Beirut

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@farouk,
They are saying this morning that the explanation was caused by tonnes of ammonium nitrate being stored in a warehouse at the port. It was taken off a ship in 2014 and placed in storage. It shouldn’t have been there, and someone will be held to account over why it was there and why it was not secured in safe storage. They believe that welding was taking place nearby.
Rita
@Rita Well, this in a sense will indeed be a relief for a lot of ppl, that it's not a resurgence of civil war conditions....

R

Rita

Okay, just got more details Farouk- apparently the nitrate cannot just ‘ blow up ‘ it takes a chain of events
. In the warehouse next to where the nitrate was were fireworks - somehow they were set off ( possibly by the welding ) This started the fire, the fireworks could be seen as igniting within the videos release just prior to the nitrate going up. It’s possible that the fireworks went into the nitrate cause a mini shock wave ,which in turn would have ignited all of the nitrate that was stored there.
I thought perhaps that these warehouse were all closed and that the nitrate wasn’t visible, but a photo released earlier shows that the nitrate Was clearly visible and the warehouse door completely open. I have to ask myself why was it being stored, what were they saving it for - considering it’s been there since 2014 !!!!

Reactions: farouk

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What a terrible explosion, I heard other countries around Lebanon even reported earth tremors from the explosion.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Okay, just got more details Farouk- apparently the nitrate cannot just ‘ blow up ‘ it takes a chain of events
. In the warehouse next to where the nitrate was were fireworks - somehow they were set off ( possibly by the welding ) This started the fire, the fireworks could be seen as igniting within the videos release just prior to the nitrate going up. It’s possible that the fireworks went into the nitrate cause a mini shock wave ,which in turn would have ignited all of the nitrate that was stored there.
I thought perhaps that these warehouse were all closed and that the nitrate wasn’t visible, but a photo released earlier shows that the nitrate Was clearly visible and the warehouse door completely open. I have to ask myself why was it being stored, what were they saving it for - considering it’s been there since 2014 !!!!
@Rita In a sense good that it was simply because of fireworks used for celebrations rather than because of explosives used in anger, so to speak...

R

Rita

Thanks Farouk
I don’t remember that at all - yet it wasn’t that long ago really.
It was a few months after 7/7 , bombing on the London Underground, which I do remember!
Guess our memories are selective at times xx
Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thanks Farouk
I don’t remember that at all - yet it wasn’t that long ago really.
It was a few months after 7/7 , bombing on the London Underground, which I do remember!
Guess our memories are selective at times xx
Rita
@Rita I think that because the gas explosion didn't kill anyone - unlike the London bombings - it didn't stay in the media for nearly as long.

Reactions: Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Those London bombings were especially a shock to a lot of ppl, because, whereas in cities like Beirut there has been more than a bit of a history of bombings (though maybe not so recently), in London - unlike, say Belfast years back - it was more rare.

R

Rita

Those London bombings were especially a shock to a lot of ppl, because, whereas in cities like Beirut there has been more than a bit of a history of bombings (though maybe not so recently), in London - unlike, say Belfast years back - it was more rare.
We use to get quite a lot of bombings Farouk, and not just in London - Obviously the enemy was a different one ( The IRA ) So, for me, they were part of my life.
Rita

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My prayers go out to the people affected by this terrible explosion!

I just heard on the news that over 100 people were killed and more than 4000 people injured.

Reactions: farouk and amadeus

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The report seems to indicate that it may be something to do with escalating tension between Israel and Hezbollah.

Doubtful. As in the Texas City Disaster, the explosion was from ammonium nitrate fertilizer, which, if stored in massive quantities can explode. Unless properly mixed with an accelerant, it's unreliable, even treacherous. Often, the same storage/handling procedures that always went well, would suddenly cause a catastrophic blast.

It's a very useful explosive, because it has a low brisiance, meaning it tends to "push" rather than shatter. The explosion is not a detonation. So it's used a lot in blasting rock cuts for highways. If you've ever noticed vertical grooves in such cuts, that's where holes packed with ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel were exploded. Instead of blowing hunks of rock everywhere, the explosion tends to just push the rock away in nice, manageable piles.

But huge quantities are super dangerous, unless carefully stored.
Texas City disaster - Wikipedia

A few years ago, a similar blast in West, Texas, flattened a facility and numerous nearby structures, killing a number of people, including firemen who were trying to put out the fire that eventually caused the explosion.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Rita Having now looked at footage of the explosion - amazing - I stand corrected about my original assumption that it was probably something to do with political / communal strife in the region.

Reactions: Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I haven't seen any recent updates but I reckon it will take a huge amount of upheaval for the city to get over it.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't seen any recent updates but I reckon it will take a huge amount of upheaval for the city to get over it.
Just heard an update on OAN. They’re saying that over 150 dead with thousands of injuries and some still missing. The U.S. is sending humanitarian aid. Looks like it was accidental.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I doubt if any terrorist bomb ever did that much damage in Beruit.

Ammonium nitrate, BTW, was also the material used by right-wing terrorists Tim McVeigh and Terry Nichols to blow up a federal building in Oklahoma city, killing about 170 people, including many children who were in a day care facility next to the truck that held the bomb.