Being Chosen.....10 Years Later.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

AceWestfall08

Apr 29, 2022
West Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alot has happened this past decade for me. I'm 32 years old now. 10 Years ago, when I was 22 while I was in college and in the National Guard. I was in love with my college sweetheart. Things were going well for me. I had went to church in the past, but never for the reason of knowing God. I believed in God, sure, and was 'saved by Jesus', and even read the New Testament out of Curiosity. But none of it really meant anything to me. It was just a story.

Then one weekend, i came home from school to visit my dad at home. One night as I woke up to use the bathroom, my dad was awake and told me he wanted to talked to me. I sat down with him and he the told me that he was really Gabriel and that he didn't have long because he couldn't be in a body of sin. I looked at him confused and he rose his hand. All of a sudden I felt warm water being poured over me, but yet I wasn't wet. (Baptism by spirit?). I then felt a sudden rush of air in my lungs and I sneezed with my mouth. As soon as that happened I was lifted out of my body and had this weird visual expierence where I saw a floating head appear out of thin air and said to me "Thomas I swear by my great name, you are mine!". He then asked me what I wanted. I responded with "I just want to be happy". After that the head disappeared and I went back to bed like nothing happened and it wasn't a big deal. Forgetting about the experience until months later.

In the meantime, i was still attending college, but something in me started to change. I started losing interest in things. Losing motivation to do anything. I stopped going to classes and ended up failing all my classes in the second semester.Which led to my girlfriend leaving me and me moving back in with my Dad. I start smoking weed and get kicked out of the Guard. This was just the beginning of my life starting to fall apart.

I ended up getting a job as a flagger, and I had alot of downtime. Alot of time for thinking and boredom. A few months into this job, oblivious to the oath I received earlier, my thoughts started thinking about God. Pondering God and if he was real, etc. Eventually I picked up the Bible and started reading it from the Beginning while at work. Started seeking for real.

Not too much longer after that. (weeks or maybe a couple months) I was hanging out with my friends. Everything was fine and normal, and suddenly I felt this sudden power fall over me. I started thinking for no apparent reason that i was about to die and god was about to smite me on the spot, and i start panicking in front of my friends. Tears strolling down my face and I'm screaming bloody murder. I had never had a more terrifying experience in my life. I remember my thoughts crying out to God and asking why. I then feel this amazing peaceful reassuring feeling wash over me and my mind takes control of itself. When I say it took control, i mean it felt like my brain and thoughts were steered and controlled. I heard a voice and thought simultaneously "Thomas you are the Lonely Sparrow, but I have given you wings, oh what mighty wings they are. Spread them and Fly!". And as quick as it happened the feelings and the voice was gone and my friends are staring at me bewildered.

This was 10 years ago. The time in my life where God revealed himself to me in his own way. Giving me the Oath and Gifting me with Wings.

Life has not been easy or happy for me these past ten years. Soon after receiving my wings, I remembered the oath that was given to me. I finished the Bible, and started reading other books. Like the Apocrypha, the Gnostic Texts and the Book of Mormon. My ego started going up feeling like I was chosen. I read a passage from the bible in the New Testament about how the Rich Man could not give away his possessions and following Jesus. Something about that passage struck something with me and I did something I thought I'd never do. I quit my job and gave away all my possessions to a local Church. All i owned was the clothes on my back and my vehicle and my bed/blanket. My dad then had me committed in the hospital where I was diagnosed as Schizo-Affective.

This diagnosis caused serious problems with my Dad. It changed his whole outlook on me and he disowned me, telling his current wife not to even contact me when he dies. I've tried reconnecting with my Mother's side of the family, but they too have put their distance. I have no close friends or family. I live with coworkers currently. Over the past few years I have lived with family or friends and have lost everybody in my life, one by one, slowly but surely. I am not going to tell my full struggle. But there have been many times I have felt like a slave or helpless in my situation. With no hope other than God. Even when i was depressed and isolated he was there for me.

