Dating someone from church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

yeahyeah

Mar 24, 2008
What do you do if you are interested in someone at church. Maybe you know them well or maybe you don't know them that well, but want to ask them out on a date? I'm a new Christian and feel weird asking a fellow church member out on a date. If she said no I think I would feel awkward around her for awhile. Same for if we dated for a little while but it didn't work out. Thoughts, opinions?

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
Hm,I first ask yourself this.1) Does this get in the way of my relationship with God2) Do you look her for the right reasons3) Can you be yourselfYou do not want to get started on a relationship before you can balance out everything,you may like her a lot but if it does not glorify God,it is only harming you. If she says no,it may be the lack of knowledge about yourself,get to know her first,well better,then ask her. Remember God is a jealous God he wants all of our attention,do not let her get more than Him.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Start out on a friendship basis get to know her as Durkster said then maybe invite her to go with group of friends, So then if she says No its not so awkward as a one on one date

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Get to know her parents.
wink.gif

zail

Feb 14, 2008
Yeah, I have to agree with the "friends" approach. It IS awkward if you try to date someone at church and things don't work out. I have always regret doing that in the past. My wife and I now go to a chirch where a girl that I tried to date back in high school goes. Awkward. That was years before I met my wife and obviously I don't like her anymore, but I'm still that guy she said "no" to a few times. Friendship is more realistic until things mature "naturally". A dating relationship has some perks, but asking for those upfront is too blunt for a lot of people who are looking for something long-term. I understand how friendship is hard though if you want more, but I know a bunch of people that fell in love after they were friends for a while. If a relationship is built on that, instead of on "dating", they tend to last longer. Supposedly dating's just to find a life-partner, right? So going about it as a friend is a better idea anyways.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
ask her out...if she says no, then she says no...I'm quite sure it won't be the first time you've heard it and it won't be the last. But you will never know what the answer will be, unless you ask....my two cents
rolleyes.gif
adventure is GOOD

Nov 8, 2007
(Wakka;42749)
Get to know her parents.
wink.gif

YES THIS SHOULD BE PRIMARY!!! You not only have to win her heart, but prove to her father you are worthy. As Christians, we are not to look for a Girlfriend of Boyfriend, but our wife or Husband. Start out as friends, and get to know the family, especially the dad first. Win their hearts, and ask the Dad if you can Court his daughter, if he approves and sees you're worthy then go for it. If he doesn't think so, there must be something wrong LOL. Pray about it First, Take everything to the Lord in Prayer.:pray:

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
I think Unorthodox,you are refering to the olden days,we should not look for our wife or husband.We should look for somebody we like,looking for your husband or wife is to far in my opinion. Date,see how it goes,then make that decision.

Nov 8, 2007
I mean when you date someone, that doesn't mean that's your girlfriend or boyfriend right away. First it's Friendship, then you Date, then you ask the Father for courtship and a formal Relationship, you're now Couples. Then you get to know each other more, then there's engagement, and finally Marriage. But if you are Looking for Someone, and if you are a True Born Again believer, IMHO you're supposed to seek God, then pray for someone. IMHO When I see Jesus Taking his Bride, he didn't look for a girlfriend, he looked for a People to marry. Well I hope I'm not causing division or contention. I think I'm trying to give a lesson rather than helping the thread starter. If I do cause contention, my deepest apologies brethren.

bondsemerson

Mar 22, 2008
I think mainly you should prey about it and ask God for his help,if God thinks she is right for you it will become clear...If you love God and have repeated of your sins,preying about this will help...
smile.gif