Contrite heart and spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we have read the verses and love them yea? Psalm 51:12-17 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. [13] Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee. [14] Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness. [15] O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise. [16] For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it : thou delightest not in burnt offering. [17] The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Psalm 34:17-20 The righteous cry, (Job 36:13) and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. [18] The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. [19] Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all. [20] He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken.

Beautiful and hopeful yet what is contrite? I’ve always thought to be of an “broken and contrite heart” means broken by this world. but can one be broken by this world yet feel no remorse? Can one be hardened by the brokenness where nothing penetrates or enters into the heart? hardened by sorrow and offended by not getting what we had hoped to get out of this life? So I’m revisiting of ‘an contrite heart’.

Google search of contrite: “adjective. caused by or showing sincere remorse. filled with a sense of guilt and the desire for atonement; penitent: a contrite sinner.”

I highlighted “showing sincere remorse” because of the word “sincere” seems important. 2 Corinthians 2:15-17 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish: [16] To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things? [17] For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
(Joshua 24:14), (1 Corinthians 5:8), (2 Corinthians 8:7-8)
2 Corinthians 1:12 For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward.

Titus 2:7-8 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, [8] Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

this “sincerity” above makes me consider the teaching Christ Jesus gave on “which do you think did the will of his father”
Matthew 21:28-30 But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. [29] He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went. [30] And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not.

Contrite: deeply affected with grief and sorrow for having offended God. “Crushed”
the act of grinding or rubbing to power.

Last edited:
Reactions: amigo de christo

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contrite
showing sincere remorse. filled with a sense of guilt and the desire for atonement;

deeply affected with grief and sorrow for having offended God. “Crushed”
the act of grinding or rubbing to power.

2 Corinthians 7:8-11 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. [9] Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. [10] For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. [11] For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent:

Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: …For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
This makes me think of where His word speaks of ‘no chastening for the present seem that to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; and make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.’

James 4:8-10 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.

The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit

Continued from James: Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. [9] Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. [10] Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Contrite: showing sincere remorse. filled with a sense of guilt and the desire for atonement; deeply affected with grief and sorrow for having offended God. Isaiah 57:14-15 And shall say, Cast ye up, cast ye up, prepare the way, take up the stumblingblock out of the way of my people. [15] For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Reactions: amigo de christo