Blessed Assurance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

This part.

Does the Spirit bear witness with your spirit that you are God's child? If so, how?

If not?

Much love!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Romans 8
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

This part.

Does the Spirit bear witness with your spirit that you are God's child? If so, how?

If not?

Much love!
Bondage to sin. Those who have been delivered know it; their love for righteousness outgrows their love for transgression. If this is not the case there has been no heart felt repentance; no humbling of the soul.

Fear is the result of bondage to sin. It is a self perpetuating cycle the power of which is not broken by trying harder.

Reactions: Scoot

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Romans 8

This part.

If not?

Much love!

I believe it does - in that those who have been saved have their spirit aligning with God's.

Our spirit hates sin (even though we may struggle with it in the flesh). We repent (choose to turn away from sin) because we hate it, just like He does.

Our spirit loves Him (and because of that love, desiring and seeing His Spirit's fruit become evident in our lives, and desiring to know the truth of His commandments so we can please Him).

Our spirit loving and caring for others even when they hate or persecute us because God loves them.

Our spirit desiring to know Him more, instead of rebelling against Him.

I believe someone truly saved when they read the bible - their spirit jumps at joy at the truth from bible scriptures, even when it goes against our flesh.

The list can go on, but in the end - our spirit aligns with His and becomes more at enemy with our flesh.

Reactions: marks

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Romans 8

This part.

If not?

Much love!

Hello @marks,

These questions, 'if so, how?' and 'if not? could lead a child of God to harmful introspection: in the search for that certain 'something', within her experience, which will give evidence to the fact that she does indeed have the Spirit of adoption. For the question 'if not?' brings with it the thought of, 'Why not?' Which can lead to a troubled spirit, and anxiety in a young believer.

There is no fear in the heart of the believer when approaching God, for we know that the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, is our Father 'in Him': but that comes by experience and is not always the experience of the young believer, who has not come into a full assurance of salvation; yet is none the less His child by grace.

I can't give you an answer to your question, 'how?' for it is a knowing that is wordless, and between me and my Saviour - born of faith and not feeling.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @marks,

These questions, 'if so, how?' and 'if not? could lead a child of God to harmful introspection: in the search for that certain 'something', within her experience, which will give evidence to the fact that she does indeed have the Spirit of adoption. For the question 'if not?' brings with it the thought of, 'Why not?' Which can lead to a troubled spirit, and anxiety in a young believer.

There is no fear in the heart of the believer when approaching God, for we know that the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, is our Father 'in Him': but that comes by experience and is not always the experience of the young believer, who has not come into a full assurance of salvation; yet is none the less His child by grace.

I can't give you an answer to your question, 'how?' for it is a knowing that is wordless, and between me and my Saviour - born of faith and not feeling.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your thoughts!

Faith and not feeling! Amen! Because feelings may not be approriate to the situation.

I heard a sermon recently on this, which inspired me to ask the question. This fellow's take on it was that as we've been joined to the Holy Spirit, His presence changes us in some fundamental ways, in particular, that we begin to desire God, and we begin to hate sin.

I think that we start in faith, and as we see our lives play out, we begin to have facts to add to that faith, such as what God works in us, or around us, or speaks to us.

I think that as our faith increases, we come to know God more and more personally, and, the fact is, if you know someone, then, you do.

Much love!