Biblical Ambiguity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

wayofthespirit

More often partly wrong than wholly right
Feb 16, 2010
North Norfolk, UK
Why don't we all just face up to facts.
We all know perfectly well (from the vast number of 'thus says the Word of God' denominations) that the 'Bible' says different things to different people.
On my forum a member has just said (with reference to Christian Universal Reconciliation) that she has been labelled as 'CUR' yet has never read a thing about the subject from its 'Apologetics'......she simply believes what she believes.
And she didn't resort to a string of text proofing in order to support "what she simply believes".
Now that's 'faith' for you......"the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"......to which one could well include "not written" as being part of "things not seen". (oh dear, I've just resorted to text proofing. :rolleyes:)

Read the 'Bible' by all means, but if only we could desist from such constant text proofing of 'what we believe' from verses that mean different things to different people.

I doubt, after 65 years of Christian commitment, that many ppl have spent more time than myself immersed in the Bible.
Yet I have as much boldness as is consistent with the 'darkened glass' in proclaiming that I do not believe in OSAS, Eternal Torture of ppl in Hellfire, a literal interpretation of a six 24hr day creation, the flood, etc. without recourse to text proofing.
I join with our member in admitting with honesty that I simply believe what I believe.

In fact I will go so far as saying that all who believe one or the the other of the dual text proofed theological ambiguities (such as OSAS) also believe "what they simply believe" even if they won't recognise the fact.
Contentions like 'those that lose their salvation never had it in the first place' is nowt but a contradiction of terminological 'fudge' which results from a refusal to accept that the Bible says different things to different ppl.

God is not a God of confusion??...... (I've recently said so myself and shame upon me)
God most certainly is a God of confusion..... where he deems it necessary thus to be in order to prevent man from building towers of heavenward reaching theologically assertive dogma.

Biblical ambiguity is there by virtue of God's Divine intent.
We can do either of two things with it.
On the one hand we can use it to decimate the Body of Christ.
On the other hand we can use it to generate a spirit of circumspect Christian deference (I know of a forum that is based on that second alternative.... and that precludes membership of those who perpetuate the first. ;))

Mike.

Grat

Feb 18, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Well said.

I recently heard someone say "When God is vague, he doesn’t want us to know. He did it on purpose because he knows that if He was specific all we’d do is turn it into Law.”

Grat

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Well said.

I recently heard someone say "When God is vague, he doesn’t want us to know. He did it on purpose because he knows that if He was specific all we’d do is turn it into Law.”

Grat

Yes indeed we have proven this true time and again.
smile.gif

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Of a certainty, the whole world groans and travails awaiting the manifestation of the sons of God. We are called to that place of glory and honor that is mostly a premonition for the rest. For us, the power of God emanating in and through us, transforming our minds through a knowledge and experience of the Holy One of heaven, is difficult to reconcile with the world system we dwell in now. If there is biblical ambiguity and vaguery, it is for the purpose of bringing the true sons into their inheritance ahead of time, which will be to bring into subjection all things, and reconcile all things in accord with the power that raised Jesus from the dead. Opinions and one's own interpretations are useless. It is by strict adherence to the revealed word of God that His Son is able to achieve anything in our lives. And what He achieves in us now, as His workmanship, is what will remain when we are transformed in the blinking of an eye. Entertaining the dilema of unbelief as "ambiguity" is nothing more than resignation from the war in heaven that is taking place now and will be after we have usurped the Adversary and have taken our rightful place as the sons of light in Christ.

fivesense

Doppleganger

Mar 21, 2010
Yes, yes, yes. Many Things mean many different things to many people. Is the glass half full or half empty? People try to read to much into the Word, or don't take the time to read the whole of it to drive the necessary meaning of a particular subject home. The Hebrews weren't ambigous when they copied the text. Why should rely on feelings for decipherment of it. The Bible is full of Types & double types. 200 years ago, no one would of conceived of Isreal being a nation. But it happened. How many people back then would have conceived of it the way it is now. But people are just people.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When all the world finally realise the only truth is in Jesus, and they fianlly all turn to Him. it will be a much better place.

In His LOve