Are snakes evil?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's also this event but this refers to a symbolic snake
Agreed, but I left this event out because I wouldn't exactly consider it a positive image of a snake, our Father can and does (preaching to the choir I know) take the "bad" and make it good. It's not the fiery serpent that does it, it's our Father. Later it would be through his son.Thanks for pointing that out, though.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Poisonous snakes as pets are a risk you should not take its not worth it. The snake is spoke of 43 times in the Bible. The medical symbol the staff with the crossing snakes those snakes came from Greece as they hung around Greek baths and were thought to be a sign of good health. The Ric python is supposedly the largest non poisonous snake in the world at 33 feet though some say the Anaconda holds the record at 44 feet but from what I understand its never been confirmed.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
They are mentioned some 43 times in the Bible. Larger constrictors such as Boas and Pythons are not mean't to be kept as pets by novice snake handlers they just get to large and most out grow anything they are housed in.
And why would anyone want a dangerous snake for a pet???
They should not. Especially venomous ones its too risky. Larger non poisonous ones such as pythons and Boas can also be risky if they are large.
And breeding snakes for a living: that conjures up a nice picture.
Believe it or not some folks make quite a good living off this....
If you wish to own a venomous snake you need a licence. 90% of pythons could not severly harm a human. Only some can grow in exess of 20 feet, some stay at around 4 feet.
I assume your talking about England as far as I know there are no requirements in the US.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Everyone is entitled to their personal preference, but we can't let our preference govern what we claim the Scripture says. The Scripture says nothing about snakes being evil. In the Garden of Eden, the serpent was cursed above all animals for letting itself be used by Satan to bring about the fall of man. Please note, however, the serpent was not the only animal cursed. All the animals were cursed, however, the serpent was cursed more for the role it played. If we are going to say snakes are evil because they were cursed, so is every other animal on planet earth, and humans themselves! Rather absurd.
While snakes were prohibited to be eaten, I find it hard to believe that it was because they were 'evil.' The dietary laws were for the health of the Israelites. The flip side can be applied as well that if snakes were unclean because they were 'evil', are owls, dogs, and all the other unclean animals 'evil'?
In regards to symbology, it is true that satan is referred to as a serpent. He is also referred to as a lion. Do we claim the lion is 'evil' as well? I don't think so. Interestingly, Christians are commanded to be like the snake: wise. Mat_10:16.
As to the possibility of someone getting hurt and that being un-christian, I can't see where that is Scripture based. It is totally absurd to think that people should not be allowed to keep snakes just because someone doesn't like them. The Scriptures mention this about dangerous animals: Exo_21:28 If an ox gore a man or a woman, that they die: then the ox shall be surely stoned, and his flesh shall not be eaten; but the owner of the ox shall be quit. If we read on in that chapter, we find guidelines for what to do with rogue animals. It all hinges on responsibility. In the OT times, if the owner of the ox (which obviously was capable of harming and even killing people) was aware that his ox had hurt people, and he had done nothing about it, then he was responsible for what that animal did and had to pay the penalty. The same applies to snake-keeping. Whoever keeps a snake should be responsible. If they do something irresponsible, such as let a rattlesnake loose into their neighbor's yard or continue to let kids to pet their python when it repeatedly bites people, then they should have to pay the penalty. Things become absurd when we lay down rigid laws such as "You can't keep snakes," and such. We already have enough crazy restrictions. Ultimately, Jesus is the only solution to the mess this world is in, not more laws and regulations.
I have some friends who keep snakes. I personally wouldn't mind to either, if it wasn't for the fact I don't have the money to spend on them! The Bible doesn't mention whether or not to keep them, neither does it condemn or praise them either. If someone wanted to keep a snake, provided that they are sensible and responsible about it, i have absolutely no issue with it. Everyone has different tastes, that's the way God made us. It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things and did the same things.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
They are mentioned some 43 times in the Bible. Larger constrictors such as Boas and Pythons are not mean't to be kept as pets by novice snake handlers they just get to large and most out grow anything they are housed in. And why would anyone want a dangerous snake for a pet???They should not. Especially venomous ones its too risky. Larger non poisonous ones such as pythons and Boas can also be risky if they are large.And breeding snakes for a living: that conjures up a nice picture.Believe it or not some folks make quite a good living off this....If you wish to own a venomous snake you need a licence. 90% of pythons could not severly harm a human. Only some can grow in exess of 20 feet, some stay at around 4 feet.I assume your talking about England as far as I know there are no requirements in the US.

The fact is, some of us do. Just like some of us like Ford cars, and others monster trucks. The fact that it's risky isn't that much of an obstacle. If we really want to look at the risk, there are risks for just about everything. As far as I'm aware, there are alot of people who own snakes, and of those who own snakes, not that high a percentage die. A lot more die in Africa from treading on them in the wild. I play rugby league which is a very physical game. People often go on about the injuries you get. They reckon soccer is safer. I think that soccer is just as dangerous. In the end, risk levels change for everyone. Not only does it vary with what you do, but how good you are at it. I would be a very high risk factor if I tried catching a poisonous snake, but not as high as someone who has never caught one (yes, I have caught a snake. It was a baby red belly). A professional would have an even lower risk rate. While I will probably never keep snakes, and they are a little creepy, I think that snakes are incredible creatures with an important role of vermin control. Not only that, but snakes are astounding proof of the Bible's truth. The curse on the snake: on thy belly shalt thou go and dust shalt thou eat (that was paraphrased) is scientifically true. Read about how this happens at http://reptilis.net/smell.html

Thursday

Jul 21, 2011
Virginia
Supposedly snakes are the most reviled of all creatures. People will pull over for the soul purpose of killing a snake.

As for me, any species that, by and large, has less than two legs or more than four can stay away from me.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God tells us to be as wise as serpents and as harmless as doves matt 10:16. nothing in and of itself is evil. it is what is done with it that determines. the actions and choices and ect.. are what we need to look at and not judge the person be it animal, man or whatever.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Magnum

25 years ago when I was a new christian I was somewhat shocked when visiting the hospital. The "medical emblem" they use is a snake wrapped around a staff and I immediately thought it had evil connotations.

I did a bit of research back then and as a "good and biblical symbol" it was derived from the following passage:

Then the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people, so that many people of Israel died. And the people came to Moses and said, "We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD and against you. Pray to the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us." So Moses prayed for the people. And the LORD said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent and set it on a pole, and everyone who is bitten, when he sees it, shall live." Moses made a bronze serpent and set it on a pole. And if a serpent bit anyone, he would look at the bronze serpent and live.

That satisfied me at the time , and partly disarmed my thoughts of snakes representing only evil or Satan. But we must still accept that the snake does play an important part in some satanic circles. I would not want the association.

As far as owning a snake as a pet , I fail to see any joy in that , but that's just me. Best wishes.

note We should also observe that the bible passage says "fiery serpent" which may not be a snake at all.