Be The Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saturday 12-9-23 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Kislev 23 5784, 77th. Fall Day

9th. Torah Portion After Tabernacles 2023 Va Yeshev Genesis 37:1 Genesis 40:23 Zechariah 2:10

Zechariah 4:7 John 10:22-28

Today's Devotional

Read: Hebrews 10:19–25 | Bible in a Year: Daniel 11–12; Jude 1

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Let us consider how we may spur one another on . . . not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing. Hebrews 10:24–25

During the Covid-19 pandemic, Dave and Carla spent months looking for a church home. Following health guidelines, which limited various in-person experiences, made it even more difficult. They longed for connection to a body of believers in Jesus. “It’s a hard time to find a church,” Carla emailed me. Within me rose a realization from my own longing to be reunited with my church family.

“It’s a hard time to be the church,” I responded. In that season, our church had “pivoted,” offering food in surrounding neighborhoods, creating online services, and phoning every member with support and prayer. My husband and I participated and yet wondered what else we could do to “be the church” in our changed world.

In Hebrews 10:25, the writer exhorts readers not to neglect “meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but [encourage] one another.” Perhaps due to persecution (vv. 32–34) or maybe as a result of simply growing weary (12:3), the struggling early believers needed a nudge to keep being the church.
And today, I need a nudge too. Do you? When circumstances change how we experience church, will we continue to be the church?

Let’s creatively encourage one another and build each other up as God guides us. Share our resources. Send a text of support. Gather as we’re able. Pray for one another. Let’s be the church.
How can you be a help to those today who can’t gather in a church building? How does the church fill your need to be a part of a much larger purpose?
Dear God, please show me how to be the church.

INSIGHT​

The letter to the Hebrews was written to Jewish believers in Jesus who, due to persecution and hardship, were in danger of drifting from the faith. Therefore, it makes sense that the author would remind them of the confidence they could have in Christ, for it provides an antidote for their doubts. The New Bible Commentary says, “The word translated confidence is found in four important contexts in Hebrews (3:6; 4:16; 10:19; 10:35).

Fundamentally, it’s a confidence of free and open access to God . . . based on the unique sacrifice of Jesus (by the blood of Jesus).” As a result, the believers were encouraged to embrace the confidence that they were truly part of God’s “house” (3:6), to enter His presence confidently in prayer (4:15-16), to enter God’s presence in worship (10:19), and to maintain that confidence in living out their lives (10:35).

By Elisa Morgan |December 9th, 2023

Love, Walter And Debbie

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am one of those who misses attending a physical church. This forum has served in the past, but there is too much garbage here to really get into it. I expect to attend somewhere this Spring after my cataract surgeries and when I am able to drive again.