Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This verse confuses me. It seems contrary that people who are "poor" in spirit will receive the kingdom of Heaven. My inclination is to believe that Heaven is for those who are strong in spirit and who obey Jesus.

Can any of you make sense of it or link me to someone who can? Thanks in advance.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No need to look far and wide for the answer, your dog knows.

Matthew 15:26-28:
And he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread and cast it to the dogs. But she said, Yea, Lord: for even the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it done unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was healed from that hour.​

1 Corinthians 1:27:
But God chose the foolish things of the world, that he might put to shame them that are wise; and God chose the weak things of the world, that he might put to shame the things that are strong;​

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The poor are detached from the goods of this earth, so the “poor in spirit” are detached in their spirit, they don’t set their hearts on these things but rely on God!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"poor in spirit" means those who come to the Lord as beggars and not with pride.

We are to cast ourselves upon the mercies of our God; knowing that He reserves the right to save those whom He will and to condemn those whom He will.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This verse confuses me. It seems contrary that people who are "poor" in spirit will receive the kingdom of Heaven. My inclination is to believe that Heaven is for those who are strong in spirit and who obey Jesus.

Can any of you make sense of it or link me to someone who can? Thanks in advance.

Isaiah 66
1 Thus saith the Lord, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do we obtain mercy?
Through casting yourself upon the mercies of the Lord; and by believing in what He has done for you on the Cross in order to provide mercy and forgiveness (and that His justice might still be satisfied).

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Poor in spirit refers to a person who has an acute awareness of their frailty.....no pretence. Jesus illustrates this in his story of the Pharisee and the Publican in Luke 18:9-14

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's easy to say we are "poor in spirit," but it is indignity that tests what we really are. If we can't accept the humiliations imposed on us, we are far from such praiseworthy poverty.

Quote:
One day when Abba John the Dwarf was sitting in front of the church, the brethren were consulting him about their thoughts. One of the old men who saw it became a prey to jealousy and said to him, 'John, your vessel is full of poison.' Abba John without being upset said to him, 'That is very true, Abba; and you have said that when you only see the outside, but if you were able to see the inside, too, what would you have said then?'​

Reactions: faithfulness