Are you willing to move forward?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ahigherway

Jun 17, 2010
The Israelites were commanded to move through the wilderness before reaching the Promised Land. Each day they had to keep moving. Forward. Forward. The bread of yesterday was no longer good today. They had to have fresh manna coming from Moses.

Are we moving on in Christ? Or are we feeding on yesterday's old manna?

Let me give you an example.

The fresh manna in Moses' day was "an eye for an eye." Retribution.

When Jesus came, He brought fresh bread with Him: "Love your enemies."

But this fresh manna was rejected by those who wanted to stick with the old manna.

Jesus was giving the world fresh manna to eat; what He heard from the Father was fresh daily, and was not found in the Old Testament's old manna. The people had to move on, had to be ready to hear new things, had to learn to discern the new from the old.

The people who were best able to discern this new manna were those who were hungering for it: the prostitutes, the poor, the outcasts, the "unclean." They were the ones who were not satisfied with the old manna that was being offered to them by the Pharisees. They wanted more. And Jesus gave it to them.

But envious religious spirits wouldn't have Him giving people new manna. They said that He was a deceiver and a sinner. What He said didn't line up with their old manna, and so they persecuted Him and nailed Him to a cross of wood. They (the religious) rejected the new manna from heaven. They refused to move on, to hear what God was doing "today." They wanted their old manna, which was quickly growing stale and moldy.

Likewise, the same is true for us all today.

The manna of the Spirit of God is not to be found in the Scriptures, although the scriptures can help us to some degree.

But the true question to the Christian today, is whether or not he/she is able to hear the Spirit speaking within his/her own heart, and to trust that Voice. It is not enough to say, "I believe the Bible." The Bible is the old manna, which is not fresh enough to satisfy our souls today.

Scriptures can be used to defend any doctrine, creed or denomination. But the manna from heaven, the Spirit of God within us, is the only True Manna that God is asking us to seek.

Just as Jesus was persecuted by the religious for eating "fresh manna from the Father," rather than eating the old manna of the Law which was in the process of fading away; so today, we risk feeding off the old manna of what is written on pages, rather than what is written in our hearts.

What is written in our hearts is the TRUE manna; it is the Holiest part of what God is giving us, and it is the hardest part to focus on.

Focusing on the Bible is easy. But it is not the fresh manna that we need TODAY. The manna which we REALLY need, is in our hearts, TODAY, and EVERY DAY, NEW like the air we breathe.

We cannot live on stale air.

So too, we cannot live on stale words of scripture. We must live on the Breath of God alone, within us.

Are you eating fresh manna today, or stale manna of yesterday?

Blessings to all in Jesus' name,
brian

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fantastic post!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
The manna of the Spirit of God is not to be found in the Scriptures, although the scriptures can help us to some degree.

But the true question to the Christian today, is whether or not he/she is able to hear the Spirit speaking within his/her own heart, and to trust that Voice. It is not enough to say, "I believe the Bible." The Bible is the old manna, which is not fresh enough to satisfy our souls today.

While I appreciate where you are coming from and understand the gist, you really want to identify the bible with "old manna"? That's the standard and even by the Spirit nothing is new that is not already in the bible as it is both "old" and "new". Otherwise, any nut can come along and make extra-biblical spiritual claims and lead others astray. There has to be boundaries and definitions. As a matter of fact, that is the central idea of many cults is to twist or add to the bible.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While I appreciate where you are coming from and understand the gist, you really want to identify the bible with "old manna"? That's the standard and even by the Spirit nothing is new that is not already in the bible as it is both "old" and "new". Otherwise, any nut can come along and make extra-biblical spiritual claims and lead others astray. There has to be boundaries and definitions. As a matter of fact, that is the central idea of many cults is to twist or add to the bible.

I agree. God's Word will last forever.

ahigherway

Jun 17, 2010

Jesus was eating fresh manna from the Father daily. The Pharisees were eating the stale manna, and when Jesus spoke, they couldn't hear Him. In fact, they called Him a deceiver and beelzebub!

