Are you a hypocrite?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Hypocrisy
Hypocrisy is the claim or pretense of holding beliefs, feelings, standards, qualities, opinions, behaviors, virtues, motivations, or other characteristics that one does not actually hold.

Do you denounce gay marriage but hold your tongue when others remarry without being a widow(er)?

Do you slam people that spread lies but then tell people a lie to not hurt their feelings, even loved ones?

Do you despise immigration even though you're a product of immigration?

If so, then you might be a hypocrite.

Reactions: Born_Again

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
pom2014 said:
Do you slam people that spread lies but then tell people a lie to not hurt their feelings, even loved ones?
The other examples were blurry. But this one shows that you are not considering the difference between mortal and venial sins.

Saying my wife is thin when she is fat > a lie that gets a work colleague fired.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
We are ALL hypocrites to a certain degree POM. ALL have sinned and have fallen short.

As to you examples, I think you should take them one at a time and deal with them. You may be surprised at all the blow back you get.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Ah the old human trait of bell curved sin.

The thief says at least I'm not an arsonist.
The arsonist says at least I'm not a rapist.
The rapist says at least I'm not a murderer.

God just says you're all sinners.

Mortal venial, just wiggle room for justifying sin.

Reactions: Born_Again

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
pom2014 said:

I have no beef with your examples and there is some truth to your post. But I can't ignore how your examples are all mortal sins. Does this sound right to you?

The paedophile says... at least I don't tell white lies
The murderer says... at least I don't think immoral thoughts
The rapist says.... at least I don't cross dress

God does hate all sin. No sin is in His presence amen! We agree. But can we look further?

Would you agree that all those in Hades and Abraham bosom OT had sin? What separated them if not a hatred for sin that lead to sincere repentance? A hatred that resulted in David STOP killing, stop committing adultery.... but not entirely able to stop all sin...correct?

According to Paul in 1 Cor 6:9-13 'Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers' we notice that he does not mention those that simply thought about fornication, idolatry and adultery.

Did God destroy Sodom for immoral thoughts? Not giving candy to kids? Giving too much candy to kids? Venial sinners upset God such that He would rather see them swimming in acid over continuing in them Gen 19:24?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
pom2014 said:
I agree....we assign degrees to sin and as you have shown, so does the RCC. God doesn't.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Hypocrisy is just saying one thing while doing another (the opposite).. I imagine we have all been hypocrites at one time or another.. I profess to be a Christian but I have broken a commandment, so does that make me a hypocrite? Jesus often referred to the Pharisees as hypocrites because they intentionally misconstrued the law to suit themselves. Perhaps a hypocrite isn't one who breaks the law, but a person who denies they are violating the law. Sinning doesn't make you a hypocrite, its justifying yourself when breaking laws while simultaneously condemning others for doing likewise that makes a person a hypocrite: e.g. I stole a loaf of bread but I'm not a thief, I was just hungry.

So falling short (sinning) doesn't make you a hypocrite per se, but justifying or exempting yourself for transgressing the laws that you claim to live by would seem to more accurately define what hypocrisy is ... jmo.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
StanJ said:
I agree....we assign degrees to sin and as you have shown, so does the RCC. God doesn't.
I know we have discussed this before, I don't want to argue but rather better understand your position. You say 'God doesn't'.

God did not inspire the OT law? God did not give us brains to discern? God did not say He will repay each according to what they have done? Rom 2:6, Rev 22:12, Matt 16:27, Psalm 62:12.

Have you got any evidence for God 'not' ranking sin other then Mary about to be stoned (He saw her heart, Jesus did not save Judas in like fashion) and Matt 5:28 (as Jesus says qualifies His statement four verses down in Matt 5:32)?

I want to propose to you that the belief of all sin = sin is supported / convulated to tie in with our enemies all deserving the same lake of fire and hatred for our enemy justifying them being there for eternity. It forces us to be 'sick' and propogate a God that is likewise 'sick'.

God does what pleases Him. He is pleased to punish the wicked for their wickedness. But since He loves the wicked, He will literally only punish them according to what they have done (best case scenario). God does not want to give a thief the same punishment as a murderer.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
KingJ said:
I know we have discussed this before, I don't want to argue but rather better understand your position. You say 'God doesn't'.

God did not inspire the OT law? God did not give us brains to discern? God did not say He will repay each according to what they have done? Rom 2:6, Rev 22:12, Matt 16:27, Psalm 62:12.

Have you got any evidence for God 'not' ranking sin other then Mary about to be stoned (He saw her heart, Jesus did not save Judas in like fashion) and Matt 5:28 (as Jesus says qualifies His statement four verses down in Matt 5:32)?

