BE PERFECT, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How?

Let's see the context. Jesus starts the sermon on the mount in Matthew 5 and ends it with:

43 You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and ‘Hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
The context is universal love. The Father bestows his universal love on the unrighteous.

46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Do not even tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even Gentiles do the same?
48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
perfect
Strong's 5046: From telos; complete; neuter completeness.

Be complete in your love. Love those who hate you as the Father bestows his universal love on everyone, Romans 5:

8 God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
How do we love perfectly?

Ellicott answered:

In God the perfection is not something attained, but exists eternally, but we draw near to it and become partakers of the divine nature when we love as He loves.

Reactions: amadeus

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

BE PERFECT, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect​

How is the Heavenly Father perfect? Could it have to do with love never fails? 1 Corinthians 13:8

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How?

Let's see the context. Jesus starts the sermon on the mount in Matthew 5 and ends it with:

The context is universal love. The Father bestows his universal love on the unrighteous.

perfect
Strong's 5046: From telos; complete; neuter completeness.

Be complete in your love. Love those who hate you as the Father bestows his universal love on everyone, Romans 5:

How do we love perfectly?

Ellicott answered:
Yes, I believe we need to repent of all our sin. Some people seem to think this isn't possible. I think it is.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I believe we need to repent of all our sin. Some people seem to think this isn't possible. I think it is.
I agree! For God, all things are possible! So then in a complete surrender to God, with Christ working in us, what is not impossible for us?

Mr 10:27And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Reactions: Bob Estey