Peter saw a vision of a sheet with all animals, and the voice "rise, kill and eat!" Peter later learned from the Father the meaning of this vision: that he shouldn't call any man "unclean."
If Peter was feeding on old manna of scripture, he never would have been able to believe God. But because he hungered for the Spirit, he was able to hear greater things than what were given in scripture.

We must learn to heed the Spirit. We know if it is of God by the fruit it is producing.

And the condition Christendom is in today, it would appear high time we start listening to Him rather than the word of old.

Paul was not afraid of being led astray.. and he had visions of the third heaven!

But if we don't believe God has NEW things to say TODAY, how will we ever grow?

Blessings,
brian

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was eating fresh manna from the Father daily. The Pharisees were eating the stale manna, and when Jesus spoke, they couldn't hear Him. In fact, they called Him a deceiver and beelzebub!

Peter saw a vision of a sheet with all animals, and the voice "rise, kill and eat!" Peter later learned from the Father the meaning of this vision: that he shouldn't call any man "unclean."
If Peter was feeding on old manna of scripture, he never would have been able to believe God. But because he hungered for the Spirit, he was able to hear greater things than what were given in scripture.

We must learn to heed the Spirit. We know if it is of God by the fruit it is producing.

And the condition Christendom is in today, it would appear high time we start listening to Him rather than the word of old.

Paul was not afraid of being led astray.. and he had visions of the third heaven!

But if we don't believe God has NEW things to say TODAY, how will we ever grow?

Blessings,
brian

I understand your point about growing - I have made a similar point about the positive affects of the Kingdom of God in the hearts of Christians on the world over the past 2000+ years - your point about positive change is what I really liked about your point. However, Tim makes an excellent point - Jesus came to fulfill the Law, not replace it like yesterday's manna. Jesus used the OT to illustrate His teachings all the time and He taught in the Temple. The Law has not passed away - it has been reframed and refocused as love rather than condemnation.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
That old system of law etched in stone led to death, yet it began with such glory that the people of Israel could not bear to look at Moses' face. For his face shone with the glory of God, even though the brightness was already fading away. Shouldn't we expect far greater glory when the Holy Spirit is giving life? If the old covenant, which brings condemnation, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new covenant, which makes us right with God!
In fact, that first glory was not glorious at all compared with the overwhelming glory of the new covenant. So if the old covenant, which has been set aside, was full of glory, then the new covenant, which remains forever, has far greater glory. 2Cor.3:7-11

Yes, even today when they read Moses' writings, their hearts are covered with that veil, and they do not understand. But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, then the veil is taken away. Now, the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, he gives freedom. And all of us have had that veil removed so that we can be mirrors that brightly reflect [fn] the glory of the Lord. And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like him and reflect his glory even more. 2Cor.3:15-18

According to Paul the law (including the ten commandments) has been set aside. Thus Paul's instruction, "And do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he is the one who has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption."

Excellent OP Ahigherway
smile.gif

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia

Scriptures can be used to defend any doctrine, creed or denomination. But the manna from heaven, the Spirit of God within us, is the only True Manna that God is asking us to seek.

Hey Brian. I agree that Christians should actively search, welcome and live by the Holy Spirit, but please be cautious. The Bible is there so that we may "test the spirits". Not all spirits are from God, and sadly many, many Christians have been led astray by listening to voices/spirits they thought was of God, but was of the enemy.

We can know if that wonderful still voice in our hearts is the Holy Spirit, because everything He says, urges us to do and feel, should correspond exactly with Scripture! In this way scripture is not old manna, but the very road map to the narrow road we travel!! We musn't dismiss either one, but by using both of them grow and move forward towards Jesus!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Brian. I agree that Christians should actively search, welcome and live by the Holy Spirit, but please be cautious. The Bible is there so that we may "test the spirits". Not all spirits are from God, and sadly many, many Christians have been led astray by listening to voices/spirits they thought was of God, but was of the enemy.

