Confidence

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him. 1 John 5:14-15

The Old Testament word for confidence is synonymous with the word trust. Confidence can be misplaced, for example when our confidence is placed in men, riches, or our own might etc. When we do this and the battle gets tough, and that misplaced confidence is exposed as shallow and worthless, we can become dejected and weak and losing our very ability to be confident. In other words, we lose our confidence in the sense of the New Testament definition of the word, and that is connotated with boldness. Thus a misplaced confidence leads to a loss of confidence.

Our own strength and will is the area we misplace our confidence in the most. The very thing we think will make us overcome a situation or sin or battle is the very thing that makes us lose confidence. This is why so many people continually fall back into the same sins over and over again, a misplaced confidence leads to a loss of confidence.

In heavy prayer last night over things I have no control of, I experienced this loss of confidence, I did not realize that my confidence was misplaced to begin with, assuming I had control of the situation, when in fact it was in God's hands. I do not have the power to control the circumstances God does, my confidence lies in His ability to do according to His will, and he will not do so on my timeline but on his perfect timeline.... I am confident of this now.

When you learn this little secret you Will learn how to pray with confidence, Both with trust and with boldness.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him. 1 John 5:14-15

The Old Testament word for confidence is synonymous with the word trust. Confidence can be misplaced, for example when our confidence is placed in men, riches, or our own might etc. When we do this and the battle gets tough, and that misplaced confidence is exposed as shallow and worthless, we can become dejected and weak and losing our very ability to be confident. In other words, we lose our confidence in the sense of the New Testament definition of the word, and that is connotated with boldness. Thus a misplaced confidence leads to a loss of confidence.

Our own strength and will is the area we misplace our confidence in the most. The very thing we think will make us overcome a situation or sin or battle is the very thing that makes us lose confidence. This is why so many people continually fall back into the same sins over and over again, a misplaced confidence leads to a loss of confidence.

In heavy prayer last night over things I have no control of, I experienced this loss of confidence, I did not realize that my confidence was misplaced to begin with, assuming I had control of the situation, when in fact it was in God's hands. I do not have the power to control the circumstances God does, my confidence lies in His ability to do according to His will, and he will not do so on my timeline but on his perfect timeline.... I am confident of this now.

When you learn this little secret you Will learn how to pray with confidence, Both with trust and with boldness.

Nice insightful post.....reminds me of a joke....

“ Wanna make God laugh? Tell Him your “ plans”....

Reactions: marks and David H.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks BB,
Exactly, we cannot force God to act on our behalf, we just have trust (Have confidence) That He will.

This reminds me of another verse, "hope deferred makes the heart sick". Setting our hopes on the wrong things will lead us down that road.

We can have confidence in His love for us, and in that we will never be wrong.

Much love!

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a difference between having confidence and being overconfident. They are not the same thing. Need to place it all in the Lord no matter what.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a difference between having confidence and being overconfident. They are not the same thing. Need to place it all in the Lord no matter what.

If our confidence is in the LORD, can we be overconfident?

BTW, just curious but what is the "encounter team" first time I have seen that banner.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If our confidence is in the LORD, can we be overconfident?

BTW, just curious but what is the "encounter team" first time I have seen that banner.

I think we can be overconfident, yes. But it’s more like…questioning, why? Like, if God has revealed this to me, and I’ve been faithful, why is such and such happening? Along the lines of John the Baptist after he was imprisoned, questioning if Jesus was the one. Jesus’ answer of blessed is he who doesn’t take offense (at what is happening to him because of Me) is a world of information, really.

There’s a great example of not being overconfident with the man who said, God will save me from this, but even if He doesn’t, I will still worship Him. I will not take offense if He allows this to happen.

Then there also is sometimes overconfidence that we know exactly what will happen, because a lot of the time it doesn’t all happen as we imagine it will. We can be very convinced we know exactly what God has said to us when we have really made a whole lot of assumptions. Boy oh boy, have I ever been there, so sure God had said something to me and so sure I knew exactly what He said, when really, there was no unmistakable thundering voice or an actual visitation, but assumptions of what He must have been saying.

Last edited:

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looking through the scriptures I would totally agree that confidence means trust, not in ourselves but in the Lord and others should have confidence in us also. Phil.1:25; 2 Cor.2:3; Philemon 1:21;2 Cor.7:16; Heb.10:35 ECT.

It was once that a man's word was his bond or trust, if an honourable hard working man who loved his family and community told you he gave his word, usually that was enough.