It hasn't been all bad though. I have found out throughout the years that God is a great listener. He constantly reminds me he is there with subtle signs and whispers to the heart. Sometimes its an inside joke about something I would only understand. In my darkness moments he is right there suffering with me, truly understanding me, and being my companion. I live my life expecting him to know how I feel about something, and with the Oath i received, I can be myself in my thoughts with him, I can be true to him and honest. Most of all, it gives me hope. Hope that allows me to endure my struggles and always see me though even if just barely. Hope that keeps me searching to find a deeper meaning. And a continued Hope that my prayer i've held onto for years might be answered one day, even if it isn't in this life.

I've had thoughts and feelings I have cherished, while pondering and searching for God. Having this relationship with a higher power has allowed me to find value and meaning in feelings and love I harbor towards people who are no longer in my life.
Knowing God is real and not just believing has given me a new perspective about people.
For the people I've lost in my life, I still talk to them, hoping one day they will hear what i have to say. It allows me to hold onto love i have or to get things off my chest. I live "naked and not ashamed", knowing my inner thoughts and feelings could be exposed in the afterlife.
This has allowed me to life a "true'er" life. more from the heart, with more emotions.

Having lost everything in my life materially and relationships, has taught me to be grateful for everything you have, but not be attached. One day it might not be there. The one thing that has never left me, is the feeling that God is with me and understands and is listening.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alot has happened this past decade for me. I'm 32 years old now. 10 Years ago, when I was 22 while I was in college and in the National Guard. I was in love with my college sweetheart. Things were going well for me. I had went to church in the past, but never for the reason of knowing God. I believed in God, sure, and was 'saved by Jesus', and even read the New Testament out of Curiosity. But none of it really meant anything to me. It was just a story.

Then one weekend, i came home from school to visit my dad at home. One night as I woke up to use the bathroom, my dad was awake and told me he wanted to talked to me. I sat down with him and he the told me that he was really Gabriel and that he didn't have long because he couldn't be in a body of sin. I looked at him confused and he rose his hand. All of a sudden I felt warm water being poured over me, but yet I wasn't wet. (Baptism by spirit?). I then felt a sudden rush of air in my lungs and I sneezed with my mouth. As soon as that happened I was lifted out of my body and had this weird visual expierence where I saw a floating head appear out of thin air and said to me "Thomas I swear by my great name, you are mine!". He then asked me what I wanted. I responded with "I just want to be happy". After that the head disappeared and I went back to bed like nothing happened and it wasn't a big deal. Forgetting about the experience until months later.

In the meantime, i was still attending college, but something in me started to change. I started losing interest in things. Losing motivation to do anything. I stopped going to classes and ended up failing all my classes in the second semester.Which led to my girlfriend leaving me and me moving back in with my Dad. I start smoking weed and get kicked out of the Guard. This was just the beginning of my life starting to fall apart.

I ended up getting a job as a flagger, and I had alot of downtime. Alot of time for thinking and boredom. A few months into this job, oblivious to the oath I received earlier, my thoughts started thinking about God. Pondering God and if he was real, etc. Eventually I picked up the Bible and started reading it from the Beginning while at work. Started seeking for real.

Not too much longer after that. (weeks or maybe a couple months) I was hanging out with my friends. Everything was fine and normal, and suddenly I felt this sudden power fall over me. I started thinking for no apparent reason that i was about to die and god was about to smite me on the spot, and i start panicking in front of my friends. Tears strolling down my face and I'm screaming bloody murder. I had never had a more terrifying experience in my life. I remember my thoughts crying out to God and asking why. I then feel this amazing peaceful reassuring feeling wash over me and my mind takes control of itself. When I say it took control, i mean it felt like my brain and thoughts were steered and controlled. I heard a voice and thought simultaneously "Thomas you are the Lonely Sparrow, but I have given you wings, oh what mighty wings they are. Spread them and Fly!". And as quick as it happened the feelings and the voice was gone and my friends are staring at me bewildered.

This was 10 years ago. The time in my life where God revealed himself to me in his own way. Giving me the Oath and Gifting me with Wings.

