Can you sell your soul to the devil?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
English Standard Version, Ezekiel 18:

4 Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine: the soul who sins shall die.
You cannot sell your soul in the legal transaction sense. Satan cannot own your soul.

Matthew 10:

28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
Satan can destroy a person's body.

Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Only God can destroy a person's soul.

However, metaphorically, you sell yourself to the devil by doing his evil will, John 8:

44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires.
But this is not a legal contract. You can always repent and turn to God.

In any case, no Christians should bargain with the devil. Doing so is a sin, James 4:

7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Matthew 4:

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9“All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”
10Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan!
Do not bargain with a liar.

For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’ ”
11Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.
Trust God. Keep your covenant with God.

Reactions: MA2444 and marks

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You cannot sell your soul in the legal transaction sense. Satan cannot own your soul.

Matthew 10:

However, metaphorically, you sell yourself to the devil by doing his evil will, John 8:

In any case, no Christians should bargain with the devil. Doing so is a sin, James 4:

Matthew 4:

I know a Christian who was quite good at lead guitar. He made an effort at giving his life to Christ, along with his wife and kids, and thought about starting up a Christian band. This was quite a few years ago.

Well, it didn't take place. He had said that the Devil told him he could be a big-time star in the secular world if he gave his life to him. Ultimately, he abandoned his wife and kids, along with his religion, and started up a travelling secular Rock band, replete with groupies.

But he never hit the big time. And I'm not sure he wanted to keep on serving the Devil either. The Devil's a liar.

At any rate, what the Devil promises ain't what it's cracked up to be. Quite often a person just wants to realize their dreams, and when they find out they can't control the rules, they go back to serving God.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mark 8, we lose our own soul when we gain the whole world, and about the love of the world , scriptures warn us what happens.

34 When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 35 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. 36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? 37 Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 38 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.”

1 John 2
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

If you love the world, then you will naturally hate Christ or not care. Christ is not of the world and His people are not of the world either.

2 Timothy 4
Demas departed from the faith. Love the world, this shows God is not your Father. Demas it seems loved the world and cared nothing for his own eternal soul. If he did not repent, he lost his own soul and went to Hell.

The Abandoned Apostle​

9 Be diligent to come to me quickly; 10 for Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world, and has departed for Thessalonica—Crescens for Galatia, Titus for Dalmatia. 11 Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is useful to me for ministry.

Reactions: Ziggy

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 10:

Matthew 4:

Dont need to do it as Satan can come into one in many ways, as we see from Gods Word...

Matthew 16:23
But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Mark 4:15
And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.

Luke 22:3
Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One is either a child of God or a child of the devil. They either serve the True and Living God or they serve the god of this world.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Genuine Christians will have the love of the Father within them as God indwells His people.
Fake Christians will not have that, they don't believe in Christ. There is always another Christ, a false Christ around to believe in, provided to you by the devil, and the true Christ says many are deceived.

4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.

23 “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you beforehand.

Jesus tells this to His disciples, so He knows the false christs to come will be very appealing, enough so that real disciples will be attracted to them. He says do not go after them.

2 John is written to saved persons.

7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8 Look to yourselves, that [c]we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward.

9 Whoever [d]transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

If a genuine saved Christian becomes deceived by an antichrist, they will not receive a full reward, they will still be saved. Why then be one of them that are scarcely saved as through fire with all their works burned up. Most likely a deceiving antichrist will not go so far off track to make a true disciple question the person or make them think such a person is a deceiving antichrist. See we have warnings, so Christ says some will listen to antichrists and their faith will be negatively affected. There have been and still are many false Christian cults

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Perhaps Romans 5 will help sort this out.

Death in Adam, Life in Christ​

12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned— 13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. 15 But the free gift is not like the [e]offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. 16 And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many [f]offenses resulted in justification. 17 For if by the one man’s [g]offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)

18 Therefore, as through [h]one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one[i] Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.

20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, 21 so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Perhaps Romans 5 will help sort this out.

Death in Adam, Life in Christ​

12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned— 13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. 15 But the free gift is not like the [e]offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. 16 And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many [f]offenses resulted in justification. 17 For if by the one man’s [g]offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)

18 Therefore, as through [h]one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one[i] Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.

20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, 21 so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Thanks for the reference. This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the quoted text.
  2. Selectively bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making. No need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole chapter.
This is what I do for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee you it will improve your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 10:

Matthew 4:

Yes, I can "sell my soul to the devil," so to speak. When I act selfishly, that is what I am doing.