CHRISTMAS TREE

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of us have Christmas ornaments that are removed from the family reliquaries once a year that are carefully placed on the tree and a bunch of other filler ornaments like glass balls that are easily crushed.
The sacred objects are once again carefully packed up after the season has ended and enter the reliquaries once again...to be held and admired and memory generation can begin anew next year. The rest are thrown on top as insulation of the true valuables underneath.

Satanic ritual in all of this?

Not hardly... except for an ex wife who threw away Frosty...she is definitely going to burn in hell for her treachery. Sure, he may have been missing a few strings and facial features but he was over forty years old already. He would be on my tree this year except for her obvious sacrilege.

Christmas trees are for memories on display. They remind us of people and moments in time that are precious to us.

Edited to add:

My ex wife knows that to this day she is NOT forgiven for her sacrilege and treachery of throwing away Frosty. My son reminds her every year.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I woke one night when I was 17 to find I was paralyzed with fear.
I couldn't move, I couldn't think.
Standing by the end of my bed was what looked like a 3 1/2 foot-tall Christmas tree.
It was covered with what looked like little flames.
I sensed there was something or someone in it.
The name Jesus dropped into my head and as fast a darkness disappears when A LIGHT IS TURNED ON, it was gone.
I rolled over and went back to sleep. :)

A burning bush?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hello all and Merry CHRISTmas.
There is a few verses I read years back and it made me wonder. Maybe some of you can possibly explain what you think of this verse and it's meaning:

Jeremiah 10:1-5
"1 Hear the word that the LORD speaks to you, O house of Israel. 2 This is what the LORD says:

“Do not learn the ways of the nations

or be terrified by the signs in the heavens,

though the nations themselves are terrified by them.3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless;

they cut down a tree from the forest;

it is shaped with a chisel

by the hands of a craftsman.4 They adorn it with silver and gold

and fasten it with hammer and nails,

so that it will not totter.5 Like scarecrows in a cucumber patch,

their idols cannot speak.

They must be carried

because they cannot walk.

Do not fear them, for they can do no harm,

and neither can they do any good.”

Is this where the modern day "Christmas tree" came from? I hope not as I do love a nicely decorated tree!! Any takers?

Very interesting @Nancy but I detect the shaping of an idol rather than an ordinary tree being adorned with gold and silver. The craftsmen would have been like the candle makers or bakers in their day. A common site for anyone who wanted a house idol or perhaps community Idol of sorts...Not sure of the validity of this link but definitely an interesting journey through history...History of Christmas Trees.

Reactions: Nancy

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald David Bruno I am not a JW nor a member of any other cultic religion. I am a believer and follower of Christ and as such, honestly, I don't care what everyone else is doing. I'd rather follow Him to the best of my ability. I'm not limited to celebrating Jesus on a certain day of the year or giving to others out of competition or obligation. I can give any day of the year, and celebrate Christ every day. :)

It doesn't harm you or anyone else here that I don't put up a tree and sing to it. I don't need to cut a tree down. I'd rather be out in God's creation and see that all of creation and the heavens declare His handiwork. :)

Edit: I didn't create a thread condemning others for celebrating Christmas with trees, red and green, lights, gift giving/receiving (imo, greed) ....santa, elves, and flying reindeer.
I just choose to follow the conviction of God on my heart not to do those things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very interesting @Nancy but I detect the shaping of an idol rather than an ordinary tree being adorned with gold and silver. The craftsmen would have been like the candle makers or bakers in their day. A common site for anyone who wanted a house idol or perhaps community Idol of sorts...Not sure of the validity of this link but definitely an interesting journey through history...History of Christmas Trees.
Hi Angelina,
I do agree, I just wanted to see what others thought by the detailed description. I am right now enjoying my 3 footer with the lights on and about to see if there is any eggnog left :D
I'll give the link a check out just for an "interesting journey through history"!
xo

Reactions: Pearl and Angelina

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the OT verse is relevant, tbh. Why would God not address something as important as how His Son in remembered? We are told in the NT that we are to partake of communion in remembrance of Him. But nowhere are we told to cut down a tree and decorate it in remembrance of Him.