Life has not been easy or happy for me these past ten years. Soon after receiving my wings, I remembered the oath that was given to me. I finished the Bible, and started reading other books. Like the Apocrypha, the Gnostic Texts and the Book of Mormon. My ego started going up feeling like I was chosen. I read a passage from the bible in the New Testament about how the Rich Man could not give away his possessions and following Jesus. Something about that passage struck something with me and I did something I thought I'd never do. I quit my job and gave away all my possessions to a local Church. All i owned was the clothes on my back and my vehicle and my bed/blanket. My dad then had me committed in the hospital where I was diagnosed as Schizo-Affective.

This diagnosis caused serious problems with my Dad. It changed his whole outlook on me and he disowned me, telling his current wife not to even contact me when he dies. I've tried reconnecting with my Mother's side of the family, but they too have put their distance. I have no close friends or family. I live with coworkers currently. Over the past few years I have lived with family or friends and have lost everybody in my life, one by one, slowly but surely. I am not going to tell my full struggle. But there have been many times I have felt like a slave or helpless in my situation. With no hope other than God. Even when i was depressed and isolated he was there for me.

It hasn't been all bad though. I have found out throughout the years that God is a great listener. He constantly reminds me he is there with subtle signs and whispers to the heart. Sometimes its an inside joke about something I would only understand. In my darkness moments he is right there suffering with me, truly understanding me, and being my companion. I live my life expecting him to know how I feel about something, and with the Oath i received, I can be myself in my thoughts with him, I can be true to him and honest. Most of all, it gives me hope. Hope that allows me to endure my struggles and always see me though even if just barely. Hope that keeps me searching to find a deeper meaning. And a continued Hope that my prayer i've held onto for years might be answered one day, even if it isn't in this life.

I've had thoughts and feelings I have cherished, while pondering and searching for God. Having this relationship with a higher power has allowed me to find value and meaning in feelings and love I harbor towards people who are no longer in my life.
Knowing God is real and not just believing has given me a new perspective about people.
For the people I've lost in my life, I still talk to them, hoping one day they will hear what i have to say. It allows me to hold onto love i have or to get things off my chest. I live "naked and not ashamed", knowing my inner thoughts and feelings could be exposed in the afterlife.
This has allowed me to life a "true'er" life. more from the heart, with more emotions.

Having lost everything in my life materially and relationships, has taught me to be grateful for everything you have, but not be attached. One day it might not be there. The one thing that has never left me, is the feeling that God is with me and understands and is listening.

Awesome testimony Ace, welcome here!

Reactions: amadeus

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Ace.
God is real and faith is unseen!

Jesus helped those who could not help themselves,be it possession, grave sin,the mentally and physically challenged of his day.

He has NOT changed but offers us a change.
My son had a schizoid effective diagnosis as well so I understand your struggles.

He loves you and can truly understand where you are. Stay positive,he will not fail.
Great testimony.

Reactions: amadeus

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Awesome testimony. I cannot believe you were disowned over a mental health issue. What the world calls schizophrenic I call super sensitive to the spiritual realm. Welcome and God bless.

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

First off? It is SO COOL to hear/read yer testimony and baring witness to the same!

And? It is a TRUTH that God's WORD does not go out from Him and return to Him void!
It just ain't gonna happen!

There are more then a coupla similarities in your testimony and mine. Not so much in the "details", but more in the result/s. The "exiling" myself first from my family, which has become rather mutual over the years. And I'm fine with that!
Cuz? I know whom I have believed! And am persuaded (and corrected at times), that He is able to keep that which is committed unto Him, against, or until "that" day!

Trust me dude! Cuz you are committed unto Him!
Don't believe me? Try walking away!
Ya probably wouldn't believe me how many times I've told God: "You've got the wrong guy here!"
After which He told me: "In these eyes? It's already a done deal!" "You just haven't got there yet!" "You'll see!" "Because you see!"

I hafta laugh. They have this nic name that they gave to Baalim's donkey! Yanno, the one Baalim rode and it kept crunching him into the mountainside because the donkey kept stopping and Baalim kept on whippin' him? To which the donkey turned his head and exclaimed to Baalim?: "Why do you keep beating me?" "What have I done to you?" :p:p:p
It's because God allowed that donkey to see and deliver a message to Baalim that Baalim ignored cuz of the money he was being paid.

