Consistent Walk in the Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 3:1-5 KJV
1) If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2) Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
3) For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4) When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
5) Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

As children of God, we have two modes of thinking, according to the flesh, and according to the Spirit. This is to say we have either fleshy thoughts or spiritual thoughts.

Earthy thoughts or heavenly thoughts.

When we are being spiritual, we know love, we know joy, we know peace, faithfulness, kindness, gentleness, patience, we know self-control.

When we are being fleshy, we do not.

If we do not know love, and joy, and peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, self-control, it is because we are in our fleshy mind, not spiritual mind.

We're told here to mortify our members that are upon the earth. Kind of an odd thing to say, isn't it? Our members on the earth? This literally means "body parts", an arm, a leg, an eye, like that.

But then, he's just finished saying that we've died, and we are hid with Christ in God. Yet we have members upon the earth and we are to put them to death.

Mortify therefore you members upon the the earth . . . "Therefore"

Why then are we to put our members to death? Because we've died, and we are hid with Christ in God, and when He appears, we will appear with Him.

We're no longer part of this world, and when we think like we are, that's with the fleshy mind. I find it is meaningful to me to remind myself, if I'm not trusting God, that's the fleshy mind. If I'm not being loving, that's the fleshy mind. Impatient, grumbling, fleshy mind. Worried, coniving, demanding, demeaning, all fleshy mind.

"Taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ", first we have to be able to recognize when we've dropped into that fleshy mind.

What do you find important in maintaining a spiritual walk?

Much love!

Reactions: dev553344 and Pearl

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1) If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
4) When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
5) Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

As children of God, we have two modes of thinking, according to the flesh, and according to the Spirit. This is to say we have either fleshy thoughts or spiritual thoughts.

When we are being spiritual, we know love, we know joy, we know peace, faithfulness, kindness, gentleness, patience, we know self-control.

If we do not know love, and joy, and peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, self-control, it is because we are in our fleshy mind, not spiritual mind.

We're told here to mortify our members that are upon the earth. Kind of an odd thing to say, isn't it? Our members on the earth? This literally means "body parts", an arm, a leg, an eye, like that.

But then, he's just finished saying that we've died, and we are hid with Christ in God. Yet we have members upon the earth and we are to put them to death.

Why then are we to put our members to death? Because we've died, and we are hid with Christ in God, and when He appears, we will appear with Him.

We're no longer part of this world, and when we think like we are, that's with the fleshy mind. I find it is meaningful to me to remind myself, if I'm not trusting God, that's the fleshy mind. If I'm not being loving, that's the fleshy mind. Impatient, grumbling, fleshy mind. Worried, coniving, demanding, demeaning, all fleshy mind.

"Taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ", first we have to be able to recognize when we've dropped into that fleshy mind.

Much love!

We can't maintain a spiritual walk unless we have been translated miraculously into that level of walk. We can maintain a righteous walk since that is in our power to do. We can be humble and honest...and this is required of us. We will be judged by what we have done with what we have been given.

But only the keeping power of God can keep us in a walk in resurrection life. The only thing that is within our control once we are walking like Jesus....is to keep the priority of eternal things before our eyes and NOT look back. Whoever looks back is not worthy of that level of walk. Looking back leads to a fall from that level of grace so that we come back into a walk in our own strength...a walk that is dependent on OUR bearing our own cross.

When we are crucified with Christ, we have nothing to bear but the reproaches of those who love this life more than the truth.

Reactions: faithfulness

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can't maintain a spiritual walk unless we have been translated miraculously into that level of walk.

This power is given to us in the Holy Spirit. Do you not believe that by trusting Jesus that He empowers us now to walk in the Spirit, that we can actually walk in the Spirit?

Colossians 1:12-13 KJV
12) Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
13) Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

I believe that when God gives us these commands, "be holy, for God is holy", that He enables us to fulfill them, only, be it to you according to your faith.

Some, God gives a faith gift that enables them to walk consistently in the Spirit. God showed me what this looks like in that way. Then He showed me how we live in that place by faith, by removing it and then training me.

We truly can live victoriously, only, it's so different, I think people fall back into the earthy fleshy mindset without realizing it.

Much love!

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We truly can live victoriously, only, it's so different, I think people fall back into the earthy fleshy mindset without realizing it.

Satan exists. The devil will fight you tooth and nail to deny you of what you deserve.

1 Peter 5:8

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This power is given to us in the Holy Spirit. Do you not believe that by trusting Jesus that He empowers us now to walk in the Spirit, that we can actually walk in the Spirit?