I want to propose to you that the belief of all sin = sin is supported / convulated to tie in with our enemies all deserving the same lake of fire and hatred for our enemy justifying them being there for eternity. It forces us to be 'sick' and propogate a God that is likewise 'sick'.

God does what pleases Him. He is pleased to punish the wicked for their wickedness. But since He loves the wicked, He will literally only punish them according to what they have done (best case scenario). God does not want to give a thief the same punishment as a murderer.
The OT/OC was required because MAN could not walk with God and asked for the laws to be clarified. Sin is indeed itemized in the Bible, but not graded. Man does that. The whole reason we have Jesus as our savior is because God knew it was the only way to provide us with righteousness. Jesus himself classified sins into two categories. The first is forgivable sin, and the second is unforgivable sin. The latter category only has one sin in it.
The epistles of John are pretty clear as to sin and how we are forgiven. There are no degrees of hell or the lake of fire. It is separation from God for eternity. Torment is NOT physical, it is spiritual. I don't know what is is like but as it is separation from God knowing that the person had a choice to not be, that is the eternal inescapable torment.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
All sinners that do not repent and do not repeat that sin, no matter WHAT that sin is will be destroyed in the second death.

And the most important thing is to do it NO MORE.

You can't be forgiven for sin if you turn right around and do it again.

That was the hypocrisy of the old way. They'd sacrifice then go and do it and again and again.

That behavior is NOT acceptable.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, pom, I was with ya up until that lasy post. Jsmes, Paul and Jesus all in their own way ststed that if you are guilty of one of the least sins, you are guilty of all of them.

Little white lies, large black lies, murdet or simply wearing polyester. All sins. True, I'd rather live next to someone who says I don't have a thing to wear thsn a murderer. No doubt.

My question to you is do you have the knowledge or the time to repent of all 650 (or so...) ccomnandments? Jesus said if you so much think of it, you are guilty.

Romsns 5 states the law entered so the offence might abound. But where sin abounds, grace does much more abound.

I'm not excusing sin nor saying its ok. But grace dies cover all sins. If you go stary telling people they have to stop sinning, well... whose really the hypocrite?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
pom2014 said:
All sinners that do not repent and do not repeat that sin, no matter WHAT that sin is will be destroyed in the second death.

And the most important thing is to do it NO MORE.

You can't be forgiven for sin if you turn right around and do it again.

That was the hypocrisy of the old way. They'd sacrifice then go and do it and again and again.

That behavior is NOT acceptable.
This is not what John teaches in his epistles POM.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
So when the King repeated many times in the gospels go and sin no more he was only kidding?

That its ok to sin and do that sin again? That its ok to make the same error over and over and you're ok?

That we can continue to create debt and the King will keep covering it up and there is no blowback? Unlimited sin?

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
StanJ said:
The OT/OC was required because MAN could not walk with God and asked for the laws to be clarified. Sin is indeed itemized in the Bible, but not graded. Man does that. The whole reason we have Jesus as our savior is because God knew it was the only way to provide us with righteousness. Jesus himself classified sins into two categories. The first is forgivable sin, and the second is unforgivable sin. The latter category only has one sin in it.
The epistles of John are pretty clear as to sin and how we are forgiven. There are no degrees of hell or the lake of fire. It is separation from God for eternity. Torment is NOT physical, it is spiritual. I don't know what is is like but as it is separation from God knowing that the person had a choice to not be, that is the eternal inescapable torment.
Mortal sins do not point to being further lost? Shipwrecking salvation? I would expect all Arminians to agree with mortal and venial sins.

I wouldn't say sins were itemized OT, rather ranked. It was the severity of the sins that brought God's destruction upon people / caused God to give up all hope. Just think about the golden calf in Ex 32.

I can agree that there will not be degrees of fire in hell. A murderer fully grasping what he did would be punishment enough. As scripture says 'the fire of their torment'.

Yes, the unforgiveable sin is rejecting Jesus. But...rejecting Jesus would only be done by someone who loves evil John 3:19. We know someone loves evil when they give no resistance to what is evil. A mortal sinner is capable of many evils. A venial sinner not. Mortal sinner points clearer to loving evil / being closer to being beyond hope / sin being full measure.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
pom2014 said:
So when the King repeated many times in the gospels go and sin no more he was only kidding?

That its ok to sin and do that sin again? That its ok to make the same error over and over and you're ok?

That we can continue to create debt and the King will keep covering it up and there is no blowback? Unlimited sin?
Are you trying to reason your way OUT of what Jesus and John stated? That would be thin ice you find yourself on, to use YOUR reasoning against what God's Word states.
KingJ said:
Mortal sins do not point to being further lost? Shipwrecking salvation? I would expect all Arminians to agree with mortal and venial sins.

