Baptism: Why immersion ONLY is wrong

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wormwood said:
If the Didache is a somewhat problematic work and its dating is anything but certain. Some claim it to be 1st century, but in my estimation more seem to view it as either early 2nd century or even later than that.
"Now, it is noteworthy that the very title of the Didache connects at least the first tract in one way or another with “the Twelve Apostles”, and it is not rash to conclude that it was their way of catechizing that found its way into the Didache. When this happened we do not know; but since the Didache offers a somewhat modified form of the Apostolic decree (see 6.2 and 3), some time must have elapsed between the year 50 and the date of composition. If we allow the space of a whole decade to have intervened between the two events, we reach the year 60, and it is impossible to disprove the statements of some scholars that the Didache was written, if not in whole, at least in part, between 60 and 70. others prefer the period between 70 and 80, whilst some others still cling to the following decade, 80-90." (Ancient Christian Writings Volume Six, 1957 edition)

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, we have found more documents and have much more scholarship on the matter since 1957...as the NBD indicates.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"The anonymous work presents elements of great antiquity which have caused it to be dated as early as the middle of the first century, making it older even than the Synoptic gospels" (Introduction to the Father of The Church , 1983)

domenic

Apr 5, 2013
If you want to be baptized, I'll tie you to the bow of my sailboat, and take you outside the Golden Gate. You will be underwater much of the time, but you will be baptized...lol.

Atonement

May 30, 2013
29.7631° N, 95.3631° W
Mungo said:
It's not scriptural. You are not relying on scripture but on your personal interpretation of the meaning of the Greek word.

Yoiu are ignoring the examples I gave where baptise does not mean immersion.
And by this reply, I will have to step out of the conversation. You are blinded by your traditions as most Catholics who I've met are. You come telling lies, and then finally tell us that it's not Scriptural. I don't know how the leadership works here on this site. But most Christian sites, if one starts denying Scripture, they usually get the boot. You have denied Scripture because of your interpretation of a simple word.. So I guess when God said He flooded the earth, that just meant that he caused it to rain..

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
Mungo said:
It's not scriptural. You are not relying on scripture but on your personal interpretation of the meaning of the Greek word.

Yoiu are ignoring the examples I gave where baptise does not mean immersion.
You are ingnoring the fact that every meaning fo baptism, Means total immersion.
You'll just have to face the fact that your NOT BAPTISED.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'll give one last post then I'm leaving this thread as it is going nowhere and people are getting insulting.

The only specific instructions for Baptism given in the NT are the words of Jesus
“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Mt 28:19).

Jesus is specific concerning the words but not the action.

All else is conjecture.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
Mungo said:
I'll give one last post then I'm leaving this thread as it is going nowhere and people are getting insulting.

The only specific instructions for Baptism given in the NT are the words of Jesus
“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Mt 28:19).

Jesus is specific concerning the words but not the action.

All else is conjecture.
Please note, First make disciples, Then they can be baptised.
Jesus didn't say, Baptise people, Then make disciples of them, Like so many of the catholic teachings, They twist the scriptures.