Are you an Apostate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can this please be moved to bible study?

646. apostasia

Strong's Concordance
apostasia: defection, revolt
Original Word: ἀποστασία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: apostasia
Phonetic Spelling: (ap-os-tas-ee'-ah)
Definition: defection, revolt
Usage: defection, apostasy, revolt.

HELPS Word-studies
646 apostasía (from 868 /aphístēmi, "leave, depart," which is derived from 575 /apó, "away from" and 2476 /histémi, "stand") – properly, departure (implying desertion); apostasy – literally, "a leaving, from a previous standing."

Have you left completely your faith? Have you completely left your belief on the Lord Jesus Christ?

Would that make you an Apostate? Did you know that this was what Apostate meant?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HELPS Word-studies
646 apostasía (from 868 /aphístēmi, "leave, depart," which is derived from 575 /apó, "away from" and 2476 /histémi, "stand") – properly, departure (implying desertion); apostasy – literally, "a leaving, from a previous standing."

Have you left completely your faith? Have you completely left your belief on the Lord Jesus Christ?
I think the most interesting thing about this concept is that you can be apostate and still be attending church regularly, and believing that you are still right with God.

If you succumb to false teachings, you are apostate.

I believe this is what is actually meant by the Falling Away. Many believe this means those who actually leave church altogether, but there are actually a majority of Christians within the modern churches today who have fully fallen away from the Truth of God's Word.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

646. apostasia

Strong's Concordance

HELPS Word-studies

Would that make you an Apostate? Did you know that this was what Apostate meant?
If I’ve left orthodox religious groups would that make me an apostate?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the most interesting thing about this concept is that you can be apostate and still be attending church regularly, and believing that you are still right with God.

If you succumb to false teachings, you are apostate.

I believe this is what is actually meant by the Falling Away. Many believe this means those who actually leave church altogether, but there are actually a majority of Christians within the modern churches today who have fully fallen away from the Truth of God's Word.

Hello Gen2Rev

Most interesting thing about this concept is that you can be apostate and still be attending church regularly ~ Okay so there is something about the concept of an apostate: Which is you can be someone who says ~ I am a Christian but now no longer a Christian and have declare my Apostacy of this foundation.

Yet even though they have done this renouncing God, and Jesus Christ leaving the faith because they have decided that believing in God, and Jesus Christ is no longer good enough and they believed that they have found something much better to follow now in their life.

They will still be attending church regularly, and believing they are still right with God.

Or maybe they are renouncing teachings once held on to but now they are leaving because they changed their mind about something they had found in scripture, or that they believe the interpreter is wrong and found inspiration from the holy spirit which God helped them understand the scripture more? Or is more about renouncing ~ Christ Jesus as your Lord and Saviour ~ That God is no longer good enough, do not look towards Jesus the Son of God that is more troublesome?

So you believe it is more to do with falling away ~ And people who actually end up leaving the material church all together, but there are also people who have fallen away from the truth of Gods word, and they need to be encouraged and reassured of the Gospel of Christ and the truth about Jesus Christ for the He is the way, the truth, and the life, that we agree on.

Thank your post, and sorry if you do not understand it; tried my best hope you will understand if not please keep what is good, and throw away what is bad. ~~ Matthew.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I’ve left orthodox religious groups would that make me an apostate?

Waiting on Him, would say no. My question is did you renounce your faith and trust in God and the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You might be confusing Apostasy with Renouncement.

To simplify:

An apostate person is one who claims to be a True Christian (and likely believes they are), but does not believe the teachings of The Bible.

An apostate church is a church that claims to be a Christian church, but their teachings do not align with The Bible.

Renouncement is a conscious decision, and possibly outward statement, to no longer believe in something.

They do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. Apostasy can exist without renouncement.

Reactions: MatthewG

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a Trinitarian Apostate.

If you believe that those who believe in the Trinity are Apostate, because they believe in a doctrine that doesn't exist in scripture, then you have renounced your belief in the Trinity.

So I would say you are no longer Apostate.

God bless you. Neither am I.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a Trinitarian Apostate.

Have had a fair share run ins with talks, and conversation with other people online about the trinity. Use to be all for it, and also was a futurist, though am not anymore. Use to believe what people told me what was true, and it comes out when you go and you look and read the bible you will not see anything about the trinity. It was a subject that came up from a long time ago, and people who did not agree with this were ostracized, and also mocked, and also considered not to be Christians, because of not accepting the man-made term Trinity.

Though for me personally do not have a problem with a man or woman who believes in the trinity, and they believe those things, that is all well and good, and I would never call them not Christians, even though they believe differently than me because of the differences in doctrine because the point of the Christian Faith is to have Love. Love for God, and Love for Others, and if a persons doctrine of whatever they believe in the bible causes a person to be mean and to cut off someone off because maybe they do not believe the other person sees it ~ To me that is wrong, and not showing love to your neighbour.

Reactions: Wrangler

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

646. apostasia

Strong's Concordance

HELPS Word-studies

I have been labeled an apostate by those of my own faith Matt, even Jesus was although they didn't call it that. Many times it is the accusers that have actually rebelled against the faith.

You know it is interesting that you mention that, many people don't think about it but Jesus foretold there would be many false christs would arise Mat 24, speaking about some in Mat 7:21-23. Before the end of the apostles lives the period of apostasy was well known, and in fact was getting underway as penned by John in his referral to all the antichrists that had came on the scene.