BUT ...I'm not here to condemn. I'm just replying with my honest thoughts on the matter presented in the OP. None of us have everything right. That's why we need Christ.❤

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald David Bruno I am not a JW nor a member of any other cultic religion. I am a believer and follower of Christ and as such, honestly, I don't care what everyone else is doing. I'd rather follow Him to the best of my ability. I'm not limited to celebrating Jesus on a certain day of the year or giving to others out of competition or obligation. I can give any day of the year, and celebrate Christ every day. :)

It doesn't harm you or anyone else here that I don't put up a tree and sing to it. I don't need to cut a tree down. I'd rather be out in God's creation and see that all of creation and the heavens declare His handiwork. :)

Edit: I didn't create a thread condemning others for celebrating Christmas with trees, red and green, lights, gift giving/receiving (imo, greed) ....santa, elves, and flying reindeer.
I just choose to follow the conviction of God on my heart not to do those things.
Wonderful, I wasn't implying that you were a JW, just suspected others might read this post. No need to get angry. I put up trees and decorated them when my daughter was growing up. I am retired now, got rid of all my stuff when I moved out of California and retired. I haven't had a tree for 5 years and also celebrate Jesus everyday. I would say Texans are religious, this is the Bible belt and so lots of churches and 1/3 of the homes are decorated. I just made a sparkling sign that reflects the lights shining on it. It simply says, J E S U S.
No harm, no foul, I was just explaining how these traditions came about. Some on this thread believe this holiday is filled with paganism - thought I'd straighten them out. It has gotten away from it's true meaning, the birth of Jesus, our Savior. Some celebrate and some choose not to. It's a joyful season ... who knows, maybe God will let us have a real Birthday Party for Jesus up in heaven!

Last edited:

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello all and Merry CHRISTmas.
There is a few verses I read years back and it made me wonder. Maybe some of you can possibly explain what you think of this verse and it's meaning:

Jeremiah 10:1-5
"1 Hear the word that the LORD speaks to you, O house of Israel. 2 This is what the LORD says:

“Do not learn the ways of the nations

or be terrified by the signs in the heavens,

though the nations themselves are terrified by them.3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless;

they cut down a tree from the forest;

it is shaped with a chisel

by the hands of a craftsman.4 They adorn it with silver and gold

and fasten it with hammer and nails,

so that it will not totter.5 Like scarecrows in a cucumber patch,

their idols cannot speak.

They must be carried

because they cannot walk.

Do not fear them, for they can do no harm,

and neither can they do any good.”

Is this where the modern day "Christmas tree" came from? I hope not as I do love a nicely decorated tree!! Any takers?

Merry Christmas Nancy. That comes from the weeping prophet :)

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wonderful, I wasn't implying that you were a JW, just suspected others might read this post. No need to get angry. I put up trees and decorated them when my daughter was growing up. I am retired now, got rid of all my stuff when I moved out of California and retired in Texas. I haven't had a tree for 5 years and also celebrate Jesus everyday. I would say Texans are religious, this is the Bible belt and so lots of churches and 1/3 of the homes are decorated. I just made a sparkling sign that reflects the lights shining on it. It simply says, J E S U S.
No harm, no foul, I was just explaining how these traditions came about. Some on this thread believe this holiday is filled with paganism - thought I'd straighten them out. It has gotten away from it's true meaning, the birth of Jesus, our Savior. Some celebrate and some choose not to. It's a joyful season ... who knows, maybe God will let us have a real Birthday Party for Jesus up in heaven!

Hi Ronald, just curious why you would choose Texas over California for retirement if you don't mind me asking. It is nice to celebrate whatever season, we see through all things to him no matter what the world-people have to say. No one can tell another how to celebrate that is a decision we can make in our own minds to celebrate and see him in all things.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just because I might eat a hard boiled egg in the spring doesn't mean that I worship astarte...

Just because I put up a Christmas tree doesn't mean that I worship anyone else but God.

A christmas tree makes it feel like Christmas in my home. Especially since it is covered in memories of various Christmases past...how our family has always been focused on Jesus and faith.
YMMV

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Merry Christmas Nancy. That comes from the weeping prophet :)
Hi Soulman! Have not seen you and several others on here anymore. I hope you are doing good. Yes, Merry Christmas and hopefully, the New Year will bring better things.
I had to look up "The Weeping prophet" Jeremiah 13:17
So good to see a familiar oldie but goodie :)
See you round the hood!

Reactions: soul man

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I did not know evergreens grow in all do states! Hardy trees. I see they were introduced to America later than other countries (Christmas trees, not pines).
Oh well, Happy New Year sister!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Soulman! Have not seen you and several others on here anymore. I hope you are doing good. Yes, Merry Christmas and hopefully, the New Year will bring better things.
I had to look up "The Weeping prophet" Jeremiah 13:17
So good to see a familiar oldie but goodie :)
See you round the hood!

