Bigger Than Life Humility

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This has been on my mind for a while. If someone is living right with God, they show it by living with such humility as to bring tears to those who are paying attention. I'll start off sharing 3 examples.

Rush Limbaugh: Just heard the podcast by Bo Sneardly. The day he announced to his staff and the world that he has a confirmed case of advanced lung cancer, he told both, his staff and the worldwide audience, that he is sorry for he feels he has let everyone down.

Let that sink in a moment. The man is dying and he is apologizing for it! He knew the treatment would mean some days he would not be here on the radio leading to the time when he will one day not be here at all. His thoughts were not of himself but of everyone he felt he was letting down - by dying. Death is a pretty good get out of jail card for being a bit self-centered but not for such bigger than life people.

Ronald Reagan: At the church service in his memory, his VP gave a eulogy. President Bush said he learned more about leadership in 8 years under Reagan than 50 years in public service. He broke down relaying this story the day after Reagan was shot.

Bush went to visit Reagan in the hospital, recovering from surgery which removed unexploded bullets from his chest cavity. When Bush entered the room, he saw the President of the United States on his hands and knees wearing the hospital gurney. Bush asked what he was doing. Reagan did not look up but kept intently cleaning up a spill with paper towels as he said, "I spilled water on the floor and did not want the nurse to get into trouble." Profound humility.

Jesus, the Anointed: Many focus on his sacrificial death but hours before, letting the Apostles know what was coming, he insisted on washing their feet! To me, it is easy to die for a worthy cause. To live with great humility is much, much more difficult.

If a televangelist caused a booming voice to say, 'this is my son, in whom I am much pleased,' walked on water, raised the dead to life, healed the sick, made the blind see, cripple walk, feed many with little, summoned angels and turned water into wine, I suspect their mansion could not be big enough. Yet, as an EOC friend pointed out, the Lord did not even have a pillow for his head.

God's grace flows through our humility and I wonder how much my ego blocks it in my life.

Reactions: The Parson