Anyways, I look forward to hearing the wonderful things God is doing in yer life and circumstances moving forwards!

AceWestfall08

Apr 29, 2022
West Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being diagnosed Schizophrenic has caused some doubts about some experiences I've had. 90% of the time, I am stable mentally, but there are these triggers that cause my mind to deteriorate. The main trigger is being reminded of my college sweetheart. About 6 years after we broke up, I was working as a Busser at Texas Roadhouse, we ended up getting a new server that when I first saw her, I thought it was my ex for a split second, and when i asked the server what her name was, she had the same name as my ex. I was utterly speechless.

Well I naturally started missing my ex the weeks that followed and started talking to God about it. My mind became fractured, and i couldnt focus on anything in the world. I started waging war on invisible spirits, talking with mentors, even sometimes thinking i was timetraveling. My thoughts were incoherent and unstructured. My schizophrenia set in. And while i was in that state, for months. It started in The winter time, and I didnt fully recover mentally until the next Fall. I lost my busser job because of it, lost my living situation three times, ended up in jail for 2 weeks for obstruction and ended up in a homeless shelter for 2 months. While I was jailed I was sent to the Suicide Unit for 3 Days, and I lost my temper and started speaking in tongues violently at the Guard. He opened up my cell and peppered sprayed me. Sometimes while i was in this state, i felt attacked by demonic forces, yet I had the strength and courage to fight in my own mental way because these were the times God was the closest to me. It was not all sunshine and rainbows. At times it felt like a team effort with God, like he needed me to win. Like it mattered to him, like I was a part of something. I know most of the thoughts and imaginary wars I fought were probably meaningless, but to me it strengthened a bond. It also has made me fearless to anything supernatural or to any paranoid thoughts that may arise.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

AceWestfall08

Apr 29, 2022
West Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7 A good name is better than fine perfume,
and the day of death better than the day of birth.
2 It is better to go to a house of mourning
than to go to a house of feasting,
for death is the destiny of everyone;
the living should take this to heart.
3 Frustration is better than laughter,
because a sad face is good for the heart.
4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning,
but the heart of fools is in the house of pleasure.
5 It is better to heed the rebuke of a wise person
than to listen to the song of fools.
6 Like the crackling of thorns under the pot,
so is the laughter of fools.
This too is meaningless.
7 Extortion turns a wise person into a fool,
and a bribe corrupts the heart.
8 The end of a matter is better than its beginning,
and patience is better than pride.
9 Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit,
for anger resides in the lap of fools.
10 Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?”
For it is not wise to ask such questions.
11 Wisdom, like an inheritance, is a good thing
and benefits those who see the sun.
12 Wisdom is a shelter
as money is a shelter,
but the advantage of knowledge is this:
Wisdom preserves those who have it.

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being diagnosed Schizophrenic has caused some doubts about some experiences I've had. 90% of the time, I am stable mentally, but there are these triggers that cause my mind to deteriorate. The main trigger is being reminded of my college sweetheart. About 6 years after we broke up, I was working as a Busser at Texas Roadhouse, we ended up getting a new server that when I first saw her, I thought it was my ex for a split second, and when i asked the server what her name was, she had the same name as my ex. I was utterly speechless.

Well I naturally started missing my ex the weeks that followed and started talking to God about it. My mind became fractured, and i couldnt focus on anything in the world. I started waging war on invisible spirits, talking with mentors, even sometimes thinking i was timetraveling. My thoughts were incoherent and unstructured. My schizophrenia set in. And while i was in that state, for months. It started in The winter time, and I didnt fully recover mentally until the next Fall. I lost my busser job because of it, lost my living situation three times, ended up in jail for 2 weeks for obstruction and ended up in a homeless shelter for 2 months. While I was jailed I was sent to the Suicide Unit for 3 Days, and I lost my temper and started speaking in tongues violently at the Guard. He opened up my cell and peppered sprayed me. Sometimes while i was in this state, i felt attacked by demonic forces, yet I had the strength and courage to fight in my own mental way because these were the times God was the closest to me. It was not all sunshine and rainbows. At times it felt like a team effort with God, like he needed me to win. Like it mattered to him, like I was a part of something. I know most of the thoughts and imaginary wars I fought were probably meaningless, but to me it strengthened a bond. It also has made me fearless to anything supernatural or to any paranoid thoughts that may arise.