How is Helen and the gang have you seen them?

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Ronald, just curious why you would choose Texas over California for retirement if you don't mind me asking. It is nice to celebrate whatever season, we see through all things to him no matter what the world-people have to say. No one can tell another how to celebrate that is a decision we can make in our own minds to celebrate and see him in all things.
A list of qualities of life.
1. The price for a brand new 3 bedroom brick home with a nice yard was $150k. Torrance , Ca. Would cost 5-6 times that.
2. Conservative state.
3. Economy
4. MANY great cities, clean and safe.
5. Clean air, more land, space, much less congested, less traffic. LA & Orange counties have about 14 million people - I had enough of that.
6. As you can see, cities in California are suffering due to Democrat run governments. The whole state is turning into a sanctuary state. Whatever good/ quality of life remaining in San Francisco is difficult to enjoy when you smell urine and feces, with thousands of homeless people setting up a tent wherever they want. When I was growing up, there was a law against vagrancy.
7. People wave hi, are polite and generally grow up with a good work ethic - no free hand outs.
8. Clean lakes and rivers - I need to be near water.
9. When I moved here, I felt, this was America, more onservayive and patriotic people. Liberalism flows through California so much that true American culture is swept under the carpet. It's multiculturalism that has invaded and overshadowed our values, morals and culture.
10. We get more rain. I love the clouds and stars - always fascinated by the beautiful blue sky - LA was so polluted.

Please don't tell anyone!

Reactions: TLHKAJ and soul man

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. The price for a brand new 3 bedroom brick home with a nice yard was $150k. Torrance , Ca. Would cost 5-6 times that.
2. Conservative state.
3. Economy
5. Clean air, more land, space, much less congested, less traffic. LA & Orange counties have about 14 million people - I had enough of that.
6. As you can see, cities in California are suffering due to Democrat run governments. The whole state is turning into a sanctuary state. Whatever good/ quality of life remaining in San Francisco is difficult to enjoy when you smell urine and feces, with thousands of homeless people setting up a tent wherever they want. When I was growing up, there was a law against vagrancy.
7. People wave hi, are polite and generally grow up with a good work ethic - no free hand outs.
9. When I moved here, I felt, this was America, more onservayive and patriotic people. Liberalism flows through California so much that true American culture is swept under the carpet. It's multiculturalism that has invaded and overshadowed our values, morals and culture.
10. We get more rain. I love the clouds and stars - always fascinated by the beautiful blue sky - LA was so polluted.

I grew up in southern Cally, my mom and sisters are still there. Good place to grow up at one time, at least where we were. When you live in the hussle and bussle the slower pace life is very appealing.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2. Conservative state.
3. Economy

Idk if you've noticed those extra wide shoulders on Texas highways. It's very common for someone who may be driving a bit slow/not in a rush to move over to the shoulder to let someone pass and give a friendly wave and a smile as they pass. :)
Texas...it's a whole 'nother country! Don't mess with Texas! :D lol

PS...idk why anyone would want to live in CA unless God directed them.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is Helen and the gang have you seen them?
Helen has not been well. We are all concerned about her. I did write her yesterday but, no answer back. Bbyrd has been banned :( Amadeus is still on a fair amount. Really do hate wondering about Helen. I would call her but, do not want to bother her.
Still praying for her to be well. It's sad to see many of our regulars leave. Of course, we know Willie T. is with the Lord now...I do miss Rollo and God's Grace too.
Glad to see you back Soulman!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Helen has not been well. We are all concerned about her. I did write her yesterday but, no answer back. Bbyrd has been banned :( Amadeus is still on a fair amount. Really do hate wondering about Helen. I would call her but, do not want to bother her.
Still praying for her to be well. It's sad to see many of our regulars leave. Of course, we know Willie T. is with the Lord now...I do miss Rollo and God's Grace too.
Glad to see you back Soulman!

Sad to hear Helen is well and hope she will soon be back with us all. I miss seeing who's around as the 'new post' board moves so fast and perhaps like my new threads don't show up.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sad to hear Helen is well and hope she will soon be back with us all. I miss seeing who's around as the 'new post' board moves so fast and perhaps like my new threads don't show up.

I am with you there Pat, although I see your threads...unless I missed one or two?
And yes, the "new post's" board does move fast, lol. I sometimes open two browsers so as to look back at what ever post that might have caught my eye and, don't want to lose it, lol.
I do wish Helen or Dave would drop us a line to update us...until then, we shall keep praying for her.
xx

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl