Attributes of God and Related Issues 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's will of decree includes his election(predestination) of persons for salvation
"and all who dwell on earth will worship it, every one whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb that was slain." (Rev 13:8 RSV)
"When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and praised the word of the Lord; and as many as had been destined for eternal life became believers." (Acts 13:48 NRSV)
"We are always bound to thank God for you, my friends beloved by the Lord. From the beginning of time God chose you to find salvation in the Spirit who consecrates you and in the truth you believe." (2Thess 2:13 REB)
"Before the foundation of the world he chose us in Christ to be his people, to be without blemish in his sight, to be full of love; and he predestined us to be adopted as his children through Jesus Christ. This was his will and pleasure" (Eph 1:4-5 REB)
"It is he who has brought us salvation and called us to a dedicated life, not for any merit of ours but for his own purpose and of his own grace, granted to us in Christ Jesus from all eternity," (2Tim 1:9 REB)

God's will of decree also includes his awful reprobation of persons, as hard as that seems to us
"The LORD hath made every thing for its own end: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil." (Prov 16:4 ERV)
"For it was of the LORD to harden their hearts, to come against Israel in battle, that he might utterly destroy them, that they might have no favour, but that he might destroy them, as the LORD commanded Moses." (Josh 11:20 ERV)
"...and 'A stone that makes them stumble, and a rock that makes them fall.' They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do." (1Pet 2:8 NRSV)
"So then he has mercy on whomever he chooses, and he hardens the heart of whomever he chooses." (Rom 9:18 NRSV)
"These men are like brute beasts, mere creatures of instinct, born to be caught and killed. They pour abuse upon things they do not understand; they will perish like the beasts," (2Pet 2:12 REB)

** God's will also includes his 'will of precept', what he wishes us to do by his commands
"There are things hidden, and they belong to the Lord our God, but what is revealed belongs to us and our children for ever; it is for us to observe all that is prescribed in this law." (Deut 29:29 REB)
"But as for you who bear the name of Jew and rely on the law: you take pride in your God; you know his will; taught by the law, you know what really matters;" (Rom 2:17-18 REB)
"He laid on Jacob a solemn charge and established a rule in Israel, which he commanded our forefathers to teach their descendants, so that it might be known to a future generation, to children yet to be born, and they in turn would repeat it to their children." (Ps 78:5-6 REB)
"but is now disclosed, and through the prophetic writings is made known to all the Gentiles, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith" (Rom 16:26 NRSV)

What was decreed before the creation, is worked out in time spoken of as "providence" -
"You granted me life and continuing favour, and your providence watched over my spirit." (Job 10:12 REB)
"Under the providence of God they sent us Sherebiah, a man of discretion, of the line of Mahli son of Levi, son of Israel, together with his sons and kinsmen, eighteen men in all" (Ezra 8:18 REB)
"Simon has described how it first happened that God, in his providence, chose from among the Gentiles a people to bear his name." (Acts 15:14 REB)

NOTHING HAPPENS BY ACCIDENT, ALL IS BY GOD'S PLAN, PURPOSE AND COUNSEL!
"This is the plan that is planned concerning the whole earth; and this is the hand that is stretched out over all the nations. For the LORD of hosts has planned, and who will annul it? His hand is stretched out, and who will turn it back?" (Isa 14:26-27 NRSV) Also Acts 2:23; 4:28; Eph. 1:10
"Then Job answered the LORD: 'I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.'" (Job 42:1-2 NRSV)
"In Christ we have also obtained an inheritance, having been destined according to the purpose of him who accomplishes all things according to his counsel and will," (Eph 1:11 NRSV)

"And Elihu answered and said: Do you think this to be just, you that say, I am more just than God?"
Job 35:1-2 LITV
"Moreover Elihu answered and said, Thinkest thou this to be thy right, Or sayest thou, My righteousness is more than God's," (Job 35:1-2 ASV)

What Job's three friends spoke were usually truths, but they were judging and accusing Job wrongfully when they did not know what God's plan and purpose was. We may to this very day struggle with God's dealing with Job. WHAT THIS SHOWS US IS THE ARROGANCE AND FUTILITY OF JUDGING GOD AS IF WE PUNY, SINFUL MORTALS CAN TAKE GOD TO ACCOUNT!

"For we know who it is that said, ‘Justice is mine: I will repay’; and again, ‘The Lord will judge his people.’ It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Heb 10:30-31 REB)

Reactions: APAK and Jim C

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's creation, God's rules.

And you hit the nail on the head there at the end. The absolute and unmitigated arrogance of people to presume to sit in judgment on God, and by pitiful human standards no less -- as if He should've consulted with them first. What a completely absurd farce.

Last edited: