Defile Not The Sabbath = Exodus 20;8-11, Jeremiah 17;21-23, 27, Mark 2;23-28, Luke 13;11-17

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miz KJV Only

Oct 20, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Defile Not The Sabbath = Exodus 20;8-11, Jeremiah 17;21-23, 27, Mark 2;23-28, Luke 13;11-17
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exodus 20;8-11
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exodus 31;13-17
Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my Sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. Ye shall keep the Sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Nehemiah 13;15-21
In those days saw I in Judah some treading winepresses on the Sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and lading asses; as also wine, grapes, and figs, and all manner of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the Sabbath day: and I testified against them in the day wherein they sold victuals. There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the Sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem. Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the Sabbath day? Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? Yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the Sabbath.

And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the Sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the Sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the Sabbath day. So the merchants and sellers of all kind of ware lodged without Jerusalem once or twice. Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? If ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the Sabbath.

Jeremiah 17;21-23, 27
Thus saith the LORD; Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem; Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the Sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers. But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction.

But if ye will not hearken unto me to hallow the Sabbath day, and not to bear a burden, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.

Matthew 12;1-8
At that time Jesus went on the Sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat. But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto Him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the Sabbath day. But He said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him; How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?

Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the Sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless? But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple. But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of man is Lord even of the Sabbath day.

Mark 2;23-28
And it came to pass, that He went through the corn fields on the Sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn. And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the Sabbath day that which is not lawful? And He said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him? How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him? And He said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath: Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath.

Luke 13;11-17
And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself. And when Jesus saw her, He called her to Him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity. And He laid His hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God. And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the Sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day.

The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the Sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering? And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day? And when He had said these things, all his adversaries were ashamed: and all the people rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by Him.

AMEN

Reactions: Ancient

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, everything in Leviticus 23 pointed to Jesus, so God made the Sabbath day (the letter of the law) to be kept to the letter, then someday they would know the Spirit of that law, Jesus who gives us rest through freedom from sin.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exodus 20;8-11
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exodus 31;13-17
Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my Sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. Ye shall keep the Sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Nehemiah 13;15-21
In those days saw I in Judah some treading winepresses on the Sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and lading asses; as also wine, grapes, and figs, and all manner of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the Sabbath day: and I testified against them in the day wherein they sold victuals. There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the Sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem. Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the Sabbath day? Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? Yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the Sabbath.

And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the Sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the Sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the Sabbath day. So the merchants and sellers of all kind of ware lodged without Jerusalem once or twice. Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? If ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the Sabbath.

Jeremiah 17;21-23, 27
Thus saith the LORD; Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem; Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the Sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers. But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction.

But if ye will not hearken unto me to hallow the Sabbath day, and not to bear a burden, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.

Matthew 12;1-8
At that time Jesus went on the Sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat. But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto Him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the Sabbath day. But He said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him; How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?

Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the Sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless? But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple. But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of man is Lord even of the Sabbath day.

Mark 2;23-28
And it came to pass, that He went through the corn fields on the Sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn. And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the Sabbath day that which is not lawful? And He said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him? How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him? And He said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath: Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath.

Luke 13;11-17
And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself. And when Jesus saw her, He called her to Him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity. And He laid His hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God. And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the Sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day.

The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the Sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering? And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day? And when He had said these things, all his adversaries were ashamed: and all the people rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by Him.

AMEN

The sabbath was a serious law, and under the law violators were executed. Christians are not bound by the sabbath law thankfully as virtually every one if not every one of us has violated it. It is the only one of the 10 commandments that we no longer have under the law of the Christ.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sabbath was a serious law, and under the law violators were executed. Christians are not bound by the sabbath law thankfully as virtually every one if not every one of us has violated it. It is the only one of the 10 commandments that we no longer have under the law of the Christ.
We have 10 commandments not 9, at no time has the Lords Sabbath been revoked or replaced

Reactions: Ancient

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have 10 commandments not 9, at no time has the Lords Sabbath been revoked or replaced

It is not included in the law of the Christ sir. Paul penned:
(Colossians 2:13-17) . . .He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake. 15 He has stripped the governments and the authorities bare and has publicly exhibited them as conquered, leading them in a triumphal procession by means of it. 16 Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon or of a sabbath. 17 Those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ.

As you can see there, we are not to judge anyone in connection with the sabbath, but I will say if a person chooses to obey the law covenant, they should be judged by law, do you agree? Likely you know the penalty for disobeying the sabbath correct? Num 15:32-36 Have you ever violated the sabbath? I personally do not know anyone who hasn't.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Miz KJV Only; good to see you on the forums. Interesting that the law was changed (Hebrews 7.12) and what the believer now has is better than the law (Hebrews 7.19).
"For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God." Heb 7:19

A better hope indeed, which means God expects and requires more of us than He did of those under the law given to Moses.

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

Consider what that means as God has never been a respecter of persons!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God did not put a ceremonial law in the 10 commandments. The Sabbath was given as a command to "Remember". How wise are you, O Lord, who knew man would forget, or lessen it, and he sure did! The Sabbath was a memorial of Creation--it set God aside from all of the other gods man would worship. Rev 14:12 talks about Him as Creator "“Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters." We now have people who would take that away from Him, by saying Oh, God used evolution, etc. instead of Psalm 33:9 'For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast." 6 days, just like He said, 7th day He rested.

