Clearly....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A little study to help determine how we should take care in declaring, "clearly this is true." ;)

I found it interesting, having spent a little time studying philosophy, looking at what the Bible says is "certain." A lot of philosophy consists of trying to figure out what we can be certain of. Philosophy considers important things like sensory experience, or things in the world relative to our sensory organs, along with our subjective experience.

I found the following passage interesting, in this regard, because it talks about things man kind can universally find certain, even though there remain unbelievers. Strikingly, Paul finds no contradiction in a certainty in "seeing" the *invisible God!* In other words, subjective experience is virtually as certain as what our senses perceive!...

Rom 1.20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen/non-turbid [kathoratai], being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

So we can "clearly see" what is invisible about God! ;) We should not be afraid to declare things of faith even though they are unseen.

We see this clarity also in the river of the water of life in the New Jerusalem...

Rev 22.1 Then the angel showed me the (pure/non-turbid) [katharos] river of the water of life, as clear/splendid (lampron) as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

The following passages indicate things are made clear as a logical deduction based on appearances (deelos). We should not be afraid of making *logical deductions.*

1 Cor 15.27 For he “has put everything under his feet.” Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear (manifestly evident) [deelos] that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ.

Gal 3.11 Clearly (logically) [deelos] no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.”

2 Tim 3.9 But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear (apparent) [ekdeelos] to everyone.

Heb 7.14 For it is clear (obvious) [prodeelon] that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests.

Heb 7.15 And what we have said is even more clear (apparent) [katadeelon] if another priest like Melchizedek appears.

2 Pet 1.14 because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear (made apparent) [edeelosen] to me.

The following passages indicate that things are clear as a demonstrative manifestation. We should try to make something obviously true, as well as logical.

2 Cor 11.6 I may indeed be untrained as a speaker, but I do have knowledge. We have made this perfectly clear (manifestly evident) [phanero] to you in every way.

Col 4.4 Pray that I may proclaim it clearly (self-evidently manifest) [phanero], as I should.

Phil 1.13 As a result, it has become clear (self-evidently manifest) [phaneros] throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ.

Another form of making clear is something previously documented. We should be ready to back things up with Scriptures.

Gal 3.1 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed (previously documented) [proegraphe] as crucified.

Another form of making clear is something revealed. We should recognize that clarity requires divine revelation.

Phil 3.15 All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear (reveal) [apokalupsei] to you.

Another form of making clear is verbally asserting or declaring. We should recognize that words can have power to make clear.

1 Tim 4.1 The Spirit clearly says (in words) [retos] that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.

Another form of making clear is explaining or interpreting. Making clear can be a studied exercise.

Heb 5.11 We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear (difficult to explain or interpret) [dysermeneutos} to you because you no longer try to understand.

Another form of making clear is to point out or visually show. Visuals are important to prove some things.

Heb 6.17 Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear (visually show/physically prove) [epideixai] to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath.

Another form of making clear is via the symbolic use of a sea of glass with crystal transparency, as well as to the New Jerusalem, with a splendid/non-turbid river. The Bible uses symbols to show the importance of purity in clarifying things.

Rev 4.6 Also in front of the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as crystal [krystalio]. In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back.

Rev 21.11 It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal [krystallizonti].

Here, the crystal is connected to its splendid clarity.

Rev 22.1 Then the angel showed me the (pure/non-turbid) [katharos] river of the water of life, as clear/splendid (lampron) as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

If this helps nobody else, it helped me! :) I'm not well-acquainted with Greek, but even the novice can make certain deductions from the manifold internet resources!

Reactions: marks

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is a great topic, the abuse of the term "clearly" in describing how the Bible reads.

A lot of philosophy consists of trying to figure out what we can be certain of.
Epistemology is the branch of philosophy dealing with the limits of knowledge.
Strikingly, Paul finds no contradiction in a certainty in "seeing" the *invisible God!* In other words, subjective experience is virtually as certain as what our senses perceive!...
Hmmm. I think you are confusing the personal experience of a witness with scientifically repeatable - and therefore, not subjective - experiment. The nature of miracles is that they are not repeatable.

Said differently, no one can objectively deny Paul's claim of what he experienced.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is a great topic, the abuse of the term "clearly" in describing how the Bible reads.
Thank you. Obviously, it was my interest. I probably use the term "clearly" too much myself! ;)
Epistemology is the branch of philosophy dealing with the limits of knowledge.
Yes, Descartes opened the can of worms in the modern era, but questions about "knowledge" exists back in the age of Greek philosophical speculation. I think when you get to Berkeley or Kant, the questions about what we can know seemed to get kind of ridiculous, although I know they were sincere in resolving the "can of worms."
Hmmm. I think you are confusing the personal experience of a witness with scientifically repeatable - and therefore, not subjective - experiment. The nature of miracles is that they are not repeatable.
I use "subjectivity" a bit more loosely, referring to "personal experience" of things not scientifically verifiable. For example, I could experience a depressed mood, but how can I verify that scientifically? It may show up in various behaviors or brain patterns, but it is largely a non-scientific assertion of sorts. It is trans-physical, or not visible.

When we experience God we are actually experiencing a Spirit that we cannot scientifically prove to others. God is trans-physical and invisible. That is, the experience *I have* cannot be proven to you. It is visible to you as a set of hypothetical symptoms, but not scientific proof. I could be lying. I can't be lying when I say the sun just came up. :)
Said differently, no one can objectively deny Paul's claim of what he experienced.
I suppose this is a semantical difference? What Paul saw was both subjective and objective, in a sense. God is an objective reality, but trans-sensual with respect to our physical senses. Obviously, truth is objective from the standpoint of our ESP. Normally, ESP is trash. But in the case of God and Man, we were made to connect to God on a spiritual basis, whatever that means.