I wouldn't say sins were itemized OT, rather ranked. It was the severity of the sins that brought God's destruction upon people / caused God to give up all hope. Just think about the golden calf in Ex 32.

I can agree that there will not be degrees of fire in hell. A murderer fully grasping what he did would be punishment enough. As scripture says 'the fire of their torment'.

Yes, the unforgiveable sin is rejecting Jesus. But...rejecting Jesus would only be done by someone who loves evil John 3:19. We know someone loves evil when they give no resistance to what is evil. A mortal sinner is capable of many evils. A venial sinner not. Mortal sinner points clearer to loving evil / being closer to being beyond hope / sin being full measure.
Again you are on the same thin ice as POM. God's word is clear on this subject and your reasoning does not negate it.

No, they are itemized, NOT ranked...that is the point.

No, the unforgivable sin is the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, NOT rejecting Christ. Matt 12:31-32

Again mortal and venial sins are a concept of the RCC, not a reality in God's eyes. There is NO degree.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
pom2014 said:

I like to think of it as grace much morr abounding above whatever sins abound.

I know its hard to fathom, but yes, grace covers all sins of the flesh. There are some things you have to do, but watching what you do in the flesh isn't one of them.

If you want to keep as much of the law as possible, do so. I'm the same way. I'm not out to try to sin on purpose, but I'm not worrying about it either.

But if you do, don't think it makes you righteous in God's eyes. He's looking at your faith and spirit, not your flesh.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
StanJ said:
1. Again you are on the same thin ice as POM. God's word is clear on this subject and your reasoning does not negate it.

2. No, they are itemized, NOT ranked...that is the point.

3. No, the unforgivable sin is the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, NOT rejecting Christ. Matt 12:31-32

4. Again mortal and venial sins are a concept of the RCC, not a reality in God's eyes. There is NO degree.
1. God's word is clear that no sin is in His presence. It is also clear that out of His presence / having sin is not automitically = hell. It is then crystal clear OT what upset God such that He ordained many be killed for the specific sin.
2. Itemized would result in all getting the same punishment. This was never the case OT nor NT. Paul did not write an entire chapter of rebuke for those who tell white lies as he did for sexual immorality in 1 Cor 5.
3. What is blashpemy of the Holy Spirit if not rejecting Jesus? The Holy Spirit is here with one purpose.
4. Stan just be realistic now. If you just raped someone. What would be the first thing you felt the need to repent of when you decide to get on your knees? The rape or the white lie you told?

We rank sin. God ranks levels of inner rebellion. We cannot do that. All we can do is parallel levels of rebellion / depths of hatred to the sin comitted. 'We know them by their works'.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
KingJ said:
1. God's word is clear that no sin is in His presence. It is also clear that out of His presence / having sin is not automitically = hell. It is then crystal clear OT what upset God such that He ordained many be killed for the specific sin.
2. Itemized would result in all getting the same punishment. This was never the case OT nor NT. Paul did not write an entire chapter of rebuke for those who tell white lies as he did for sexual immorality in 1 Cor 5.
3. What is blashpemy of the Holy Spirit if not rejecting Jesus? The Holy Spirit is here with one purpose.
4. Stan just be realistic now. If you just raped someone. What would be the first thing you felt the need to repent of when you decide to get on your knees? The rape or the white lie you told?

We rank sin. God ranks levels of inner rebellion. We cannot do that. All we can do is parallel levels of rebellion / depths of hatred to the sin comitted. 'We know them by their works'.
  1. Well that reasoning is flawed KJ. We are under the NC and I'm not talking about sin being in God's presence or whatever you are alluding to. You keep referring to the OT as if it is relevant under the NC.
  2. The case in 1 Cor 5 was about accepting obvious sinful lifestyle IN the church. White lies are not obvious and in your comparison not obvious or blatant sin. Of course Paul would deal with sin that is very evident and obvious.
  3. It is assigning works of the Holy Spirit to the devil knowing better. If you're going to make a statement, support it with scripture that is consistent. There is a very obvious difference that Jesus made between Himself and the Holy Spirit based on what the Pharisees said in Mark 3 and Luke 22. John also teaches this in 1 John 5.
  4. Well I would never rape any woman, so I guess the white lie would be heavy on my heart. Again you are using your own personal feeling to interpret God's word and intent.

As only God knows the heart, YOU can't do ANY of that, which is why we are instructed to let God be the judge of unbelievers. Apparently you missed that in 1 Cor 5?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
A distinction is made for willful sins.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lforrest said:
A distinction is made for willful sins.
Not sure where that is. Heb 10:26 is referring to forsaking the assemling of ourselves.