Darkness Falling (not the movie)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote some messages years ago which I posted on this site more recently which I titled 7 messages for our time, 7 indictments against our nation. These were just messages about the spiritual condition of the USA and by extension, of the western world. I felt lead by the Lord to write them, to send them out to certain church leaders, and finally to post them publicly. The first was titled "The coming darkness" and was based upon a passage from the book of Isaiah which seemed more than relevant to our time:
19 And when they say to you, “Seek those who are mediums and wizards, who whisper and mutter,” should not a people seek their God? Should they seek the dead on behalf of the living? 20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Isaiah 8:19-20.
This last Saturday, my wife persuaded me (rather easily) to take her over to an Italian Festival being held at a park in a neighboring community, to sample the cuisine of the local businesses. While roaming about in the midst of varying amusements, rides, demonstrations, etc., looking for some suitable tasty ethnic food, we passed a booth with signs declaring "Psychic Tarot readings" and a young man suggested that we stop and find out our future.
I informed the young man that I had a personal relationship with God, so had no reason to go asking the dead about anything, to which he replied, "I'm a Christian."
I just shook my head and told him as I was walking away, "then you shouldn't be doing that," but he kept insisting as we left, "but I'm a Christian."
Does anyone else see a problem with that?
I expect the superstitious, the naïve, the fearful and ungodly to participate in such foolishness, but I never expected to hear someone hawking tarot readings to proclaim, "I'm a Christian," as though this were some sort of justification for participation in a demonic practice.
I've recently been told that there are over a billion Christians on the planet, do you think that such a number might be a bit inflated?
Inquiring minds would like to know.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It sounds like a distraction in his walk with Christ, at the least and demonic at worst. A lot of those psychics are just involved in wishful thinking.

day

Aug 2, 2012
Idaho, USA
Most Churches do not teach believers how to live a Christian lifestyle. Without the Commandments of God, there are no guideposts to mark the right path. Your comment was probably the first time he ever heard that. Hopefully, it will cause him to want to search to know more. We need to support him with prayer.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
day said:
Most Churches do not teach believers how to live a Christian lifestyle. Without the Commandments of God, there are no guideposts to mark the right path. Your comment was probably the first time he ever heard that. Hopefully, it will cause him to want to search to know more. We need to support him with prayer.
I would agree with you in part. The commandments are light, but all of God's word are light (unto our feet). If a person doesn't know the Lord, the Law, or any law, tends to incite our fleshly nature to rebellion. Even as Christians I believe that we retain that fleshly nature, but in opposition to our new nature given with His Spirit through faith in Christ Jesus. I also agree that we should pray for such a person, and I have. Thank you for your comments and your prayer.