Bible Study - Colossians 1 - 4

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Learning from the introduction video also we learned that the back ground was that Paul sent Epaphras to spread the Gospel in Lycus Valley, and Epaphras subsequnetly established the church at Colosse.

The cities population consisted mostly of Phrygians, Greeks, but also included a signficant number of Jews. The church, likewise, was mostly composed of Gentiles, but it also had Jewish members. Epaphras had informed Paul of certain heretical teachings that had spread there in the church. Paul wrote the letter to the Colossians to help clear up some of the misconceptions that were going around.

We learn that the Epsitle was known as an "Prison Epistle", which was is suggested to have been written when Paul had been arrested and placed in prison while he was at Rome in the early 60ads. The people being written to are the ones who are in the Church, which is composed of Gentiles, and Jewish memebers.
There will be things that will be addressed more as we go through and study the text of Colossians.

Greeting
Col 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
Col 1:2 To the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father.

We went over this introduction in the last video, and you seen that Paul, was an apostle of Christ whom was sent forth to bring a message to the Colossians and others such as Thessalonica, Philippians, Ephesians, and other letters.

Paul is being sent by the pleasure, desire, and will of God along with Timothy his brother in the faith. In verse 2 you see that this letter is written to the saints and faithful brothers and now today we can say sisters in Christ at Colossae.

Now the history of this place Colosse was located in the Lycus Valley, eleven miles southeast of Laodicea. Being on the east-west trade route from Ephesus to the Euphrates, it was both prominent and prosperous until the eighth century Ad, when a change in the road system gave Laodicea the advantage. It was particularly known for its purple wool called colossinu. The Turks destoryed Colosse in the twelfth century and left it is ruins.

Archaeological discoveries in the city have been limited to a few inscriptions, some coins, and an ancient church. As limited as these are they give added realism to Paul's letter to the COlossians. The coins, for example, demontrate the wide range of ancient deities, both Roman and Egyptian that were worshiped here.

Colossae had Phygerians, Greeks, and Jews all living amongst each other in the city, and surround areas. Paul is writing to those in the Church which had Gentiles and Jews collectively with-in its confines. There had been some mentions of heretical teachings that Paul will be addressing in and through this letter and we will discover them as we go along.

A few more scriptures relating to Verse 2 on Faithfulness and grace,

1Co 4:17 That is why I sent you Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, to remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach them everywhere in every church.

Eph 6:21 So that you also may know how I am and what I am doing, Tychicus the beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord will tell you everything.

Rom 1:7 To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Gal 1:3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ,

2Pe 1:2 May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

Through these letters we can see how people were faithful in the Lord, and that is how you and me as Christians are suppose to be now today, living as faithful children of our Father in heaven, in where now in our own lives grace and peace should be there with-in us though sometimes we may have discomfort or rest the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ can help us as we grow in the knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord. Scripture is very helpful in making these things very clear for us, and help us in our lives as we hear the word.

Col 1:3 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,

Here in verse three of this letter we see again always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when Paul and timothy are praying for others there in Colossians, which it is important for us to also pray for others in our own lives. Did you know that is something that is good and pleasing in the sight of the Father? Let me share with you four verses from

1Ti 2:1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,
1Ti 2:2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.
1Ti 2:3 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior,
1Ti 2:4 who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Did you know that it is such an important aspect for us as christians?
The word here for prayer is pros-yoo-Khay-

which prayer is a form of worship; and by implication an oratory - X pray earnestly, prayer.

The word for supplication - is deh'-ay-sis - which is a petition - a request a seeking, asking, entreating, entreay to God or to man.

The word for intercession here is - an interview - that is supplication - intercession - a Falling in with, meeting with, an interview a coming together, to visit, converse or for any other cause.
1b that for which an interview is held - a conference or conversation

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This like offering you up a steak and we cut through it together working verse by verse on Colossians 1:1-12 believe many good things are shared and also great reminders for us to always be thankful to God, pray, and rest in the assurance of hope that we can have comfort from God and peace and grace in our lives now today.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

This like offering you up a steak and we cut through it together working verse by verse on Colossians 1:1-12 believe many good things are shared and also great reminders for us to always be thankful to God, pray, and rest in the assurance of hope that we can have comfort from God and peace and grace in our lives now today.
@MatthewG I love Colossians! :) You must have spent a long time studying Colossians...

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wynona hope that they are of some use to you. That is why I make these lessons for the benefit and education of others, in hopes to encourage them.

@farouk, I like to use E-sword program and expound on the text. It doesn't take a person very long to read colossians all together it is only 4 chapters long, breaking down the chapter verse by verse is a process but a good process that allows forth growth toward the believers.

There are going to be difficult lessons that I will have to go and seek information in and through the bible and possibly history with these things in place i will let anyone know that I do not know what passage is saying or that this is my opinion, or that I may be wrong on a certain thing.

Mark 9 has the upcoming the worm never dies and cut your hand off or pluck your eye out I think oh what a joy it will be to come through and get through those things.

While I have the life in me this is something I like to do in my spare time if I am not totally being lazy.

