C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\desktop.ini

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
That file ring a bell?

Better yet, does that file send a shiver of terror through your heart?

If you have been on the web with an unpatched Windows 7 machine and your antivirus goes nuts about this file everytime you boot read my latest blog post. I teach you how to get rid of it. For good!

http://www.biggandyy...-get-rid-of-it/

It works.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I'm sure that's good advice. And it fixes the problem. But I have a better solution: get Linux. If there's some cherished applications that only Microsoft can run, then use a stand-alone Microsoft computer for just that, and then quickly shut it off before it gets the next virus and use the Linux for everything else (or dual boot, but Microsoft is sometimes attitudinal sharing with Linux and may not boot). There is a Linux application for most things anyway. No sense in risking cyber crime, identity theft or worse just by swiitching on the Microsoft despite the "updates" and "security software".

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:D

Tim, I used to be on the Linux bandwagon, but then I got a Mac. I'm sorry, but Mac and Windows just do it better when you go beyond just surfing the internet, etc. Security is debatable at best, because a lot of the issues I see are user error as opposed to major issues with the product. Linux has flown under the radar because it has a smaller market share. It's not bad for a nice internet surfing and basic typing functionality.

My disclaimer is that I am all about open source software, but Linux doesn't cut it when it comes to graphic design and even office tasks are somewhat limited.

Enjoy the blog Andy. Some of it is beyond me, but some of it is not. Remind me to ask you about any sysadmin help I need. I'm going to be working with server 08 @ work.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Well Hammerstone, I have no issues with Macs. They are also excellent OS's albeit expensive ones. Linux is free, so what do you expect for that? But I think you severely limit Linux and apparently don't want to admit it's capabilities. It depends what you want it to do, then programs can be created for it. The issue is not the OS, but the availability of software. IMO there's a lot of software out there for Linux and usually a comparible application for anything Microsoft or Mac has. Linux is well suited for running very complex industrial operations and networking. In addition, Linux works with devices out there, not that I have many. I only have a Nook reader, but it can't manage it's own files. I have to hook it up to a Linux or Mac computer because Microsoft can't understand the filing system of Android. As for Microsoft what good is Microsoft if you can get a virus "at the drop of a hat" and the solution is either format or expensive fixes for the more stubborn viruses? I found from my experience there's not point in enjoying anything that run on it if I'm walking on eggshells all the time wondering if it will be there tomorrow? I know, I've been there and done that with viruses.