Yet the God of ALL has given HIS WORD ,and fulfilled EVERY WORD thus far but ppl discount
it or call it irrevelant to today.
This doesn't mean he discounts it but will bring all to a close fulfilling all things he has said!

If we stand in the word, wait on the Lord and listen for the right signal it is hard to be misled of the Spirit. Therefore our confidence in him should be sure and secure.

Having confidence in ones own self can be very misleading for some have false bravado and are fakes or follow after the wrong spirits. It is humbleness that should reign supreme in our being at these times. It is easy to be puffed up and feel superior if God is urging you to do a thing. It must align with the word and must be sanctioned by the Spirit to be productive.

Living in the flesh is a hard thing for the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak and we are pressing forward to obtain the mark ,We are not there yet !

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looking through the scriptures I would totally agree that confidence means trust, not in ourselves but in the Lord and others should have confidence in us also. Phil.1:25; 2 Cor.2:3; Philemon 1:21;2 Cor.7:16; Heb.10:35 ECT.

It was once that a man's word was his bond or trust, if an honourable hard working man who loved his family and community told you he gave his word, usually that was enough.

Yet the God of ALL has given HIS WORD ,and fulfilled EVERY WORD thus far but ppl discount
This doesn't mean he discounts it but will bring all to a close fulfilling all things he has said!

If we stand in the word, wait on the Lord and listen for the right signal it is hard to be misled of the Spirit. Therefore our confidence in him should be sure and secure.

Having confidence in ones own self can be very misleading for some have false bravado and are fakes or follow after the wrong spirits. It is humbleness that should reign supreme in our being at these times. It is easy to be puffed up and feel superior if God is urging you to do a thing. It must align with the word and must be sanctioned by the Spirit to be productive.

Living in the flesh is a hard thing for the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak and we are pressing forward to obtain the mark ,We are not there yet !

I think we can be overconfident, yes. But it’s more like…questioning, why? Like, if God has revealed this to me, and I’ve been faithful, why is such and such happening? Along the lines of John the Baptist after he was imprisoned, questioning if Jesus was the one. Jesus’ answer of blessed is he who doesn’t take offense (at what is happening to him because of Me) is a world of information, really.

There’s a great example of not being overconfident with the man who said, God will save me from this, but even if He doesn’t, I will still worship Him. I will not take offense if He allows this to happen.

Then there also is sometimes overconfidence that we know exactly what will happen, because a lot of the time it doesn’t all happen as we imagine it will. We can be very convinced we know exactly what God has said to us when we have really made a whole lot of assumptions. Boy oh boy, have I ever been there, so sure God had said something to me and so sure I knew exactly what He said, when really, there was no unmistakable thundering voice or an actual visitation, but assumptions of what He must have been saying.

Thank you both for these words of advice, they are heaven sent. Right now, I am in a time of waiting on the LORD, and placing my confidence in the LORD, I cannot force his hand, but I know what he has shown me, and I know he is the one that will carry this out, I Just have to wait and trust in his ability to do so. Please pray for me here, as there are many uncertainties and trials ahead for me, my first transplant appointment is tomorrow where soon we find out if the donor is a match or not, Many in the medical profession nowadays do not like us anti vaxers as we are the outcasts of the medical establishment which is beholden to the money of big Pharma, Pray that the Doctors and nurses are sympathetic at the very least to my stand on this. My anxiety level is high regarding this.

Then there is the surgery should everything work out which is high risk, the anti-rejection meds destroy the immune system of the person receiving the transplant. So if it is my time to go, I will be going home to be with the LORD, But if not.... To Live is Christ. My Confidence lies in the fact that God has shown me I have a mission to complete, he does not need me to accomplish this mission, but he has shown me it is for me, and that he will carry it out through me, for His glory, taking this broken vessel and using it for his glory.

My heart is heavy right now regarding all these things so please keep me in your prayers.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Make us glad according to the days wherein thou hast afflicted us, and the years wherein we have seen evil.
Let thy work appear unto thy servants, and thy glory unto their children.
And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it. (Psalm 90:15-17)

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Make us glad according to the days wherein thou hast afflicted us, and the years wherein we have seen evil.
Let thy work appear unto thy servants, and thy glory unto their children.
And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it. (Psalm 90:15-17)

Thank you, LORD, for giving me this passage just now! You know how many years of affliction I have lived through.... You will restore the years of the locust and the cankerworm.... That all will know you are in the midst of your people.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d Reminds me of Isaiah 30.15: " For thus saith the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength".

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you both for these words of advice, they are heaven sent. Right now, I am in a time of waiting on the LORD, and placing my confidence in the LORD, I cannot force his hand, but I know what he has shown me, and I know he is the one that will carry this out, I Just have to wait and trust in his ability to do so. Please pray for me here, as there are many uncertainties and trials ahead for me, my first transplant appointment is tomorrow where soon we find out if the donor is a match or not, Many in the medical profession nowadays do not like us anti vaxers as we are the outcasts of the medical establishment which is beholden to the money of big Pharma, Pray that the Doctors and nurses are sympathetic at the very least to my stand on this. My anxiety level is high regarding this.

Then there is the surgery should everything work out which is high risk, the anti-rejection meds destroy the immune system of the person receiving the transplant. So if it is my time to go, I will be going home to be with the LORD, But if not.... To Live is Christ. My Confidence lies in the fact that God has shown me I have a mission to complete, he does not need me to accomplish this mission, but he has shown me it is for me, and that he will carry it out through me, for His glory, taking this broken vessel and using it for his glory.

My heart is heavy right now regarding all these things so please keep me in your prayers.

I don't know your heart, David but God does and he knows your desire to be of service.

I know the enemy would like very much for you to have overwhelming fear but I pray the peace of God will coat your heart and mind like a heavy ointments soothes a wound. As you have said it is in his hands and oh the glory to be done here is always a joyous thought.

Rest assured that at the time of your transplant God who formed and made this wondrous body will be overseeing your surgery.
We are praying and I know there are prayer warriors here for I feel their prayers touching Him as he touches me.

I'll help shoulder your fear and pain as best I can for we all are of one body and must be self- less in our care and love.

God has got you and this, peace and rest David!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know your heart, David but God does and he knows your desire to be of service.

I know the enemy would like very much for you to have overwhelming fear but I pray the peace of God will coat your heart and mind like a heavy ointments soothes a wound. As you have said it is in his hands and oh the glory to be done here is always a joyous thought.

Rest assured that at the time of your transplant God who formed and made this wondrous body will be overseeing your surgery.
We are praying and I know there are prayer warriors here for I feel their prayers touching Him as he touches me.

I'll help shoulder your fear and pain as best I can for we all are of one body and must be self- less in our care and love.

God has got you and this, peace and rest David!

Obviously, my plans are not God's plans, I am now in deep sorrow, as nothing is coming to fruition as I hoped it would. I Guess I am still in the trial in the wilderness and I have failed, and have fallen victim to my own hopes and dreams. Please pray for me.

How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me? Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death; Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved. Psalm 13:1-4

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obviously, my plans are not God's plans, I am now in deep sorrow, as nothing is coming to fruition as I hoped it would. I Guess I am still in the trial in the wilderness and I have failed, and have fallen victim to my own hopes and dreams. Please pray for me.

How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me? Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death; Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved. Psalm 13:1-4
I'd like to suggest that you are in the exact place you need to be in, and that as you seek the Lord where you are you will find His gift in it.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@David H.

Our confidence should be in the LORD Himself, and not in our hoped-for outcome. To know that through the greatest trials come the greatest gifts, in faith, in knowledge, in coming to know God's love for us.

I know you know these things, I merely hope to remind you.

I remember my sister's testimony, "I never understood how much the Lord loved me until I was dying of cancer." She went to Him a couple of years ago. He didn't heal her body, but He gave her the wonderful awareness of His great love.

Much love!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This has put such a heaviness on me since I read it earlier today. And honestly, it’s not learning of an upcoming medical procedure that has produced that heaviness. I know God takes each of us, in whatever way He takes us and however He allows it to happen, according to His own plan and knowledge and the number of our days here which only He knows, so it’s not that, because you will die or not die only if or not if it is the time He has appointed. It’s…your sorrow and regret at having your trust tested that is so heavy. I don’t want you to have that heaviness and loss of peace with any trial or test. I want you to…remain steadfast and firm in trust in this trial and know He allows it TO make you steadfast so no one will take your crown and so that you will lack nothing. I want you to not be surprised at this trial that has come upon you to test your trust as if it’s a bad thing because the testing of our trust is a good thing, to prove us and bless us and keep us. I don’t want you to be anxious about it but to pray about it instead so His peace will guard your heart and mind.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

you’re upset that you thought you were no longer in the desert having your trust tested and thinking you have failed the test, but you ARE currently in the test so you have not failed it by being disheartened or by having some disquiet. Remaining steadfast in trust despite the disquietness that comes at testing IS the passing of the test.