Thank you both for your time and comments and keep enduring and preserve in your faith in God and the Lord and may they help you walk in a manner worthy of the Lord pleasing in his sight praying for all the people you know.

Take care,
Matthew g.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Wynona hope that they are of some use to you. That is why I make these lessons for the benefit and education of others, in hopes to encourage them.

@farouk, I like to use E-sword program and expound on the text. It doesn't take a person very long to read colossians all together it is only 4 chapters long, breaking down the chapter verse by verse is a process but a good process that allows forth growth toward the believers.

There are going to be difficult lessons that I will have to go and seek information in and through the bible and possibly history with these things in place i will let anyone know that I do not know what passage is saying or that this is my opinion, or that I may be wrong on a certain thing.

Mark 9 has the upcoming the worm never dies and cut your hand off or pluck your eye out I think oh what a joy it will be to come through and get through those things.

While I have the life in me this is something I like to do in my spare time if I am not totally being lazy.

Thank you both for your time and comments and keep enduring and preserve in your faith in God and the Lord and may they help you walk in a manner worthy of the Lord pleasing in his sight praying for all the people you know.

Take care,
Matthew g.
@MatthewG Thank-you; and I've heard it said that E-sword is useful; not used it myself, that I recall...

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Learning from the introduction video also we learned that the back ground was that Paul sent Epaphras to spread the Gospel in Lycus Valley, and Epaphras subsequnetly established the church at Colosse.

The cities population consisted mostly of Phrygians, Greeks, but also included a signficant number of Jews. The church, likewise, was mostly composed of Gentiles, but it also had Jewish members. Epaphras had informed Paul of certain heretical teachings that had spread there in the church. Paul wrote the letter to the Colossians to help clear up some of the misconceptions that were going around.

We learn that the Epsitle was known as an "Prison Epistle", which was is suggested to have been written when Paul had been arrested and placed in prison while he was at Rome in the early 60ads. The people being written to are the ones who are in the Church, which is composed of Gentiles, and Jewish memebers.
There will be things that will be addressed more as we go through and study the text of Colossians.

Greeting
Col 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
Col 1:2 To the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father.

We went over this introduction in the last video, and you seen that Paul, was an apostle of Christ whom was sent forth to bring a message to the Colossians and others such as Thessalonica, Philippians, Ephesians, and other letters.

Paul is being sent by the pleasure, desire, and will of God along with Timothy his brother in the faith. In verse 2 you see that this letter is written to the saints and faithful brothers and now today we can say sisters in Christ at Colossae.

Now the history of this place Colosse was located in the Lycus Valley, eleven miles southeast of Laodicea. Being on the east-west trade route from Ephesus to the Euphrates, it was both prominent and prosperous until the eighth century Ad, when a change in the road system gave Laodicea the advantage. It was particularly known for its purple wool called colossinu. The Turks destoryed Colosse in the twelfth century and left it is ruins.

Archaeological discoveries in the city have been limited to a few inscriptions, some coins, and an ancient church. As limited as these are they give added realism to Paul's letter to the COlossians. The coins, for example, demontrate the wide range of ancient deities, both Roman and Egyptian that were worshiped here.

Colossae had Phygerians, Greeks, and Jews all living amongst each other in the city, and surround areas. Paul is writing to those in the Church which had Gentiles and Jews collectively with-in its confines. There had been some mentions of heretical teachings that Paul will be addressing in and through this letter and we will discover them as we go along.

A few more scriptures relating to Verse 2 on Faithfulness and grace,

1Co 4:17 That is why I sent you Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, to remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach them everywhere in every church.

Eph 6:21 So that you also may know how I am and what I am doing, Tychicus the beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord will tell you everything.

Rom 1:7 To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Gal 1:3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ,

2Pe 1:2 May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

Through these letters we can see how people were faithful in the Lord, and that is how you and me as Christians are suppose to be now today, living as faithful children of our Father in heaven, in where now in our own lives grace and peace should be there with-in us though sometimes we may have discomfort or rest the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ can help us as we grow in the knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord. Scripture is very helpful in making these things very clear for us, and help us in our lives as we hear the word.

Col 1:3 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,

Here in verse three of this letter we see again always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when Paul and timothy are praying for others there in Colossians, which it is important for us to also pray for others in our own lives. Did you know that is something that is good and pleasing in the sight of the Father? Let me share with you four verses from

1Ti 2:1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,
1Ti 2:2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.
1Ti 2:3 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior,
1Ti 2:4 who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Did you know that it is such an important aspect for us as christians?
The word here for prayer is pros-yoo-Khay-

which prayer is a form of worship; and by implication an oratory - X pray earnestly, prayer.

The word for supplication - is deh'-ay-sis - which is a petition - a request a seeking, asking, entreating, entreay to God or to man.

The word for intercession here is - an interview - that is supplication - intercession - a Falling in with, meeting with, an interview a coming together, to visit, converse or for any other cause.
1b that for which an interview is held - a conference or conversation

I appreciate this video. I like that you explained the history of how Collossians was written and the research you put into the early church at the time.

Reactions: MatthewG