denominational foods or foods well known for their denominational flavor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
JUST thought this would be fun ill start; and then list your well known foods that go with your denomination and locations where it is eaten most..

some foods well known And locations where their are a lot of lutherans and are well known for eating it..

yum yum yuck

Acorn soup and fry bread -----------American Lutherans Apache nations of the white mtns and san carlos

Brautts and beer --------German lutherans------ really well known for lutherans to eat in wisconsin

Lutafisk and Lefse------- scandanavian lutherans------- really well known for lutherans banquets
in upper midwest

this fellow talks about baptist food strange stuff baptist's eat guess they dont know how good lutefisk is :D

http://dorcassmucker.blogspot.com/2011/06/baptists-and-food.html

i guess prebyterians eat layer cakes and catholics eat kibbie? whats kibbie? i hope they dont mean kitty
well if they do .. it could not be worse than lutfisk ! :D

http://www.ourstate.com/bill-smith-church-supper/

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LUTEFISK RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from Garrison Keillor's book Lake Wobegon Days:

Every Advent we entered the purgatory of lutefisk, a repulsive gelatinous fishlike dish that tasted of soap and gave off an odor that would gag a goat. We did this in honor of Norwegian ancestors, much as if survivors of a famine might celebrate their deliverance by feasting on elm bark. I always felt the cold creeps as Advent approached, knowing that this dread delicacy would be put before me and I'd be told, "Just have a little." Eating a little was like vomiting a little, just as bad as a lot.

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems many of your posts are denominational related.
Denomination is not an important part of my faith and I wonder why it is important to you.
I know the difference may pertain to where you live, it is discussed often in your area of your country?

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I am Scandinavian and refuse to even consider trying Lutefisk

Some more descriptions

Lutefisk is cod that has been dried in a lye solution. It looks like the desiccated cadavers of squirrels run over by trucks, but after it is soaked and reconstituted and the lye is washed out and it's cooked, it looks more fish-related, though with lutefisk, the window of success is small. It can be tasty, but the statistics aren't on your side. It is the hereditary delicacy of Swedes and Norwegians who serve it around the holidays, in memory of their ancestors, who ate it because they were poor. Most lutefisk is not edible by normal people. It is reminiscent of the afterbirth of a dog or the world's largest chunk of phlegm.

Lutefisk is not food, it is a weapon of mass destruction. It is currently the only exception for the man who ate everything. Otherwise, I am fairly liberal, I gladly eat worms and insects, but I draw the line on lutefisk.

Dear Ann Landers
Our country home had a family of Racoons living under the porch .... so we put some lutefisk there and the raccoons went away,
But now we have a family of Norwegians living under our house
What should we do ??

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
soupy said:
Denomination is not an important part of my faith and I wonder why it is important to you.
I know the difference may pertain to where you live, it is discussed often in your area of your country?

this is about any ones denomination its not about faith its about their food .
its just a fun topic

Arnie Manitoba said:
I am Scandinavian and refuse to even consider trying Lutefisk

Some more descriptions

Lutefisk is cod that has been dried in a lye solution. It looks like the desiccated cadavers of squirrels run over by trucks, but after it is soaked and reconstituted and the lye is washed out and it's cooked, it looks more fish-related, though with lutefisk, the window of success is small. It can be tasty, but the statistics aren't on your side. It is the hereditary delicacy of Swedes and Norwegians who serve it around the holidays, in memory of their ancestors, who ate it because they were poor. Most lutefisk is not edible by normal people. It is reminiscent of the afterbirth of a dog or the world's largest chunk of phlegm.

Lutefisk is not food, it is a weapon of mass destruction. It is currently the only exception for the man who ate everything. Otherwise, I am fairly liberal, I gladly eat worms and insects, but I draw the line on lutefisk.

Dear Ann Landers
Our country home had a family of Racoons living under the porch .... so we put some lutefisk there and the raccoons went away,
But now we have a family of Norwegians living under our house
What should we do ??
last one tops them all .. funny

soupy said:
because my denomination is all about doctrines the bibles doctrines .. the bible is our pope

http://bookofconcord.org/fc-ep.php

Levi

May 30, 2013
I went to a priest ordination one time and afterwards they had kegs of beer - so my entire life I've thought the choice food for Catholics was alcohol. :)

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
Levi said:
I went to a priest ordination one time and afterwards they had kegs of beer - so my entire life I've thought the choice food for Catholics was alcohol. :)
St paul used alcohol the bible says to setle his stomac to much of it though will unsetle a stomac and give one a head ake to boot..

my brother in law comes form a large irish catholic family his dad really was at one time was head of NYPD.His dad passed away several years ago now ..i am very familar with irish catholic weddings which can easly run in the hundreads of thousands of dollars if the family has money . the booze flows non stop from multiple bars. any thing one wants .. excepting what i wanted .. blackbery brandy did they have that no! of course not!! everything else underthe sun and than some.. but not that.. :lol:

Levi

May 30, 2013
horsecamp said:
St paul used alcohol the bible says to setle his stomac to much of it though will unsetle a stomac and give one a head ake to boot..

my brother in law comes form a large irish catholic family his dad really was at one time was head of NYPD.His dad passed away several years ago now ..i am very familar with irish catholic weddings which can easly run in the hundreads of thousands of dollars if the family has money . the booze flows non stop from multiple bars. any thing one wants .. excepting what i wanted .. blackbery brandy did they have that no! of course not!! everything else underthe sun and than some.. but not that.. :lol:
I was about 10 years old at the time, it was a cousin who became the priest. I personally do not drink and believe in the scripture when it speaks of not eating or drinking and cause a brother to fall.

However, we're not to judge others for what they drink or eat, or what they keep for their holy days. I've just been convicted (at 19) - I should avoid it myself.

Now that you mention the wedding, I wonder why Catholicism readily accepts this?

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Levi said:
Please invite me next time :) :) :) .... I will even bring some Blackberry liqueur for Horsecamp.

I am not Irish and I am not Catholic .... but some of the most fun people to be around are Irish-Catholics at a wedding .... what a hoot .... and they remained proper Christians throughout ... hehe

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
they have a lot of fun and some of them feel the worst for it in the morning. .Others are much more conservative but have fun .

they sure throw a party. . I always though it would be funny just to serve coffee and tea at a Irish wedding . but they would just wait around for the real party to begin. :D

Levi

May 30, 2013
I'm not sure if the priests and other Catholics behaved themselves or not while drinking the kegs of beer, I was 10 and playing baseball in the backyard with the other kids.

I'm not sure how much I would enjoy being around someone that was drunk though, I don't think much fun. My interests are much different.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
Levi said:
I'm not sure if the priests and other Catholics behaved themselves or not while drinking the kegs of beer, I was 10 and playing baseball in the backyard with the other kids.

I'm not sure how much I would enjoy being around someone that was drunk though, I don't think much fun. My interests are much different.
some one becoming obnoxiously drink would ruin the party .. I never scene anything like that. .