Bertrand Russell

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bertrand Russell was an atheist and was a philosopher, logician, mathematician, historian, writer, social critic and political activist.

I recently read one of his quotes and had to laugh at the simplicity of the statement and how anyone could jump on board...

Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines.
Bertrand Russell

But it certainly does not say why...

Russell described himself as an agnostic, "speaking to a purely philosophical audience", but as an atheist "speaking popularly", on the basis that he could not disprove the Christian God-- similar to the way that he could not disprove the Olympic Gods either. For most of his adult life, Russell maintained that religion is little more than superstition and, despite any positive effects that religion might have, it is largely harmful to people. He believed that religion and the religious outlook serve to impede knowledge and foster fear and dependency, and are responsible for much of our world's wars, oppression, and misery. He was a member of the Advisory Council of the British Humanist Association and President of Cardiff Humanists until his death.

Interestingly enough, it says he was pacifist and was huge on speaking about love and peace........

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tried to take Bertrand Russell seriously, but he reminds me too much of a smarter version of Bill Maher - constantly picking off the weakest member of the herd and portraying them as the above average Christian. In Bertrand's world he picked out the weakest arguments.

At least he was less preachy about it than Ayn Rand.

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ayn Rand was big on just restating the obvious and she was labeled a philosopher. As I read some of her quotes, I as like.. "Um, duh" :p