We can know if that wonderful still voice in our hearts is the Holy Spirit, because everything He says, urges us to do and feel, should correspond exactly with Scripture! In this way scripture is not old manna, but the very road map to the narrow road we travel!! We musn't dismiss either one, but by using both of them grow and move forward towards Jesus!

You stated this so well, Rach - I totally agree!

ahigherway

Jun 17, 2010

Hi Rach,
Indeed we must test the spirits. (1 John 4)
In fact, when I look at modern American evangelical groups, I wonder how much testing is really going on! I see "Spirit-filled" evangelicals preaching hate and aggression towards certain groups, and I can't help but conclude that they are not walking in the Spirit at all, and neither are those that follow them.

I guess it boils down to this: can we trust God to speak to us? Can we trust Him? Do we really believe that He is ALIVE, and that He can lead us daily?

Jesus spoke what the Father gave Him. It was New Manna, and the scribes and pharisees couldn't handle it, because they were used to stale manna. The idea that God could give "new commandments" was unheard of. "Why ever would God give new commands?"

But God does. Jesus' message was new, and He was killed for it. They called Him a sinner, a deceiver of the people, a Beelzebub.

Now, 2,000 years later, hindsight is always 20/20. It's easy for people to say, "I follow Jesus!" and "I believe in the WHOLE BIBLE!" -But if we are living in the Spirit, we will be hearing and saying NEW things, and those who are blinded by their Bibles will persecute them.

Believing in the Bible is not what is necessary. That doesn't require anything. --Knowing and listening to the Spirit of God is what is required. THAT is the Fresh Manna for today. Aisi...

Blessings,
brian

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Rach,
In fact, when I look at modern American evangelical groups, I wonder how much testing is really going on! I see "Spirit-filled" evangelicals preaching hate and aggression towards certain groups, and I can't help but conclude that they are not walking in the Spirit at all, and neither are those that follow them.

I guess it boils down to this: can we trust God to speak to us? Can we trust Him? Do we really believe that He is ALIVE, and that He can lead us daily?

Jesus spoke what the Father gave Him. It was New Manna, and the scribes and pharisees couldn't handle it, because they were used to stale manna. The idea that God could give "new commandments" was unheard of. "Why ever would God give new commands?"

But God does. Jesus' message was new, and He was killed for it. They called Him a sinner, a deceiver of the people, a Beelzebub.

Now, 2,000 years later, hindsight is always 20/20. It's easy for people to say, "I follow Jesus!" and "I believe in the WHOLE BIBLE!" -But if we are living in the Spirit, we will be hearing and saying NEW things, and those who are blinded by their Bibles will persecute them.

Believing in the Bible is not what is necessary. That doesn't require anything. --Knowing and listening to the Spirit of God is what is required. THAT is the Fresh Manna for today. Aisi...

Blessings,
brian

Actually, there was nothing new about it - He was trying to let the Pharisees in on a secret - they had spent the last few hundred years misinterpreting the Law. It was meant to convict and teach love for God and neighbor, They missed the love part

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Hi Rach,

Can we trust God to speak to us, lead us? To really trust Him? Of course!

You may be able to convice me that a lot of the OT is "old manna"...to be studied and learned from in a historical way....but I'm sorry, theres no way that the NT, what Jesus came to teach us, is "old manna". Jesus died so we could be free of the old covenant, but that doesn't mean we are completely free agents. The NT is full of spirit led advice for us. The reason this scripture is so important is that it's written by the eyewitnesses of Jesus....again and again the apostles tell us this...that they saw Jesus, heard His teachings from His very lips. This then makes the NT critical to our current understands of what God asks of us.
Can we trust God? Absolutely, but we cannot trust satan, and we must not make the assumption that it is always and only the Holy Spirit talking to us. In fact the closer we are to God the more likely the evil one will try and tear us away from Him. So yes, we test the Spirits, and we do this by checking what we are "told" against Scripture...which we know is from God.

I'm also wary of "new things". I most certainly believe that God leads us now, personally and as a Church body. But as for anything 'new' that you would categorize in a scriptual light....please be careful! I truly believe that God has given us the Bible as His revelation to us...it is complete in itself, it has all we need to know God and of His salvation plan for us. Please be cautious of anyone claiming to have 'new words' from God...test them by the scriptures very carefully!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Israelites were commanded to move through the wilderness before reaching the Promised Land. Each day they had to keep moving. Forward. Forward. The bread of yesterday was no longer good today. They had to have fresh manna coming from Moses.

Are we moving on in Christ? Or are we feeding on yesterday's old manna?

Let me give you an example.

The fresh manna in Moses' day was "an eye for an eye." Retribution.

When Jesus came, He brought fresh bread with Him: "Love your enemies."

But this fresh manna was rejected by those who wanted to stick with the old manna.

Jesus was giving the world fresh manna to eat; what He heard from the Father was fresh daily, and was not found in the Old Testament's old manna. The people had to move on, had to be ready to hear new things, had to learn to discern the new from the old.

The people who were best able to discern this new manna were those who were hungering for it: the prostitutes, the poor, the outcasts, the "unclean." They were the ones who were not satisfied with the old manna that was being offered to them by the Pharisees. They wanted more. And Jesus gave it to them.

But envious religious spirits wouldn't have Him giving people new manna. They said that He was a deceiver and a sinner. What He said didn't line up with their old manna, and so they persecuted Him and nailed Him to a cross of wood. They (the religious) rejected the new manna from heaven. They refused to move on, to hear what God was doing "today." They wanted their old manna, which was quickly growing stale and moldy.

Likewise, the same is true for us all today.

Just as Jesus was persecuted by the religious for eating "fresh manna from the Father," rather than eating the old manna of the Law which was in the process of fading away; so today, we risk feeding off the old manna of what is written on pages, rather than what is written in our hearts.

What is written in our hearts is the TRUE manna; it is the Holiest part of what God is giving us, and it is the hardest part to focus on.

Focusing on the Bible is easy. But it is not the fresh manna that we need TODAY. The manna which we REALLY need, is in our hearts, TODAY, and EVERY DAY, NEW like the air we breathe.

We cannot live on stale air.

So too, we cannot live on stale words of scripture. We must live on the Breath of God alone, within us.

Are you eating fresh manna today, or stale manna of yesterday?

Blessings to all in Jesus' name,
brian

I tried living on the new manna without the scripture. That led me to spiritual warfare, on the receiving end, with no ammunition. Without the word to arm yourself against the enemy it is an uphill battle. Yes God can led us but even Jesus used the word to combat Satan. It is for us to be well versed in the word. Through that then God can clear our hearts of ourselves in order to be able to hear him without interference from Satan and his followers. Believe me I had all the best intentions and wished for God alone to lead me, but the Satan is powerful and uses lies well. Without the scriptures I would have been lost. Besides isn't Jesus know as being the word? If we do away with the word what do we have?

ahigherway

Jun 17, 2010
I tried living on the new manna without the scripture. That led me to spiritual warfare, on the receiving end, with no ammunition. Without the word to arm yourself against the enemy it is an uphill battle. Yes God can led us but even Jesus used the word to combat Satan. It is for us to be well versed in the word. Through that then God can clear our hearts of ourselves in order to be able to hear him without interference from Satan and his followers. Believe me I had all the best intentions and wished for God alone to lead me, but the Satan is powerful and uses lies well. Without the scriptures I would have been lost. Besides isn't Jesus know as being the word? If we do away with the word what do we have?

The early church didn't have the NT, and they were raising the dead, healing the sick, and having "all things common."

There is the Jesus of Nazareth, and the Jesus of Pentecost. You and I are His Body now, and if He is dwelling within us, we need not fear going astray, because He is Alive and able to lead us.

Just a thought..

Blessings!
brian