Compassion in Old Testament

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

beforHim

Jun 18, 2007
People always seem to see "the God of the OT" as a "God of Wrath". A boy today in a class I was substituting said, " 'I like God. He's compassionate!' then I remember the OT!".Can I please get as many examples from the OT of God's compassion.1) Try for examples of compassion to gentiles esp., not just Israel2) Try for examples which show more compassion than the examples of God's wrath show his wrath.3) Also need examples of His wrath in the NT.4) Also, explinations for why he was wrathcul in those places in the OT- eg slay all but virgins, kill everything that breathes, stone father and entire family, every man kill His brother, "virgins will be ripped open, babies dashed against rocks", etc.Thx a ton.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
If you understand the Whole plan of God and who was being slayed you would realize the Whole OT is compassionate the people that were slayed were Idol worshipers offspring of fallen Angels, descendants of Cain, they practiced cannibalism, and human sacrifice God wanted them killed to save us so they would not pollute the world with abominations of their deeds.Secondly God doesnt look at flesh death as we do to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord so in sense he said send then home to me.Fear not he who can kill your flesh body fear he that can destroy your soul anothers words if you practiced these abominations your very soul was in danger so he had them killed

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
And to kind of say what Kriss said, Imagine your Mom,Maman(French) Or however you say it elsewhere,Punishing you to keep you from doing wrong later. This is what God did,to protect us in the future so we to would not share the fate of the unbelievers etc.

beforHim

Jun 18, 2007
But what about specefic acts of compassion? Like when Elisha blinded all those guys, led them into Samaria, fed them all, then let them go. I need specefic acts of kindness and compassion.

zadzial

Mar 23, 2008
How about: bringing the Israelites out from slavery to Egypt; Daniel in the lion's den and his friends in the fiery furnace, Jonah going to Ninevah; the story in Joshua of Rahab, the gentile prostitue; the story of Ruth (who was a gentile); saving Lot from Sodam and Gomorrah; saving Joseph from his brothers and bringing him to Egypt, blessing him so that he eventually became second to Pharoah and through his administration of the food saved a lot of people including Jacob and his sons.