Colossians 1:12-13 KJV
12) Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
13) Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

I believe that when God gives us these commands, "be holy, for God is holy", that He enables us to fulfill them, only, be it to you according to your faith.

Some, God gives a faith gift that enables them to walk consistently in the Spirit. God showed me what this looks like in that way. Then He showed me how we live in that place by faith, by removing it and then training me.

Much love!

This issue of walking in the Spirit reveals a crisis of faith in today's church. We can see the fault lines in 2 ways.

1. There is an outright denial of the resurrection walk by MANY believers these days. It is a crisis of faith whereby people feel comfortable to maintain unbelief in spite of the biblical witness.

This is direct confrontation with holiness.

2. Some believers will downgrade the spiritual walk in order to agree with the bible but in a superficial way. With time we learn to be more gentle, more understanding, exercising more self-control...etc These things come with age. But how is that different in fruit than older people of religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism...etc? Are there not many godly people among them? Is the fruit we are producing of a whole OTHER order? Or are we just improving on our own walks by the taming of the flesh?

We see here a direct confrontation with righteousness.(by claiming to be doing more than we actually are)

Righteousness should not be confused with holiness. Being honest and maintaining such honesty in the face of a holy standard...makes one righteous in God's eyes.

The walk in the Spirit is not like an up and down walk in the flesh. Christ's perfection is not faded in and out of. One does not need to be "prayed up" or read the Bible for building up the inner man if one is already walking in the keeping power of Christ. Falling from such a high place is traumatic...and the entrance into the Spirit is dramatic...whereby the the outer man is pinned to the wall so that the weak inner man can walk in the light of an eternal life.

What has changed in our time is that people have become more "democratic"...people hate to think they are not able to do what others can. There is a remarkable lack of humility and fear of the Lord today...and these markers show how far the church has fallen from it's original place of BOTH holiness (for those called into the spiritual walk) AND righteousness (among those who meekly seek to do what is possible to do in their own strength). We need BOTH the saints AND the faithful brethren.We need both the saints and the righteous. One is the fire and the other is the heat given off by the fire.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: faithfulness

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Much love!
Only this morning I was reading Matthew 28 and verse 20 where Jesus says, "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
And was awed by the fact that the Holy Spirit is with me all the time.

As to you question at the end, I think reading your bible regularly and praying about everything is vital to the success of our spiritual walk with God.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B. and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan exists. The devil will fight you tooth and nail to deny you of what you deserve.

1 Peter 5:8
So true! The attacks from our enemies in the spiritual realm, and the allure of the world, and the lusts of our flesh, all war against us. We can always walk in triumph when we trust in Jesus.

Much love!

Reactions: Episkopos

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. There is an outright denial of the resurrection walk by MANY believers these days. It is a crisis of faith whereby people feel comfortable to maintain unbelief in spite of the biblical witness.
Yes, I see this way too much! I think some become so discouraged that they stop seeing a true spiritual walk as attainable. And I think there are very many who are poorly taught, and don't realize what God has made available to them.

I know that described me for a long time! But then God showed me something that changed everything. The mind of the flesh is a deep cold night, and the mind of Christ is endless light, but the darkness seems normal until one beholds the light.

2. Some believers will downgrade the spiritual walk in order to agree with the bible but in a superficial way. With time we learn to be more gentle, more understanding, exercising more self-control...etc These things come with age. But how is that different in fruit than older people of religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism...etc? Are there not many godly people among them? Is the fruit we are producing of a whole OTHER order? Or are we just improving on our own walks by the taming of the flesh?

Yes, I agree with this also. We can mellow with age - some of us, anyway! ;) Or we can pursue learning and understanding of ourselves, and apply ourselves to become better behaved, softer spoken, of a more controlled mind. Using worldly religions can help one to focus on becoming a better person, reforming their character, that is, the patterns of thought and behavior that arise from our fleshy mind.

People can come to seem quite spiritual in a certain sense, by retraining their minds to think better, to have a better attitude, things like that.

I think that when we are walking in the Spirit, that this retraining is happening as well, as our brains follow along with the lives we live, wiring themselves to support the choices we make, and the things we do. Renewing the mind.

The walk in the Spirit is not like an up and down walk in the flesh. Christ's perfection is not faded in and out of. One does not need to be "prayed up" or read the Bible for building up the inner man if one is already walking in the keeping power of Christ. Falling from such a high place is traumatic...and the entrance into the Spirit is dramatic...whereby the the outer man is pinned to the wall so that the weak inner man can walk in the light of an eternal life.

Again, I agree, we do not "partially" walk in the Spirit. When we are walking in the Spirit, our entire being is Spirit controlled, so that we ourselves - the new man - freely lives without the intrusion of the flesh. Like you say, "pinned to the wall", or as I've thought myself, "silenced". We don't grow in love - we love. We don't grow in kindness, we are kind. We grow in the knowledge how how to love, even as the Spirit demonstrates love though us, that's how we learn.

So as the Spirit empowers our lives, we live out God's way, and doing so retrains our mind, our brain, to live His way. Improving our character, so our flesh fights us less. Renewing the mind.

I don't know that I'd say across the board that our experiences will mirror each other's. But indeed I know the exact moment that God imparted that to me, and the exact moment it stopped, this are indelible in my memory. However, leaving that blessed state was at my own request. I didn't realize how God would answer my prayer, but I realized I couldn't help others, only to say, "I hope God gives this gift to you also". It was after I asked that God would enable me to share this with others, that His faith-gift ended, and I returned to my previous state. But I could never be the same again, and knew that this is the abundant life, and so began the training in faith to continue in a spiritural walk.

God truly has given us the power of an abundant life, but we think we are disqualified, can't get there from here,

What has changed in our time is that people have become more "democratic"...people hate to think they are not able to do what others can. There is a remarkable lack of humility and fear of the Lord today...and these markers show how far the church has fallen from it's original place of BOTH holiness (for those called into the spiritual walk) AND righteousness (among those who meekly seek to do what is possible to do in their own strength).

I don't know how much this is changed or stayed the same, but I think you are essentially correct, that many simply don't realize the difference between struggling along working on improving their character and thereby improve their walk, and trusting in Jesus to walk in the Spirit. The one requires much time and effort for results, but walking in the Spirit produces the fruit in our lives now.

If we are walking in the Spirit, we will know the fruit of the Spirit. That is what will describe our lives. And aside from the Spirit's fruit in us, there will be whatever plan God has for each of us individually. Personally I've see significant differences in what God does in different people, but there is alway the commonality of the spiritual fruit.

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only this morning I was reading Matthew 28 and verse 20 where Jesus says, "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
And was awed by the fact that the Holy Spirit is with me all the time.

As to you question at the end, I think reading your bible regularly and praying about everythin is vital to the success of our spiritual walk with God.

Realizing that Jesus is always with me, never leaves me, never condemns me, forever loves me, this is really the foundation for my faith that I may walk in the Spirit. I don't have to "try" to walk in the Spirit, God just does that when I trust Him fully. But that's where I have to make the effort, that I trust Him - consistently.

Bible reading and prayer are a huge part of that for me, as I trust God more as I come to know Him better.

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
I try to watch daily mass and some sermons. They are replacement for my bible reading as I get headaches from reading. And I get blessed with the spirit this way and also when I serve God. It is important that we come to know what things bring the Spirit of God into our lives. This is how we follow God. He leads us with the Holy Spirit towards his will and way.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I try to watch daily mass and some sermons. They are replacement for my bible reading as I get headaches from reading. And I get blessed with the spirit this way and also when I serve God. It is important that we come to know what things bring the Spirit of God into our lives. This is how we follow God. He leads us with the Holy Spirit towards his will and way.
Here's something I listen to:

I have the entire Bible read by this fellow, I love to listen to it as I go about my day.

Much love!

Reactions: dev553344

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Phil.2:5 ( context 2-8)
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
To be consistent in our daily walk with God we must not think as humans but be heavenly minded and think like the Lord. If we have this thinking we will ALWAYS question the desires of the flesh and the lust of the eyes, bc SIN SEPERATES us from HIM for God hates sin !

Romans 8:9 ( context 7-10)
But ye are NOT in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the SPIRIT OF GOD DWELL IN YOU. Now if ANY MAN HAVE NOT the Spirit of Christ, he is none of HIS.
This is the ONLY way to walk consistently in Christ is to have the HOLY SPIRIT dwell in you and empower Christ work and rely on him. We don't have the power to subdue our fleshy desires but the Spirit does !
We can only walk pleasing to God by living in Christ by the indwelling of the Spirit, trusting the Spirit and Christ to know the mind of God !

Rms.8:16 ( context 14-17)
The SPIRIT itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we ARE THE CHILDREN OF GOD:
You will know when you have rejected the journey GOD has set before each and are walking according to flesh for the Spirit will prick your conscience.
Then the key is to repent ,turn from sinful desires by the Spirit and renew your mind upon God. If in this we fail and sin begins to build up in our lives then we fall away from our faith.
Rev2:5 talks about the candlesticks of the church ages and their consequences for allowing sin, He said to REPENT, and do their first works over or else he would come quickly and REMOVE their candlestick OUT of his place, EXCEPT THOU REPENT.