Biblical literalism correlates with anti-science

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Wormwood said:
I think we all allow science, culture, language, history and everything else to inform our interpretation of scripture.
I think so too, but it seems whenever I express that I get....well, you've seen it.

However, my contention has been that we need to have high esteem for both science and Scripture and we should never let one be the primary dictator of how the other is understood. When one allows science to determine how they read Scripture, which leads to an inconsistent or nonsensical hermeneutic, then Scripture ceases to be authoritative (i.e. this is just a myth or mere parable with no basis in actual history). Likewise, if someone wants to look at Scripture as though it were some sort of wooden document that ignores the presence of God around us in his creation, then that also leads to a strange hermeneutic that often does not consider the context, genre or intent of the authors as they wrote (i.e. the Scripture writer was giving us an exact timeline to trace back to the creation through the genealogies, and all the language must be viewed as completely literal depictions). To be sure, the authors were not 21st century scientists. Yet, that does not mean they were not communicating mere moral stories that have no foundation in actual historical events, either. Christians need to maintain a balance. I feel I have been consistent in that message throughout my conversations on this board.
I agree! :)

Again, I think this is how early Christian scientists understood things. They never had the notion that what they were researching in the world was separate from, contrary to or a means to guide their interpretation of the Scriptures. Both were seen as means to understand the mind, power, glory, and goodness of God.
No doubt, and there are Christian scientists who still do that today.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Funny thing is since we are descended from 2 parents, Adam and Eve, by all rights we have all commited incest as we are all literally brothers and sisters. Crazy isnt it.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's an excellent point. I get the impression from others that this is a big deal to their faith, and that were they to admit the reality of "billions of years and evolution"

Darwinian and neo Darwinian theory is not even science - it is metaphysics - and there are honest evolutionist that admit this fact, even admitting that natural selection is a tautology. aka circular reasoning.

Yet it’s presented as proven scientific fact.

And yes, I can back up what I said.