Can Somebody Please Explain Roleplaying?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
It takes a bit of practice and time to get to know the residents. When I first started it was really difficult to get the hang of it. However demencia training help ( all the teams have to do regular courses ) It’s kind of second nature to me now x

It took some learning but dealing with my grandmother, it is better to keep up the act. How are her mom and dad doing, or her dead husband, or her dead 70 YO son she still thought to be a little boy... Unless she remembered on her own they are dead, they are still alive and were just in to visit.

Reactions: Rita

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It took some learning but dealing with my grandmother, it is better to keep up the act. How are her mom and dad doing, or her dead husband, or her dead 70 YO son she still thought to be a little boy... Unless she remembered on her own they are dead, they are still alive and were just in to visit.
That was what happened with my mother in law. So long as we didn't mention her daughter Karen who had died, she didn't go into fresh mourning.

Much love!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm glad you understood that I was joking, but I swear if you say one more word about Christmas I'm going to ask Santa for some duct tape. XD

250px-DuckTales_%28Main_title%29.jpg

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haha very funny,.. but you know I'm rather surprised that you didn't start typing out Silent Night as I pictured you doing. :p

Reactions: Josho
R

Rita

My mom had memory loss. But I have an interest in genealogy, and knew her history well into her childhood, and names of people she knew, things she did, places familiar to her.
It made communication with her easy, by going back to a time she could remember and bringing that up, and let her do most of the talking.

I'm sure family members could assist you in the same respect ... but could be more difficult, with having multiple "patients".

One thing I have Noticed visiting different "rest home" facilities, is observing patients, sitting alone, reacting to Older music, particularly songs kids "use" to regularly learn and patriot songs...noticing them singing along, tapping a foot, enjoying the moment.

Glory to God,
Taken
When a resident comes in we get info from the families, but the downside of our care home is the lack of communication between teams ( we have 95 residents in three communities) As a housekeeper I keep an eye out for clues or prompts for the photos , and have learned to ask carers for info at times. Music is invaluable, we have music in all areas on the demencia community. It’s music from the 60-70’s ( which is great because we all sing along as we work as we love the music as well ) The demencia floor is very community based, not many stay in their rooms x
Sad reality is that over the years I have heard some carers respond to residents in very helpful ways and they take things said by residents personally, which you should never do. I think I have been fired by one resident many times - sadly that lady is now 102 and end of life at the moment.
Rita

Reactions: marks and Taken

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When a resident comes in we get info from the families, but the downside of our care home is the lack of communication between teams ( we have 95 residents in three communities) As a housekeeper I keep an eye out for clues or prompts for the photos , and have learned to ask carers for info at times. Music is invaluable, we have music in all areas on the demencia community. It’s music from the 60-70’s ( which is great because we all sing along as we work as we love the music as well ) The demencia floor is very community based, not many stay in their rooms x
Sad reality is that over the years I have heard some carers respond to residents in very helpful ways and they take things said by residents personally, which you should never do. I think I have been fired by one resident many times - sadly that lady is now 102 and end of life at the moment.
Rita
@Rita Sad that some ppl's minds give out before the body does: a hard existence.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, that’s when it gets difficult. Many of our residents think other residents are their husbands or wives, but in most cases it doesn’t cross any lines ( but there have been a few that have and careers have to take measures to protect both residents )
Rita
@Rita It's sometimes said that when an elderly person loses his or her memory, if they are Christians, sometimes the last thing that will go is their consciousness of the Lord... You would know about that more than others, seeing as you work among the elderly.

R

Rita

@Rita It's sometimes said that when an elderly person loses his or her memory, if they are Christians, sometimes the last thing that will go is their consciousness of the Lord... You would know about that more than others, seeing as you work among the elderly.
Quite possibly, but that could be because the emotional memories are much stronger than the visual- hence why music can tap into the deeper part of your consciousness. They share a video at work of and very elderly lady in the very deep and disconnected world of advance demencia. A lady holds her hand and starts singing ‘ yes Jesus loves me ‘ and eventually the women starts to respond and sings along. Rita

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Quite possibly, but that could be because the emotional memories are much stronger than the visual- hence why music can tap into the deeper part of your consciousness. They share a video at work of and very elderly lady in the very deep and disconnected world of advance demencia. A lady holds her hand and starts singing ‘ yes Jesus loves me ‘ and eventually the women starts to respond and sings along. Rita
@Rita Very interesting...