, NY. While speaking he identified Adolf Hitler as a very spiritual man, and in the worldly sense of the word he was quite right. There is a spirit which is in the world, which is the spirit of anti-Christ, and which holds sway over the world. That spirit connects people in ways that they are unable to commonly perceive, but that spirit is fallen, corrupted, and under condemnation. I have known or read the works of very "spiritual" men (by such definitions) who wouldn't hesitate to cut a person in two if challenged with the sword, or leave a man's body crumpled on the ground in response to a perceived threat. The spirit of anti-Christ deceives men into believing that they are superior and more significantly that they are alive when in fact they are dead (spiritually) and separated from God. Breathing is not the way to godliness, but Jesus Christ is. It isn't until God has breathed new life into us and renewed our spirits that we can be genuinely spiritual and not "spiritually" deceived.
Thank you so much. Hopefully, most will be able to see what you did here and it's a perfect example of my post which you quote.
(as in, you read my post and your natural mind provided you with ADOLF HITLER! and off you went along that thoughtstream)
(Seriously dude, Hitler? C'mon man) :rolleyes:
---------
To the reader, Watch what happens within.
Your mind will take a subject and classify it (judge it) mentally according to past memory. It's what the carnal mind does all day long.
If the past memory is "bad" the new subject is "bad" by association.
Michael put my post in his mental Hitler box and because Hitler is bad, my post is bad and what is said is bad and then one goes off on an unassociated riff, like your soul is in jeopardy, etc.

Just see it. It's a perfect example. Breath awareness exercises are one tool you can use to free yourself from the above.

PS. As to my sentence, Actual spiritual things are foolishness to the religionist...it alludes to 1 Cor 2:14--But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God (actual spiritual things): for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
ajdiamond said:
Thank you so much. Hopefully, most will be able to see what you did here and it's a perfect example of my post which you quote.
(as in, you read my post and your natural mind provided you with ADOLF HITLER! and off you went along that thoughtstream)
---------
Your mind will take a subject and classify it (judge it) mentally according to past memory. It's what the carnal mind does all day long.
Michael put my post in his mental Hitler box and because Hitler is bad, my post is bad and what is said is bad and then one goes off on an unassociated riff, like your soul is in jeopardy, etc.

Just see it. It's a perfect example. Breath awareness exercises are one tool you can use to free yourself from the above.

PS. As to my sentence, Actual spiritual things are foolishness to the religionist...it alludes to 1 Cor 2:14--But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God (actual spiritual things): for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
Just as you have put his post into the dissenting opinion box. Not all things spiritual are from the Spirit of God, look at the greater context of the chapter.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Not all things spiritual are Godly is a truism. Satan is a spiritual being and so are his henchmen. Don't be fooled by the duplicate.

I have personally been involved with casting out demons from people who have messed around in martial arts which is in the realm of the occult. There are power demons involved that allow the person to grow in supernatural power and abilities beyond what is deemed natural human feats. My friend had got to a point in his martial arts abilities where he could throw people backwards without even being near them. He would just point to them in anger. It became very scary for him because he knew that the source of his supernatural abilities came from something that dwelt within him and not from himself.

We are not talking about a demon or two here but a whole nest of them. When I [through the power and leading of the Holy Spirit] removed the first few demons, I knew that I had to put my trust in God completely because these demonic entities could kill me in an instant but they didn't even try because of the authority I have in Christ "praise God."
After many years, the rest came out as my friend spent time meditating on Gods word, praying and basically immersing himself in Jesus and the victory he won for us on the cross...

The bible indicates that meditation is God centered and has nothing to do with ancient breathing techniques that benefits your own inner enlightenment or your physical body. Biblical characters meditated on his word, the law, his mighty works, his name, his precepts and statutes ...Philippians 4:8 also says;

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

Why do you think God gave believer's the Holy Spirit?...There is no way that people are going to short cut their way using other techniques to duplicate what comes from the Holy Spirit within us. An example of duplication can be found in Exodus 7:11 when Moses went up against Pharaoh and his magicians...but they could not conjure up lice as Moses did in Exodus 8:18-19. If we are believers in Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit dwells in us...why bother going back to Egypt for what God freely gave us by faith in his son???

<end rant>

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ajdiamond said:
---------

No, you're post is bad because its of an arrogant and boastful nature and last time that I looked arrogance wasn't included as a spiritual gift. Not to mention the fact that you cherry pick scripture to support a nonsensical and nonbiblical view about spirituality. I assume that you've classified me and put me in a "religionist" box as you appear to have done with everyone who believes what the scripture says about the adversary and his deceptions. Am I a religionist because I believe the scripture to be the infallible word of God? Or am I a religionist because the Lord opened my eyes to sin and false spirituality (of which I participated in) and gave me faith to believe Him and take Him at His word. Or am I a religionist for seeking out a church that appears to be doctrinally sound and sitting under the teaching of the word of God?
I used breath exercises, practicing Tai Chi standing meditation, the Tai Chi "Chi Kung", the Yang style short version of form popularized by Master Cheng Man Ching, along with other focused exercises and was able to manipulate "chi" inside and outside of my body, but this never made me one iota more godly. On the contrary, it only made me more carnal. In the days that I would attend Tai Chi festivals to sit under the teaching of various Masters of the Art in seminars, I observed that these great "spiritual" masters spent most of their free time scoping out young girls and trying to get them into bed. Real spiritual stuff, right? Open your mind to Christ and stop drinking the cool aid.
Angelina said:
Not all things spiritual are Godly is a truism. Satan is a spiritual being and so are his henchmen. Don't be fooled by the duplicate.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

Why do you think God gave believer's the Holy Spirit?...There is no way that people are going to short cut their way using other techniques to duplicate what comes from the Holy Spirit within us. An example of duplication can be found in Exodus 7:11 when Moses went up against Pharaoh and his magicians...but they could not conjure up lice as Moses did in Exodus 8:18-19. If we are believers in Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit dwells in us...why bother going back to Egypt for what God freely gave us by faith in his son???