Yeah? It's a roller coaster! And you are a part of something!
Lean not on your own understanding. Cuz yer not gonna understands it!

Isaiah 28:
9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

14 Wherefore hear the word of the Lord, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem (or even yer church,government,country,schools,work).
15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves: (and being deceivers ourselves and everyone else we could bully into believing that love has covered these lies and deceptive practices).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
7 A good name is better than fine perfume,
and the day of death better than the day of birth.
2 It is better to go to a house of mourning
than to go to a house of feasting,
for death is the destiny of everyone;
the living should take this to heart.
3 Frustration is better than laughter,
because a sad face is good for the heart.
4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning,
but the heart of fools is in the house of pleasure.
5 It is better to heed the rebuke of a wise person
than to listen to the song of fools.
6 Like the crackling of thorns under the pot,
so is the laughter of fools.
This too is meaningless.
7 Extortion turns a wise person into a fool,
and a bribe corrupts the heart.
8 The end of a matter is better than its beginning,
and patience is better than pride.
9 Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit,
for anger resides in the lap of fools.
10 Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?”
For it is not wise to ask such questions.
11 Wisdom, like an inheritance, is a good thing
and benefits those who see the sun.
12 Wisdom is a shelter
as money is a shelter,
but the advantage of knowledge is this:
Wisdom preserves those who have it.
Hi @AceWestfall08 Good verses there....

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
All of a sudden I felt warm water being poured over me, but yet I wasn't wet. (Baptism by spirit?)..

Nice story..:)
Interestingly something like that happened to me too, many years ago and I wonder how many other people its happened to?
As a teenager I'd hopped on my bike one evening after dark to pedal to the milk machine a mile away to get a carton for the family, and as I cycled down an ordinary street in town without thinking of anything in particular, I suddenly experienced this warm "waterfall" washing around me full of beauty and peace and i've never forgotten it, it was like a "spiritual baptism"
Looking back, perhaps it was the seeds of the holy spirit being planted in me, because afterwards I became attracted to the bible more and more over the years, and this verse springs to mind-
Jesus said "whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst.." (John 4:14)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nice story..:)
Interestingly something like that happened to me too, many years ago and I wonder how many other people its happened to?
As a teenager I'd hopped on my bike one evening after dark to pedal to the milk machine a mile away to get a carton for the family, and as I cycled down an ordinary street in town without thinking of anything in particular, I suddenly experienced this warm "waterfall" washing around me full of beauty and peace and i've never forgotten it, it was like a "spiritual baptism"
Looking back, perhaps it was the seeds of the holy spirit being planted in me, because afterwards I became attracted to the bible more and more over the years, and this verse springs to mind-
Jesus said "whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst.." (John 4:14)
I can relate to a similar experience........different circumstances but similar experience

Reactions: Dropship

AceWestfall08

Apr 29, 2022
West Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A mantra of sorts, i kinda came up with at as a spur of the moment type thing....but I have came up with this over the last couple days. It describes me and how I feel. Something I have been telling mysef when I feel spiritually attacked or paranoid. It kinda works.

I am the Sigma and Beta,
The one who knows, can, and will
The Seeker.
In whose hand I have found the keys of peace and hope.
In the Fathers Name, Thank God

My treasure is my destiny,
chosen for me,
through the shadows of faith,
and by the spirit within me
I will overcome any obstacle that the enemy may place before me.
The journey and trial will be my making.
With a prayer and a song.

NagaMorningstar

Dec 13, 2022
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That isn’t good how doctors will label you just because you were following the Bible and experiencing it. Your angel experience sounds amazing.

This page explains meaning of sparrow in Bible: