Being a Christian is hard :(

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
(Jon-Marc;15403)
I received the Holy Spirit on May 18, 1963 when I accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour. I have never spoken in tongues and don't consider it necessary. It certainly isn't necessary in order for one to be saved or in order to have the Holy Spirit within them. EVERYONE who is born again has the Holy Spirit dwelling within them from the instant they accept Him as Saviour.In 1 Cor. 14 Paul is speaking about tongues and says that it's better to speak 5 words that can be understood than to speak 10,000 words that no one understands. Also, one requirement is that there must be an interpreter. If there is none, then the person must remain silent. The majority of "tongues" used these days are for the glorification of the person doing it, because no one has any idea what that person is saying--if anything. I'm sure that most (if not all) so-called "tongues" is like the woman I heard once who kept repeating something like "AH ditty, ah ditty, ah ditty, ah ditty" over and over and over. It was pure gibberish, and no one interpreted it. So by what God's word says, she should have remained silent since there was no one to interpret.
thank you for your addition Jon.
smile.gif

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
There's another danger with tongues that we tend to forget - I was with several friends in a cafe having a coffee when a young street-preacher came in and we invited him to join us,even though we vaguely knew him from the past and he had a slight reputation for being a 'false christian'.After a while he offered to say a prayer for us so we agreed and he closed his eyes and began praying - "Dear God...", but then to our surprise he began babbling like this - "hubba-da-bubba-da-bubba-da-bubba..." for about 2 minutes, then ended with "Amen", and we all automatically repeated "Amen" too, even though we hadn't a clue what he'd been babbling about!Do you see the danger?For all we knew, he may have been a devil-worshipper and his tongue-speaking may have been his own personal language to speak to Satan.He made no attempt to interpret it for us, so it could have meant "Dear Satan my god, I curse all these Christians on your behalf", then when he ended with "Amen", we all said "Amen" too, like idiots even though we didn't know what the babbling meant!Personally I don't tongue-speak because I've never felt the need, but if others want to do it to make themselves feel closer to God it's up to them, providing they're aware of Pauls guidelines -"..anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may INTERPRET what he says" (1 Cor 14:13)"I would RATHER HAVE YOU PREACH.. " (1 Cor 14:5)"If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say "Amen" to your thanksgiving, since he DOES NOT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SAYING?" (1 Cor 14:16-19)Incidentally my sister looked in on a church near her once but never went back because she said it was "like a madhouse" with everybody noisily tongue-speaking without interpreting, and waving their arms etc.That's not good -"If the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are OUT OF YOUR MIND?" (1 Cor 14:23)So- "Therefore, my brothers, be eager to preach, but do not forbid speaking in tongues,but everything should be done IN A FITTING AND ORDERLY WAY" (1 Cor 14:39-40)

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Yes that is the danger there MickEngland, speaking in that tongue is gibberish...A made up blah blah blah...The very word for tongue(s) is language(s). If someone speak in true tongue, it means speaking foreign languages. (like German, Spanish, Hebrew, Greek etc), not "hubba, hubba, ditty, ditty" made up tongue, that's not even a language.So yes that's from Satan alright.Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.

HeisNear

Dec 2, 2006
(Wakka;15250)
After the honeymoon period wares off, it's much harder because you're confronted by sinful desires. I have to constantly revive myself. And I'm beginning to loose the desire to read the Bible. But I make myself read it. I'm getting random atheistic thoughts like "who am I praying to?" and I immediately drop everything and pray to God to clear my mind. I often wish God to do a sign or something to revolutionize me. Pray for me :pray:.
"Remember dear brother, Christ said that it's easy to be saved and hard to be lost, if one understands the good news. Matt. 11:28 and on ... Take courage. On another note by the leadership of this website. He states ..."We added our 1,000th member to the forum and have since added another five. Our growth has been tremendous in the past year and a half and I cannot be more thankful to God for everything that this community has become and the good people within in!"Let's be careful not to congratulate ourselves with numbers. The Bible states...1 Chronicles 21: 1-14.[/COLOR] A brief pictorial: "Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel. ... So the LORD sent a plague upon Israel, and seventy thousand men of Israel fell." A quote from a former medical doctor who gave it up to be a preacher of righteousness, disregarding all material goods for the cause of Christ and Him crucified. .."“The Call of Abraham. ” The Present Truth 18, 8 (February 20, 1902), pp. 115, 116.One word more about the census of the heirs of God’s promise. When “Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel,” the act was iniquity on the part of David, who thus “sinned greatly” and did “very foolishly,” and became “a cause of trespass to Israel.” David’s pride over the number of Israel caused him to forget God’s word concerning them, that they should be innumerable. God alone can write up the number of His faithful ones, and when that is done there will be “a great multitude which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues.”Blessings in Christ,John

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Glad that I caught this post by HeIsNear. This particular individual has been emailing me since I made the announcement about the website is his self-righteous manner. I've been very respectful, but this move combined with the following quote has assured me of this purposes.This was his latest email, I want people to understand where this one is coming from. You know them by their fruit.
It is very evident you have not addressed the question at hand. You are very general and "round about" in your accusations. Certainly you are moreintelligent spiritually than that? You take a scripture without putting itinto context, a very common practice with those who are lazy and are moreinto the mechanics than the spiritual facts of faith. God bless you. Please address the question as a mature Christian my fellow brother. Are you mad at me? It sounds like it. Let's discover evidence, you come across as very bitter my brother, without giving evidence. Faith comes by Hearing the word of God. Do you have faith or philosophical Christianity?
Now, when you insult someone based upon something as absolutely silly as a single statement, and pull Scripture out of context, then you've proven what you are. We already have an accuser that stands in front of God day and night accusing us in front of him. We don't need another.As Christ instructed us, get away from this place. Your accusations are not welcome and I will not waste time refuting groundless accusations. If all you do is post to accuse, then this is not and will never be the place for you. I'm sorry that you've managed to be the first person ever banned for harrasing me, but you have earned that distinction making accusatory statements about something you do not understand. Simply because you have chosen to attack me without any real knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes, does not make you an expert.In closing, let me point out a little something else about David:Acts 13:22And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.He was forgiven by the one who had the right to both judge and forgive. He had his faults and this administrator certainly has his own times many, but he will answer to Almighty God. Not some accuser that remains in ignorance.Matthew 7:1-2Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(HeisNear;15431)
"Remember dear brother, Christ said that it's easy to be saved and hard to be lost, if one understands the good news. Matt. 11:28 and on ... Take courage. On another note by the leadership of this website. He states ..."We added our 1,000th member to the forum and have since added another five. Our growth has been tremendous in the past year and a half and I cannot be more thankful to God for everything that this community has become and the good people within in!"Let's be careful not to congratulate ourselves with numbers. The Bible states...1 Chronicles 21: 1-14.[/COLOR] A brief pictorial: "Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel. ... So the LORD sent a plague upon Israel, and seventy thousand men of Israel fell." A quote from a former medical doctor who gave it up to be a preacher of righteousness, disregarding all material goods for the cause of Christ and Him crucified. .."“The Call of Abraham. ” The Present Truth 18, 8 (February 20, 1902), pp. 115, 116.One word more about the census of the heirs of God’s promise. When “Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel,” the act was iniquity on the part of David, who thus “sinned greatly” and did “very foolishly,” and became “a cause of trespass to Israel.” David’s pride over the number of Israel caused him to forget God’s word concerning them, that they should be innumerable. God alone can write up the number of His faithful ones, and when that is done there will be “a great multitude which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues.”Blessings in Christ,John
Now whats wrong with praising God for his blessings :naughty:.Oh, and thanks guys. You all kind of helped me get out of my minor depression. It's better to be happy
wink.gif

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
The doctrine that salvation has somehow changed such that all do not receive God's Spirit & speak in tongues like the bible details is certainly from Satan!Those that teach it are (unwittingly) his ministers, "blind leaders of the blind".

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
(TallMan;15498)
The doctrine that salvation has somehow changed such that all do not receive God's Spirit & speak in tongues like the bible details is certainly from Satan!Those that teach it are (unwittingly) his ministers, "blind leaders of the blind".
TallMan, may I ask you some questions regarding your "tongue"?love,htomi

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(Faithful1;15501)
TallMan, may I ask you some questions regarding your "tongue"?love,htomi
Of course

KarlaElisa

Jul 23, 2007
(Wakka;15250)
After the honeymoon period wares off, it's much harder because you're confronted by sinful desires. I have to constantly revive myself. And I'm beginning to loose the desire to read the Bible. :pray:.
We ALL have these moments.I find when I am NOT aggressively pursuing God, I tend to languish. I then have a weakened defense for sin. And when I entertain sin I separate myself from God.It's impossible to be in step with Christ when you are making poor decisions or have allowed the 'light' to be blocked.The only thing I find that helps is to get to a service, spend some time with my bible, call someone with a mature faith that has been in these shoes. Little by little you find yourself feeling better, almost like having the dirt rinsed off of you. When we are clean we FEEL God.Best of luck to you and good to know you came here to share.We all need to remember how easy it is to become complacent.Bless you.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
(TallMan;15593)
Of course
thank you:)How long have you been speaking in "tongue"? Do your parent(s) speak too?love, hitomi

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(Faithful1;15615)
How long have you been speaking in "tongue"? Do your parent(s) speak too?
Since 1986. My parents never spoke in tongues, they are deceased.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
(TallMan;15641)
Since 1986. My parents never spoke in tongues, they are deceased.
thank you tallman, I have my own theory why speak in tongue if your parents spoke. Sinse they did not, never mind.love, hitomi:)