<end rant>
Thank you for a sound and biblical opinion. Its quite refreshing.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
ajdiamond said:
---------

You had me listening all the way up to the point you claimed everyone who disagrees with you has a carnal mind. Lost me there, bud.

cjamison

Aug 22, 2014
peter19920,

HIstory has a way of repeating itself...

About 20 years ago in college, I stumbled across meditation as a way to have better grades as well.

If prayer is the means, or way, humans, including Christians, use to connect God outside of our power to normally contemplate or to council with. Meditation is the means a person can use to connect to the sense of God lurking within, your mind and body. Definitely take the interpretations ajdiamond provided as he gives a better explanation of a Biblical stance on the validity of meditation in life as a Christian.

If you are interested in meditation, even as a study aid or a means to sharpen the awareness of your mind, look into finding a meditation teacher that you can visit with. There may be a teacher near your town if you attend college in a smaller city or if you live in a 'college town', there will be a teacher of some sort that you can council with about your meditation. The teacher can help you from forming 'bad habits' such as your body posture and breathing and also mental approaches which may limit your ability to learn about yourself, or 'making friends with yourself' as a Buddhist monk wrote.Plus having a teacher can help you get advice about blocks or pleasurable experiences that might limit your relationship with meditation.

If you are concerned with your meditation instructor 'converting' you, don't be concerned. Your meditation teacher will not force you to do anything or chant anything that does not match your spiritual beliefs and faith.

If you get a sense that your meditation teacher is prompting you to do anything or say anything that you are uncomfortable with, simply politely tell the teacher you aren't comfortable with [chanting, singing, etc] and ask the teacher if he or she will suggest something else.

You could, and I would suggest, telling your teacher that you are in fact Christian and that you are seeking to learn about meditation. Chances are the teacher will appreciate your interest and realize that you have a faith that you already are building.

If you are concerned about experiencing 'occult' imagery or thoughts, it's not likely.

It is true that meditating will allow thoughts that you may normally be unaware of to surface. Some of those thoughts may be of an object of sexual desire or a fear that you may have of an event or a person or a situation. If you do encounter thoughts that are threatening or troubling, remember to keep in mind that 'You are not your thoughts.' or "Those are just thoughts."

Types of mediation such as 'mindfulness meditation' or awareness meditation (which seems to be the type of meditation your book is guiding you to practice.) suggest when your awareness is caught up in emotionally charged thoughts to 'bring your thoughts back to your breath' or in other words, bring you focus to your breath, the rising and falling of your chest as you breathe to 'detach' or separate from the troubling emotions.

Having a thought in your mind does not define your reality outside of the act of experiencing the thought. In the same way that fantasizing about being a millionaire does not actually make you a millionaire, having an intense feeling of fear or desire or calm doesn't mean you are seeking to act out on those desires. In the end, you have the ability to choose healthy, constructive ways of managing your thoughts and emotions, even if you can't determine how or when they enter your mind.

If you have any concerns about intense thoughts coming into your awareness as you meditate, read this article at Shambhala Sun.com, "How to do Mindfulness Meditation" for a guide to handle troubling thoughts as you meditate.

Also, if you are more interested in Mindfulness Meditation, read Jon Kabat Zinn's Mindfulness for Beginners.

The only religious / Biblical advice I would give regarding your faith, whether great and strong or new and curious, is to realize that any exploration into a form of spiritual practice that is new to you will build your awareness of yourself - your understanding of the faith you know and the understanding of aspects of faith that are not right for you either at this stage of your faith.

Awareness of yourself and knowledge about your faith can only be a good thing. You may disagree with some aspects of meditation or Eastern philosophy and that is great and your right. Trust your instincts about yourself and if something said by your instructor doesn't seem right for you or if meditation doesn't work for you than ask someone for an answer for your doubts. Do so in a polite and respectful way, but share your reasons of your disagreement.

Building faith at times means making steps that you are unsure of the outcome. If you can, make steps that you feel are safe or as safe as they can be. If you don't know or aren't sure, council with God. God will have the answer which serves you.

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
I know of a course taught by Ravi Shankar a Hindu guru that teaches breathing exercises, a family member practices and
swears by it.
And it's true the more oxygen in your body the better, it's supposed to heal quicker etc.
So here we have a dilemma, do we practice something that works because God created us that way or do we reject it
because some eastern guru teaches it ?

Take prayer for instance, every religion practices it so do we stop because they do it also ?

No.

Check your heart and mind, why do you do it ?
Do you follow their pattern of doing it ?
Do you clear your mind of thoughts ?
Do you sit or stand in a certain posture they prescribe ?
Do you chant or make sounds like they do ?

If you love Jesus you will STOP any form or imitation of the way others opposed to Christ practice ANYTHING.
If it has it's roots in ANY religion, especially Eastern religion then I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot barge pole as my mother
used to say.

Even simple things like yoga have their origins from the East and if you do some homework you will find out that most everything
they did and do somehow relates to or has it's roots in their religion.