And what did Jesus say?

Matt22:36-40
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jesus said to love the Lord with all your heart,and love your neighbor as yourself. He was reiterating what it says in the OT, because both of these are found in the OT:

Deut 6:5 "And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Lev 19:18 " Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord."

Interesting to note in Matt 24 that Jesus said Pray that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day( not sabbath days). If it was going to be done away with at the Cross, why mention it? We sure still have winter. He could have stopped there.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Robert Gwin,
re: "(Colossians 2:13-17) . . .He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake."

To what specific handwritten document do you think that is referring?

re: "16 Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon or of a sabbath."

Judgement with regard to what concerning eating and drinking and the festivals, new moons and sabbaths?

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, everything in Leviticus 23 pointed to Jesus, so God made the Sabbath day (the letter of the law) to be kept to the letter, then someday they would know the Spirit of that law, Jesus who gives us rest through freedom from sin.
Contrary to what "Christianity" teaches, the festivals were not given to "point to Christ". They reveal God's plan of salvation, which adherents of Orthodox Christianity would know if they obeyed God. Your theology is also false for at least 3 reasons:

1. Romans teaches that the commandments are spiritual, including the Sabbath. Exodus 31 makes this clear where God says He does His sanctifying work on the Sabbath.

2. The Israelites were commanded to keep the letter of the Sabbath because most of them weren't given God's Spirit.

3. Christ's atoning work does not absolve Christians from their responsibility to keep God's commandments. As Paul taught in the Corinthian letters, Christians are expected to live by the spirit of the commandments and not just the letter. Christ does not save people in their sins, and nowhere does the Bible teach that Christ giving Christians rest from sin means they can disregard His Father's commandments. Christ plainly stated in John that His true followers will keep His Father's commandments like He did.
Robert Gwin,
re: "(Colossians 2:13-17) . . .He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake."

To what specific handwritten document do you think that is referring?

re: "16 Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon or of a sabbath."

Judgement with regard to what concerning eating and drinking and the festivals, new moons and sabbaths?
This is false theology, because God's laws aren't handwritten documents. Matter of fact, Paul wasn't even referring to God's laws in Col. 2:14 because God's laws were given for humanity's benefit and "cheirographon dogma" is referring to man-made edicts. God's laws were not invented by any man. Theologically speaking, Paul is actually referring to Christ blotting out someone's sin record when they truly become converted.

Another piece of irony that antinomians can't appreciate is that in their efforts to use Col. 2:16-17 as an argument that Paul taught that the Sabbath was abolished, the historical context reveals the opposite was true. The Colossians were judged by unconverted people for keeping the commanded Sabbaths. The message Paul was actually conveying in that passage is that no one except people who are in the Church have any right to judge someone for keeping the Sabbaths and the manner in which those people are keeping the Sabbaths.

In other words, Paul is teaching against the self-righteousness of people who reject the Sabbath for presuming that they have the authority or ability to judge anyone who obeys God by keeping His commanded festivals. While antinomians think they're in the right for judging Sabbath keepers and accusing them for hating God's grace, they reality is that they're just following the poor example of Job's friends.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contrary to what "Christianity" teaches, the festivals were not given to "point to Christ". They reveal God's plan of salvation, which adherents of Orthodox Christianity would know if they obeyed God.

You are putting the Sabbath day above believing in Jesus. That keeping the Sabbath is how to be saved.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are putting the Sabbath day above believing in Jesus. That keeping the Sabbath is how to be saved.
I am not putting the Sabbath day above believing in Jesus. It is because I believe Jesus' words that i keep the Sabbath. Like other "Christians" who reject the Sabbath, you think believing in Christ's existence is more important than believing what He said. As Christ said in Matt. 7:24-25, the people who applies His words to their lives are the ones who are built on the true foundation.

And as far as whether someone has to keep the Sabbath or not to be saved, let's see what the Bible has to say about this:

“Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you." - Exo. 31:16

As God said in that passage, keeping the Sabbath is a sign that the person keeping it has a relationship with Him and is being sanctified by Him. If someone isn't keeping the Sabbath, they are not being sanctified by Him. If they aren't being sanctified, they're not saved. It's really that simple. Even if you want to argue that it was Old Covenant theology, Jesus basically said the same thing to a man who asked Him what he had to do to receive eternal life:

"Now behold, one came and said to Him, 'Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?' So He said to him, 'Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” - Matt. 19:16-17

There was no better opportunity for Jesus to tell everyone that the only thing they had to do was believe He exists and that He came to free them from the obligation of keeping His Father's commandments. But that isn't what He said, now did He? He told the man to live by the Father's commandments if he wanted to receive eternal life. 1 Cor. 6:9-10, Rev. 21:8, and Rev. 22:15 all agree with Christ's statement in Matt. 19:17: anyone who has any expectations of receiving eternal life had better keep God's commandments.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Exodus 20;8-11

Exodus 31;13-17

Nehemiah 13;15-21

Jeremiah 17;21-23, 27

Matthew 12;1-8

Mark 2;23-28

Luke 13;11-17

AMEN

does keeping the sabbath include divine worship?